Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Talking about “winners” but bringing up Friedel and Parker... I give up.

Is called Team Spirit, but can't work out what two experienced professionals (and IMO winners in every sense of the word football-wise) brought to the team...

giphy.gif

Is called Team Spirit, but can't work out what two experienced professionals (and IMO winners in every sense of the word football-wise) brought to the team...

giphy.gif
Friedel and Parker were part of the 2012 collapse were they not? So why are you implying that they would have prevented what’s happened over the past few months? What’s their career honours outside of Spurs?

The logical reason is that the squad went from young and vibrant to ageing and stale, we need new faces in who fit into what was always the managers ethos - young and hungry. People need to accept that for all the enjoyment that we've had since 2015, this batch of players just wasn’t quite good enough to get over the hump. No 35 year old would have taken us further. We need extra quality and hopefully with a stronger financial platform, there’s more where N’Dombele and Lo Celso came from.

He came over to the south stand and rightly got a great ovation

I am a Poch fan but whoever signed off on this ridiculous ultra pass from back is crazy when:

1. We know our keeper has distribution issues
  2. We have seen other teams fuck up doing it recently
  3. I don’t understand why the CBs aren’t even wide they are alongside him inside the 6 yard box, giving them even less chance of getting ball away and will be be pressed even more than if wide
  4. I have never seen this work effectively in the premier league so who came up with it and put in place?
Finally second half goal kicks were old school, no pressure on Hugo, every one was cheered, common sense at last

So bad with his feet why do it?!
We focus so much on the negative that it becomes the norm. I posted some stats buried in this thread that showed that no other 'keeper in Europe plays the ball as much as Lloris!!! Yes, there are risks associated to it but you can associate him on the ball to us scoring and winning games, controlling games etc as a direct consequence, this is how we play and this reflects the same period of us being quite good.

There is a ton of room for improvement, namely, it's far easier if we bring back our high press, also it's helped when we have the likes of Frodo playing or Sissoko unable to take the ball back to goal etc. And yes, of all of his attributes it's his weakest area but the obsession with focussing on his errors is quite bizarre IMO, especially when the likes of Edderson and Alisson make huge errors too, the difference is they have gone unpunished, not because of the error because the attacker failed to capitalize on the error, so because of this they are hailed as the worlds best.

Then you have that stat. :levyeyes:

and how many of those games did we lose?

Also, as I posted earlier, I've seen Alisson make more mistakes than Lloris in a single game (against us I think) which all went unpunished, it wasn't because of Alisson error it was because of the attacker not taking advantage that means he's not got stat munchers & people basing their critique of a player based on how they do in fantasy football all in a tissy.

This is the problem with stats without any context whatsoever.

Then you have that stat. :levyeyes:

According to sky sports news on saturday, Allison made 9 last season, and Lloris has made 9(in the league) since he joined us. Context.
Plus, an ex keeper is going to class some goals as bad goalkeeping based on technical stuff that a non leeper wouldn't see

All about context...

And yes, of all of his attributes it's his weakest area but the obsession with focussing on his errors is quite bizarre IMO, especially when the likes of Edderson and Alisson make huge errors too, the difference is they have gone unpunished, not because of the error because the attacker failed to capitalize on the error, so because of this they are hailed as the worlds best.

Well that was the point of my original post, was nothing against Lloris but the coaching staff of not just our club but Arsenals too when they think Sokratis can carry out such a crazy new way of distributing. It was ok when CB's were wide but this new one is just suicidal

Good thing was they dumped it by second half, quite rightly so, it just gets unnecessary pressure on our players, let Hugo do what he does best I say! Coaching/Tactical mistake not his

As someone that has played as a keeper there is often absolutely nothing you can do in 1 on 1s, especially when you're a fair distance from the player when he's ready to shoot. If you start moving forward they just slot it past you, if you stay where you are they have a massive target to hit. I think expecting Hugo to have saved pretty much any of those tonight is being super critical.

Well that was the point of my original post, was nothing against Lloris but the coaching staff of not just our club but Arsenals too when they think Sokratis can carry out such a crazy new way of distributing. It was ok when CB's were wide but this new one is just suicidal

Good thing was they dumped it by second half, quite rightly so, it just gets unnecessary pressure on our players, let Hugo do what he does best I say! Coaching/Tactical mistake not his
But what I'm saying is lumping it long might relieve the stress you are under when we play out from the back but for some, and I can only refer to myself, it's equally stressful to see us do this and concede possession and watch the oppo build an attack straight off the back of it But people, you? seem OK with this because you think we've cleared our lines, when all we've done is give it straight back to the oppo.

In the cold light of day, (statistically) it is rare the oppo score direct from pressing our defence and 'keeper and statistically we build more attacks and/or control the game off the back of playing out from the back, THIS IS WHY WE DO IT.

(A game that I will reference as an example of this perception is Inter Milan away last year, everyone (fans and media alike) was shitting themselves as Inter aggressively pressed us, especially in the first half. I said it at the time and I will say it again now, Inter created absolutely fuck all in that game until the Iccadi hit and hope wonder goal on the 83rd min. All their pressing us whilst we played out from the back created NOTHING, not even a shot! We drew them onto us but we were fairly shit that night once it got to our midfield transitioning, although we created some chances (more than the oppo). But because people get stressed out by it they think we shouldn't do it, they think we are being outplayed. The only time you can say it's "not working" or to drop it, is if the oppo is creating something from it.

I couldn't give a fuck about Woolich being shit at it or not, only talking about us and what we do and whether we do it well or not or if it costs us or not.

Back
Top Bottom