Is winning all that matters?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why we are even considering this dilemma?
Is there a problem with the way we are playing, I don't believe there is. I feel we are putting urgency on this because of the scum, at present doing so well.
Its though we take a step forward to catch up but they start running to keep ahead.
We need to keep faith and believe we can improve.

Why we are even considering this dilemma?
Is there a problem with the way we are playing, I don't believe there is. I feel we are putting urgency on this because of the scum, at present doing so well.
Its though we take a step forward to catch up but they start running to keep ahead.
We need to keep faith and believe we can improve.

Can people stop saying "keep the faith" and "support the team"...etc

Look, its a simple stance, that people just seem to be refusing to accept. I will break it down, very basically and explain my feelings on the issue. I think some others agree, judging by their posts.

1) I believe AVB is the right man for the job, and I want him to stay. I support him and the team. I think we will achieve our targets under him. I like the stability, and am aware players are gelling

2) I also think we are boring to watch right now, and hope that changes

So like scoring 22 goals as opposed to 9, knocking on the oppos door with three passes from their own 18 yard box, using the wings, being good on the eye and sitting on top of the PL, 5pts clear.

Funny how we are doing everything right, but they are lucky or tippy tappy
Calm down chief. I was just asking if your definition of Flowing Football was Tika Taka.

Interesting to compare responses here with my thread from April last year about whether people prefer entertainment or glory..

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/entertainment-or-glory.2041/

Surprisingly a lot of people at the time, even after Chelscum won the CL, opted for entertainment!

Very interesting indeed. Very, very interesting read.

The Chelsea CL win is an excellent point....slagged off to high heaven on here, for being boring even though they had just won the bloody Champions League.

Opinions have all changed so strongly

Im also very surprised how me and Blanchflower used to conversate...what happened? :klinsmann:

it could always be worse lads, we could be chelshite :adelol:

edit: them cunts would go on to get the softest peno ever in the 95th fuckn minute, cunts

Last edited:
2) I also think we are boring to watch right now, and hope that changes

I don't think this is true at all. We are entertaining to watch, you have just been spoiled by having Rafa and Modric together before AVB. It clearly isn't "there" in the final third yet, but we are still a fun team to watch.

Well said Sanchez 18, I love watching us, and have enjoyed this season hugely overall, particularly the Europa games. I was buzzing for days after the Sheriff match, still am to some extent, that was 'old school and new school Spurs' for me and I loved it.

The only thing I don't like is our home crowd, most of the time. Here's hoping the last two 1882 games have shown the way forward and the 'regular Prem crowd' can now pick up the baton tomorrow.

I think it's a completely valid point from @ sammyspurs sammyspurs and a lot of people are making light of our lack of goals by suggesting we just need to gel, However (and that's a capital H)...

This isn't a new predicament, it's an extension of the same football we played last season. The main difference being that last season we had a complete enigma in Gareth Bale seemingly being able to score from anywhere on a football pitch, so our lack of penetration was masked. This is exactly why a lot of Spurs fans were right to be worried about where the goals would come from without him.

I refrain from saying it too much as it makes me sad, but I hate watching us at the moment, despite liking AVB. I just hope he gets this out of his system.

The problem isn't out players execution of the tactics, but the tactics themselves for me. As though all the possession in the world will lead to goals. All that is happening at WHL is teams show our inverted wingers inside where the midfield is completely overcrowded by both teams.

Meanwhile, we are ponderous and slow moving and are completely failing to create any service in the final third. The amount of times I've wanted to take a photo of the whacking great hole sat in the centre of midfield with no Lilywhite shirt to be seen is infuriating. A perfect square of opposition players covering the central ground and not a single Spurs player trying to exploit the space in between... So an attacker drops short, or Dembele tries to wriggle through as the entire defence has time to set-up.

So we finally move the ball into the final third as the earth slowly spins on its axis and there are ten opposition shirts eager and waiting to crowd us out of any meaningful goal scoring opportunity and yet another shot is taken from out side the box.

