It All Seems So Obvious Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

JDK

Raw Ill give it to ya no trivia. Okay, some trivia
In the Summer everything looked so bright with all the business we had done. But looking back now it seems really obvious where it all went wrong. In the two 2013 windows we purchased nine players with a combined two Premier League appearance who were an average of 22.4 years old. We turned over this batch of youth—who were expected to become the backbone of our team— to a 35 year old manager who had managed under 200 games in his four year career and then after that to a man who had never managed at all (though it seems like he was last choice). We started the season with the third youngest squad and the youngest manager. Furthermore, we had a squad made up of 9 players who had been at the club for less than a year, two more youngsters returning from loans (Townsend and Rose), and one promoted from the academy (Bentaleb). 12 new players total.

In the last two windows we have shipped out a combined 1,952 Premier League appearances. To reiterate they were replaced with 63 Premier League appearances counting Townsend and Rose's appearance numbers.

Looking back it seems so obvious that we were destined to fail with the level of inexperience on the field and the touchline. It isn't hard to understand why we shit ourselves whenever anything goes wrong. Our club is full of players and coaches who are inexperienced with the league, the club, the country, and each other.

I'm not going to get into Sherwood as it is my opinion he was the club's fallback option after they missed on a fair few candidates. For me, the problem was trying to get rapidly younger with an inexperienced young manager like AVB at the helm. We should have added experience to help him to grow as a manager. To simultaneously clear the older players out of the squad and try to fill the Gareth Bale void with a vast majority young players who never played in England all while you had the youngest manager in the league seems like a suicide mission in retrospect. How is it that everyone missed it while it was happening?

Overall, there is a massive void in experience and expertise at the club from boardroom, to the touchline, to the pitch. Almost every single one of our players, coaches, and DOF is relatively new to their role. It isn't a surprise that no one looks like they have a clue because they don't. This summer they need to bring in a fair few who can put them on the scent. Ian Broomfield looks like a good start, lots more needed. Roll up the sleeves Daniel and Co, time to get back to work.

You said our average age is 22.4 or something like that. If we give our guys time to devlop and sgart treating then like 22 year olds and not experinced veterans because of previpus success. The key is to just maining the young guys

Keeper
Walker - CB - Chiriches - Rose
------Sandro - Dembele
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Str

In that lineup iirc sandro is the oldest at 25. Give that team two or so years and we could be incredible. Keeper - Lloris is young, but too good for us currently. Cb - Dawson and Kaboul will be too old in two years. Vertonghen is too good for us currently.
Striker - Adebayor and Soldado will be too old in two years. I cant see Kane being number 1 choice in two years.

You said our average age is 22.4 or something like that. If we give our guys time to devlop and sgart treating then like 22 year olds and not experinced veterans because of previpus success. The key is to just maining the young guys

Keeper
------Sandro - Dembele
Str

In that lineup iirc sandro is the oldest at 25. Give that team two or so years and we could be incredible. Keeper - Lloris is young, but too good for us currently. Cb - Dawson and Kaboul will be too old in two years. Vertonghen is too good for us currently.
Striker - Adebayor and Soldado will be too old in two years. I cant see Kane being number 1 choice in two years.

The average age of our last 9 signings. Being a young side is a good thing, but we need an experienced manager and a few veteran players to make sure our youth develops properly.

We signed seven players in the summer that had zero minutes of Prem football between them. Experience is a huge problem for this squad, both in age and English football.

Is Levy green to it all though? ENIC have been in football nearly 20 years...

He's never really had a knack for it. So while he isn't green, he needs to surround himself with intelligent football people. I think the move to get Broomfield back shows a recognition of that. LVG would further the depth of football knowledge around the club. Though Baldini's player targeting may have let him down it was clear how much smoother negotiations went with him around. Levy being willing to have a guy like that around is encouraging to me even if it didn't quite work.

I think Levy has shown in the last couple of years he might be willing to cede a little bit more of the power at the club to football people. I'm hoping that's a sign that he's learning. Hopefully we bring in a few more smart and experienced footballing brains this summer to get us back on track.

If Citeh don't win the Prem title, there'll be a Chilean with extensive managerial experience looking for a job.

Oh man, I'm not sure I believe they would sack him but I would take Pelligrini in a second.

Keeper
------Sandro - Dembele
Str

i like this selections/formation

i would like us to line up next season

lloris
walker vlad verts (buy a LB)
sandro dembele
lamela holtby eriksen
benteke

Back
Top Bottom