Is this the start of a relegation battle?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are win a relegation battle (at the start of November)

• Yes 100%. I’m shitting it. The players don’t want it.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • No. Top 4 is definitely still achievable

Votes: 49 49.5%
  • Yes. Only if Poch stays. He’s the problem not the players.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Not sure. But I’m still undecided about Brexit as well.

Votes: 17 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we will finish just north of mid table, 7th or 8th. We have some quality players but we have a manager who currently seems to be making some bizarre decisions.

People can talk about Levy etc and blame him for our recent plight and I am not saying he is totally blameless but most of this is on Pochettino. Levy doesn’t pick the team (we assume) and neither does he motivate the players.

Pochettino had 11 full internationals on the pitch yesterday so quality must be there. I was surprised that he picked an out of form Ali and couldn’t believe he played an out of form/disinterested Eriksen- and then kept them both on for so long when both stank out the place.

I don’t buy the 18-24 month bedding in period that Poch talks about regarding our new signings- even if he is right I would rather he played Ndombele and Lo
Celso than the “fully bedded in” Ali and Eriksen.

All magicians lose their edge eventually- Poch is less Derren Brown these days and more the Great Suprendo from Crackerjack

I got a bit heated tonight, I have a mate who got diagnosed with lung cancer a month ago...he got rushed to hospital this morning with breathing problems and I was waiting on a call to see how he is...I came on here and got a bit pissed off at seeing people worrying about football as if it was the be and end all, when it's fucking not....

Anyway turns out he has pneumonia....stupid cunt is still smoking, no helping some people...

We don't 'worry' about it but it allows us an escape from the trials and tribulations of life and all it's challenges, such as your friend and his illness. I totally understand where you are coming from but now and again we need to forget about our mortality and the problems that face us in the real world. It's a chance to vent our feelings concerning a football team we all love and wish to do well.

Spurs becoming relegated this season would have no real effect upon my life and I doubt, in reality, it would have on anyone else in here. This is simply a place where we exchange views and opinions (and sometimes insults) about what's happening to our club.

I am sorry to hear about your friend (my mother died a few years ago of the same thing). Please however, don't assume that the passion with which we show in our postings in any way degrades or trivialises the stark reality of life's cruel twists and turns. Tottenham is a football club I love and want success for. This forum allows me some friendly banter concerning it's management and future. It also allows me a brief respite from my own personal trials and tribulations regarding health, finance and family. I suggest you allow it to do the same for you.
I have always enjoyed your deliciously dry sense of humour, please do not replace it with bitterness and anger at the outside world.
Take care
:dierpochhug:

Last edited:
Wrong. Last 5 matches out West Ham, Watford, and Norwich have taken 1 point each. We've taken 3. By literal definition, we are not in relegation form.

We're playing poorly, but there's 0.00000% chance of us being relegated. Whether or not that's because the bottom dregs of the league are woeful shite is no matter. The fact is that they are in the league, and therefore even our worst form in decades won't get us relegated this season - which is the discussion at hand.

Not everything has to be the most extreme reaction possible. It's ok to say we're really awfully shit this autumn without immediately overreaching to play the relegation card.

So because we have taken 2 points more than teams in the drop zone or around the drop zone we aren't in relegation form?

You saying there is 0% chance of us being relegated is an extreme reaction if anything, yes, I admit, it's very unlikely and should certainly not happen with this squad but your overconfidence reminds me of when people said Leicester wouldn't win the league and that people were overreacting to their good form.

You don't want to hear that relegation is a possible outcome that's the issue here because the admittance of it being possible would mean that any position or opinion about keeping Poch in a job would become immediately irrelevant.

It's not an overreaction at all mate, if West Ham beat us next game, we are in a battle to stay out of the relegation zone, that's the very definition of a relegation battle, doesn't matter how unrealistic that sounds to you, that's the situation we are currently faced with.

Only when we are ensconced in the bottom 3 by 3 or 4 points will the penny drop for most

For my two cents I don't think we are a million miles off of being in that situation in the next month or so

This is a team that has simply forgotten how to win football matches and no matter how good you perceive our squad to be , it is a squad that has taken less than a point a game in a 25 game stretch with barely any signs of imminent change

That is extremely precarious whether you want to open your eyes and admit it or not

1eli5s.jpg

You should lock down the votes- want to see where followers of Poch stand once we are in the relegation places. All living on a CL run that the club didn't show up in the final for.

It's closing in on 1.5 years of awful performances. Frank Lampard will win a trophy before Poch (well, that's easy coz Poch won win in his career). Players over Poch. Waiting for the man to be sacked, just hope it's not too late.
There are no followers of Poch. Just people who think it might not be such a great idea to jettison him now. Personally I really don’t care if he gets sacked tomorrow or is given the rest of the season. He’s not the club, but I don’t think the supporters (such as we have) are the club either - certainly if this place is anything to go by. It’s a horrible toxic mess, and it’s really no fun anymore.

I truly wonder why some people watch football or support a team at all

Win the CL brilliant
Lose the CL brilliant
Top 4 brilliant
14th brilliant
Play well brilliant
Play shit brilliant

I don't get it either mate, I am not going to stop supporting spurs if we get relegated or if we lose every single game from now until the end of time but it doesn't mean I will be happy about it and I will always believe and expect for us to do better, I will always want us to strive for more.

The day that I become apathetic to shit will be the day I stop watching sports full stop, there's no fucking point once that happens.

Sorry to hear you were hit with a brick ArtyB ArtyB genuinely that's heartfelt, not cunting you off mate.
Want to know the scary bit? It didn't even knock me out...spun me around a bit and the blood spray was a bit unnerving but it wasn't all that...To be honest it was actually a lump of concrete, it must have been pretty old and rotten because it pretty much disintegrated on impact, either that or I have a very fucking hard head...

Last edited:
Wrong. Last 5 matches out West Ham, Watford, and Norwich have taken 1 point each. We've taken 3. By literal definition, we are not in relegation form.

We're playing poorly, but there's 0.00000% chance of us being relegated. Whether or not that's because the bottom dregs of the league are woeful shite is no matter. The fact is that they are in the league, and therefore even our worst form in decades won't get us relegated this season - which is the discussion at hand.

Not everything has to be the most extreme reaction possible. It's ok to say we're really awfully shit this autumn without immediately overreaching to play the relegation card.
I don't agree.

On paper, you are absolutely correct, but on the pitch we are so poor with so little actual effort or passion. If we find ourselves in a fight come Xmas then we should be really worried because we don't have the minerals to battle it out.

This ain't fantasy football.

We would have to lose the next 2 matches whilst Everton, Spam, Villa, Watford, and Southampton take maximum points. We're no where near the relegation fight. We're 6 points from 18th and 3 points from 5th, with the most talented squad of all the clubs outside the top 4.

Spam have us, Chelsea, Wolves, and woolwich on the trot. Even if they beat us, they'll still be below us come December.

Relax...not everything is doom and gloom.

It is pretty close to everything doom and gloom. We’ve picked up 25 points from our last 24 league games. We’re supposed to be one of the Top 10 club sides in the world. There’s no other elite club or club with aspirations of elite status that would have adopted the Nero fiddling as Rome burned down approach that we have. There’s usually only one thing that snaps the kind of rut that we’re in and that’s a new manager bounce.

I looked up season 1976/77 there, the last season we were relegated. We had 14 points on the board after 12 games that season. We’re currently on 14 points after 12 games.

Back
Top Bottom