It is so predictable and defendable that I'm not surprised nobody comes to play football at the Lane. On current showing parking the bus might not get them goals, but it is effectively stopping us scoring in open play. Take away a Townsend swinger and three pens and we are having a very different season.

At this point I can't say a word against Defoe or Soldado as I don't see how people expect them to do anything when we seem completely devoid of a method of getting the ball to them. We might as well be playing without a striker.

Anyway, rant hat off, I'll probably get flamed to oblivion for this but I thought I'd back up the OP as there is a good point there. We might have the second best possession stats in the league and take 20 shots a game, but it's all for naught if they aren't actually likely to go in. You can count on your fingers the amount of players in the world capable of returning a decent tally of goals from outside the area in a season, yet we seem to be basing our whole system on taking swingers.

... Didn't proof read, Lol

I was going to write something about parking the bus etc but @ WookieD WookieD said exactly how I feel. I actually enjoyed the Everton game when they took us on much more than teams putting 11 players in their defensive third. It is little wonder that AVB as Chelsea manager wanted Modric so much.

I've been impressed with Soldado and his ability to make the runs that takes one very often two defenders with him. We just need to capitalise on this. Erickson/Sigurðsson had a good understanding and Holtby is capable. I would actually like to see a final 10 to 20 minutes with both Erickson and Holtby on the pitch rather than Demeble. Final CM either Sandro or Paulinho depending on who is actually parking the bus.

I also think we don't have the balance in the width yet. The left has to defined and utalised more to spread out the "bus". Right now the influence on the right is off put by a stacking of their defense knowing our left wont be doing too much. I'm not talking about symmetry either. We don't HAVE to play two inverted wingers. We just need the left to pose a threat to ensure the opposition are looking both ways!

I don't think this is true at all. We are entertaining to watch, you have just been spoiled by having Rafa and Modric together before AVB. It clearly isn't "there" in the final third yet, but we are still a fun team to watch.

And thats fine. We all have a different taste. But I think its boring, and want things to change, and dont need people telling me Im not supporting the team and dont like AVB because of that.

Interesting to compare responses here with my thread from April last year about whether people prefer entertainment or glory..

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/entertainment-or-glory.2041/

Surprisingly a lot of people at the time, even after Chelscum won the CL, opted for entertainment!

Nice to see a mention of the 6-4 in there by @ YidoBuckler YidoBuckler

I think expectations as a whole and the mindset of the fan base is changing.
Glory at all costs. Including sacrificing our to dare attitude.

AVB has corrected the defense. If we can find something that works in the final 3rd then hopefully some entertainment and glory is possible.

At the moment I get more entertainment watching my boys team play.
(10 games played 51 goals scored - you know where I am Andre)

Well my attitude hasn't changed over the years, I love winning simple as.

I remember my first football heartbreak in 1962, when our great team of those days lost in the semi-final of the European Cup 4-3 on aggregate. It was a glorious defeat, but it hurt, it hurt like billyo - there were tears and players kneeling on the floor, absolutely gutted. Most/all of us would have taken a 1-0 win over the two legs and a final against Real Madrid.

Then I remember two 1-0 Lge Cup final wins v Norwich and Leciester and boy did I enjoy those days way more than that glorious defeat to Benfica.

On the wind up much, Greaves...?
:gallashmm:
Not at all, it's true I tells ya.

I love winning, it's that simple. Plus the crowd made that night extra special.

Plus the emergence of Lamela. Plus JD's record, what's not to like. I don't see how you can't be enthused by that magical night, but if you can't fair enough. I don't know what you want exactly, but the last time we won a trophy with a flair-filled team was, what? 1982?

And even that team needed a brilliant keeper and a solid defence, and just scraped its only trophy with a 1-0 from a penalty v QPR in a final replay. Oh and I loved that too :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom