I think I need a new club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't resonate with me one bit. I guess the author is the kind of supporter that when introduced to someone as a Spurs fan he says "for my sins", absolutely no pride or love for the club they claim to support.

The author of this is a tool. We have been steadily progressing for years now, and while Levy has made quite a few mistakes in that time and probably slowed our progression somewhat, it has still been good progression nonetheless. Two top four finishes. Europe every year for a decade, bar one year. A stunning CL run. This title challenge is the result of a decade of little steps. Of biting at the heels of the top four.

We've been knocking on the door for a long time now and if the writer genuinely has experienced the mid-table times, or even the relegation fight of 1998, then he's a fucking idiot for not having spotted that for years now it's been much better (which is one of the reasons I hate boo boys of recent years so much).

The author of this is a tool. We have been steadily progressing for years now, and while Levy has made quite a few mistakes in that time and probably slowed our progression somewhat, it has still been good progression nonetheless. Two top four finishes. Europe every year for a decade, bar one year. A stunning CL run. This title challenge is the result of a decade of little steps. Of biting at the heels of the top four.

We've been knocking on the door for a long time now and if the writer genuinely has experienced the mid-table times, or even the relegation fight of 1998, then he's a fucking idiot for not having spotted that for years now it's been much better (which is one of the reasons I hate boo boys of recent years so much).

Those times of hope really started during the Martin Jol era. Two back to back 5th place finishes and UEFA Cup qualifying really set the tone. It has been small steps, with the odd step backwards but we have most definitely gone from mid-table fodder, to top 6 side, consistent European qualification, culminating in top 4 challenging and finally league challenging.

A lot of fans don't remember the dark days of Alan 'business first' Sugar, Christian 'tube fare' Gross, the man in the raincoat, Glenn 'GHodd' Hoddle, David 'curby' Pleat and Jacques 'tackleberry' Santini.

Those times of hope really started during the Martin Jol era. Two back to back 5th place finishes and UEFA Cup qualifying really set the tone. It has been small steps, with the odd step backwards but we have most definitely gone from mid-table fodder, to top 6 side, consistent European qualification, culminating in top 4 challenging and finally league challenging.

A lot of fans don't remember the dark days of Alan 'business first' Sugar, Christian 'tube fare' Gross, the man in the raincoat, Glenn 'GHodd' Hoddle, David 'curby' Pleat and Jacques 'tackleberry' Santini.

I remember those days well, funny enough that was the time I went to WHL the most and saw some very depressing games.

I always believed that a club like spurs will always bounce back and be glorious again, our club is steeped in history of glory days later of old.

In 1991 we very nearly didn't have a club to support due to financial problems, look at the club now. 2nd in the league, with the youngest squad in the premiership. This is probably the most exited I have been since the 1991 F.A cup final win. It's been a long time coming but worth the wait.

COYS

I cant say its the first time I have been called a 'fucking idiot', although usually not by people hiding behind laptops.

Progress indeed, however, how many times have we taken two steps forward and a massive step back which is kind of my point. Jol, great season 05-06, great position, final game and we fucked it up (Lasagna or no Lasagna). 06-07, big expectations, started shit, fucked it up (copy paste regarding 07-08). Redknap years, got 4th and champions league, next year in a decent position, doing well in champions league and faded. 11-12, do I need to really go into that? 12-13, AVB, 5th mainly cos of Bale. 13-14, spent big, cluster fuck, went from being supposed title contenders to being managed by Sherwood. Then came Poch and steady progress was made. So I stand by my points, if anything, the last few years have enforced my point rather than weakened them.

I am relieved that most people seem to have correctly identified that this was a short, tongue in cheek post about my own experiences of supporting Spurs in which time have come from mid table obscurity to potentially winning the league and beyond...

I remember those days well, funny enough that was the time I went to WHL the most and saw some very depressing games.

I always believed that a club like spurs will always bounce back and be glorious again, our club is steeped in history of glory days later of old.

In 1991 we very nearly didn't have a club to support due to financial problems, look at the club now. 2nd in the league, with the youngest squad in the premiership. This is probably the most exited I have been since the 1991 F.A cup final win. It's been a long time coming but worth the wait.

COYS

Same I did a lot of going to The Lane in the 90s, I had the same expectations of our past glories would be coming home to roost. Especially under the coaching or El 'dodgy' Tel, Ossie 'the original Argentinian' Ardiles and Gerry 'pigeon mullet Francis. It certainly wasn't happening then either.

I got a new club due to sky sports my weekends have been Expanded to include Monday

Monday night club

Missus loves it. Rolling of eyes confers permission to go to the pub? AmIrite

Some have been very harsh on this article. Yes we've made progress ever since Levy arrived (with the odd bump in the road) but it's always been a Spurs with a soft underbelly. Great football at times, especially under Redknapp, and amazing individual players like Gazza and Klinsmann, but lacking a winning mentality. This is the first time in my memory that we've genuinely been the best team in the league (probably since the Everton game) and its taking a little getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom