Is the Tottenham cockerel looking the wrong way?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham's progress in the last few years has been admirable. Whilst we still expect even more of the team week in week out, you can't complain too much about the significant steps we've made as a club in the last 5-10 years. Our rise has been steady but progressive (as it should be) and with future stadium developments on the horizon, it's an exciting time to be following Spurs, so as a club we have every reason to look forward.

However, despite how proud we are of our traditions and achievements since 1882, is it not time we focus on building the Tottenham Hotspur brand to better reflect our rising status in world football? I'm not suggesting a transformation to the extremity that was mooted by Cardiff City recently. There's no way that we're going to become the Tottenham Titans or anything ridiculous. What I'm suggesting is a very subtle, but symbolic change to our existing club badge.

Has anyone ever noticed how the Tottenham cockerel seems to be looking backwards? Would it not better reflect our ambition if it were to be looking the other way? Should we not be building on our strong historical foundations rather than reflecting on them?

The archetypal Spurs follower tends to be extremely pessimistic off the back of perennial failure over the last couple of decades. So could this subtle change to the club crest represent a transition in the attitude of the club and its supporters?

This is just something that's often been on my mind, I'm curious as to what other fans would think. Please don't take it too seriously.

dunno about the Shirt, but the one on the West Stand should certainly be looking AWAY from N5, yes!
Maybe turn him around so he's got a better look at Wembley, or better still, in towards the pitch!

My thoughts on the subject (in the form of a suggested new badge):

New_badge.jpg

What annoys me more is that, given the choice, we always attack towards the Paxton 2nd half. I know that the atmosphere isn't amazing everywhere these days, but it annoys me that the loudest support in the ground has to see any potential match winning, last-minute goals from 100 yards away whilst the players wheel away in celebration towards a bunch of fans who've spent most of the game in silence.

Surely it's best to attack towards the stand that has the most fervent support in the second half? So the fans are practically sucking the ball into the net. Also means the opposition don't get to celebrate with their fans for ages if they happen to score.

We should stick the away fans in the Paxton/Corner of west. May wake them up a bit...

Good shout. I know it won't happen, but ATM we're giving away teams a big boost, by where we put their fans. In the new stadium, IF it ever happens, stick them way up high, so they can't barrack our players the way they can now when taking corners etc.

Also I hadn't noticed about the Paxton End biz, but good shout again. That's a ridiculous way we're doing it ATM. Though, I always think the most important thing is not to face the sun in the first half, unless you're 100% sure it'll be worst in the second half, which in our country's case, is pretty much never.

Similarly always kick with a strong wind behind you in the first half.

Weather first priority, then after that favour the Park Lane every time. That's where our best supporters are, on the whole.

What annoys me more is that, given the choice, we always attack towards the Paxton 2nd half. I know that the atmosphere isn't amazing everywhere these days, but it annoys me that the loudest support in the ground has to see any potential match winning, last-minute goals from 100 yards away whilst the players wheel away in celebration towards a bunch of fans who've spent most of the game in silence.

Surely it's best to attack towards the stand that has the most fervent support in the second half? So the fans are practically sucking the ball into the net. Also means the opposition don't get to celebrate with their fans for ages if they happen to score.

Haven't we always done this?

I totally agree though. A certain game against Wigan stands out in my mind when we done this, as does the first win over Chelsea in ages.

I only brought it up because my old university did the same thing with their logo.

Also, I hate to suggest we follow the scum, but compare their current and previous logos. They've done the same. The Blue Scum have as well.

I work in marketing, so I think like this innit.

I only brought it up because my old university did the same thing with their logo.

Also, I hate to suggest we follow the scum, but compare their current and previous logos. They've done the same. The Blue Scum have as well.

I work in marketing, so I think like is innit.

And then they stopped winning things.

Pisses me off too we're always attacking the Paxton in the 2nd half.

As for the away fans, it's good to have them near our noisiest lot too, creates banter/hostility/tension etc.

Back
Top Bottom