Italian Espresso Drinkers FC. vs The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur EUROPA LEAGUE

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Obviously, I want to win the league more than anything else, but a European trophy is nothing to scoff at, and we should take the possibility of winning one seriously.

With the way this season is going the Europa League is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. It would be great to win, but I won't be as disappointed if we lose.

Poch's teams have a history of fading out in the final games of the season. This is because they are starting to fatigue. We still have just under a third of the PL season left to play with a relatively small squad.
Why then would a Spurs fan want them to continue in either cup competition, involving yet more travel and games, when we have a shot at the title?

Poch's teams have a history of fading out in the final games of the season. This is because they are starting to fatigue. We still have just under a third of the PL season left to play with a relatively small squad.
Why then would a Spurs fan want them to continue in either cup competition, involving yet more travel and games, when we have a shot at the title?
We were actually fairly consistent in the latter half of last season. Our performances weren't great, but points-wise we were fine

Totti Totti Yes I am still here even though I rarely post.
Enjoying the great run of the Spurs in this ever-so-interesting PL, with the detestable Chelski out of the way, Ranieri taking his revenge on Mourinho, it's almost a dreamlike scenario.

Fiorentina have a shot at a CL spot so there's a share of fans who don't want us to go full strength on Thursday.
Say 50%, and I am not one of them, I like Europa nights.
However I don't see Paulo Sousa holding his starters back either.
My guess is the following 4-2-3-1

[formation=4231, Sepe, Roncaglia, Gonzalo, Astori, M. Alonso, Vecino, Tino Costa, Ilicic, Borja Valero, Bernardeschi, Kalinic][/formation]

However we switched to 4231 only recently to fit Cristian Tello in the XI... But Tello cannot play in the EL (he played with Porto in the first half of the season) so maybe we'll go back to 3-4-2-1?
In that case it'd most likely be like this

[formation=343, Sepe, Roncaglia, Gonzalo, Astori, Bernardeschi, Vecino, Tino Costa, Marcos Alonso, Ilicic, Kalinic, Borja Valero][/formation]

Disagree with people saying fuck the Europa.

Rotate, obviously, but fuck it, I want to win it all!

This, massively. After all being in Europe is still bloody brilliant for fans. Trips, beers, "culture"... bloody love it. And as far as the football itself was concerned, Bill Nich always wanted us to put our heart and soul into it. I for one can't wait to see the all white kit come out on Thursday and will swell with pride at our team, that after the downs we as fans have had over the last 20 years, finally look like they're on to something.

I don't think we have the squad to play a truly weakened team. We have a squad to cope with the rigours of a full season. I don't want to risk a tilt for the title but I would, if prioritising is necessary, have the EL behind the league and the FA Cup.

For the Fiorentina match I'd go for

Vorm

Trippier
Davies
Wimmer
CCV

Bentaleb
Carroll

Chadli
Lamela
Eriksen

Son

It's a team that is strong enough, without question but rests the key personnel of those who have either played by far and away the most minutes (Toby, Kane, Dier) or are susceptible to injury/fatigue (Dembele and Alli).

There can be no accusation of fielding stiffs, that is an accomplished side, competitive without question.

I don't think we have the squad to play a truly weakened team. We have a squad to cope with the rigours of a full season. I don't want to risk a tilt for the title but I would, if prioritising is necessary, have the EL behind the league and the FA Cup.

Vorm

Trippier
Davies
Wimmer
CCV

Bentaleb
Carroll

Chadli
Lamela
Eriksen

Son

It's a team that is strong enough, without question but rests the key personnel of those who have either played by far and away the most minutes (Toby, Kane, Dier) or are susceptible to injury/fatigue (Dembele and Alli).

There can be no accusation of fielding stiffs, that is an accomplished side, competitive without question.

In my opinion the Spurs are so much better than last year that the above team would win the tie easily.
Let alone with Kane and Alli...

I still wanna think we can take this one seriously, but after yesterday, the players deserve the week off...
Youth and Squad players only need apply!

Vorm

Trippier
Davies
Wimmer
CCV

Bentaleb
Carroll

Chadli
Lamela
Eriksen

Son

We don't have any such thing as a weakened team any more!!!

We were actually fairly consistent in the latter half of last season. Our performances weren't great, but points-wise we were fine
we hit an absolute brick wall at Easter. the Burnley 0-0 was one of the worst games in history, and then we lost 0-2 home to Villa. at the time a decent run would have got us to top 4. i think the only decent footie we played was in the 0-1 loss at home to city. by the end it should have been about 3. aguerro missed 2 1 one 0 chances (went past the keeper and missed).

Dannyboys team looks about right, but Mason for Carrol maybe and Josh for Eriksen.

and the final performance v Chavs was so lacking in energy. drab or what

Vorm

Trippier
Davies
Wimmer
CCV

Bentaleb
Carroll

Chadli
Lamela
Eriksen

Son
For me we need to give Bentaleb and Mason a chance, also Carroll plays a lot better further forward than in the double pivot. Considering we don't have a league game we can probably rotate the CBs, Dier, Wimmer and Alderweireld.
[formation=4231, Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Wimmer, Davies, Bentaleb, Mason, Lamela, Carroll, Son, Chadli][/formation]

Sorry to say this but after today's game fuck the Europa.

Vorm, Trippier, Dier, Wimmer, Davies, Mason,Benteleb, Lamela, Carroll, Chadli, Son

Our rise up the league table has been built partly on the momentum of the cup wins vs Leicester and Colchester........I say rather than drop a competition and lose that winning feeling, just keep going for as long as possible.

If we can get this 5 PL game winning streak to 10 wins (which includes the Scum game) then I think we win the league regardless of having fixture congestion.

Totti Totti Yes I am still here even though I rarely post.
Enjoying the great run of the Spurs in this ever-so-interesting PL, with the detestable Chelski out of the way, Ranieri taking his revenge on Mourinho, it's almost a dreamlike scenario.

Fiorentina have a shot at a CL spot so there's a share of fans who don't want us to go full strength on Thursday.
Say 50%, and I am not one of them, I like Europa nights.
However I don't see Paulo Sousa holding his starters back either.
My guess is the following 4-2-3-1

[formation=4231, Sepe, Roncaglia, Gonzalo, Astori, M. Alonso, Vecino, Tino Costa, Ilicic, Borja Valero, Bernardeschi, Kalinic][/formation]

However we switched to 4231 only recently to fit Cristian Tello in the XI... But Tello cannot play in the EL (he played with Porto in the first half of the season) so maybe we'll go back to 3-4-2-1?
In that case it'd most likely be like this

[formation=343, Sepe, Roncaglia, Gonzalo, Astori, Bernardeschi, Vecino, Tino Costa, Marcos Alonso, Ilicic, Kalinic, Borja Valero][/formation]

Good to see you here my friend.

I said the same in another thread. Half the glory about the Europa League is qualifying for the CL but if Spurs themselves have an amazing chance of qualifying through the league (as well as pushing on for the title) is it worth the risk of full strength?

Will be interesting to see the teams put out. Must admit, the Europa League is looking pretty damn tough this year.

Back
Top Bottom