Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah lets punish the club and the fans because of this, what is putting him in the stands going to achieve? He will be rightly punished by the law and I assume a fine from the club, that's enough, he didn't kill or rape anyone and we have no idea how over the limit he actually was (yes that's important).
It's not very important though.The word "limit" tells its own story. After that you are not in a fit state to drive without potentially causing an accident. Sure, a lot over and the chance is even greater but the limit is where it is for a reason.

Personally, I think there is a significant difference in those who misjudge how much they've had when the law allows you to drive with X amount of alcohol in your system, and those who know they're over but are wilfully endangering life.I hope Hugo is in the former and not the later.

Read between the lines.

The low limit (rather than zero tolerance) is only there for the very purpose you describe... A little grace.

The message isn't 'Have a pint, but be wary of your a ability to process the alcohol if you choose to drink more'.

Gutted, drags our club name through the gutter at an unfortunate time.

Should not be dropped, but i think one other person mentioned.... Maybe he will resign his captaincy ? As a captain and an example to the squad he has obviously fallen short of the standards that should be in place.

Handing in his armband, not as some grand gesture, but as a genuine show of regret in what he has done would be admirable in my opinion.

Hard to judge it all without the facts, but hopefully he was just a smidgen over the limit. In which case I agree with this...

Giving up the captaincy would be the most proportionate thing to do. Take responsibility and set an example. Whether he plays on Monday should be purely down to his state of mind, not as some perceived punishment.

I don't think other club's fans etc will care about it that much. As much as we all like to think Spurs are the centre of the universe, we're not. I barely gave it a thought when Firmino got done and had forgotten about it until today reminded me.

It's not very important though.The word "limit" tells its own story. After that you are not in a fit state to drive without potentially causing an accident. Sure, a lot over and the chance is even greater but the limit is where it is for a reason.
What I'm saying is dropping him for a month and stripping him of captaincy, like some were suggesting for him having, lets say 2 glasses of wine and driving seems overly excessive. There's no excusing drink driving, but a fine from the club and whatever punishment he gets from the law seem reasonable for me. However if he was sloshed out of his head and got behind the wheel, then yeah he should get a harsher punishment.

What I'm saying is dropping him for a month and stripping him of captaincy, like some were suggesting for him having, lets say 2 glasses of wine and driving seems overly excessive. There's no excusing drink driving, but a fine from the club and whatever punishment he gets from the law seem reasonable for me. However if he was sloshed out of his head and got behind the wheel, then yeah he should get a harsher punishment.

If you have two glasses of wine you are over the limit. Same as if you have twenty. In both cases you are not safe to drive. Two glasses of wine, get behind the wheel and there is a good chance you will hurt someone innocent. Honestly, I think it's a big mistake to think like this and it's part of the problem that some in society think being only a bit over the limit is not such a big deal, when it really is.

I agree with the law dealing with it largely, though I also see why some are calling for him to lose the captaincy because it is a privilege and makes you even more of a role model, a spokesman for the club. Someone suggested he should give up the captaincy. I agree with that. It's good that he's apologized and will take whatever the punishment is.

Getting in a fight and killing someone both bring the club into disrepute, I can differentiate between them and judge one worse than the other.

As per your analogy...

The base charge is being over the limit.

If i kill 1 or 100 people ive stilled killed.

You dont let someone off cos they didnt break the law 'badly'(*), you just punish them worse the more extreme the breach is.

(*Genuinely extenuating circumstances aside.)

i.e. One life sentence or multiple.

IMO the club should merely deal with it on the base level as a PR fuck up and let the law worry about punishing the extremety of things.

If you have two glasses of wine you are over the limit. Same as if you have twenty. In both cases you are not safe to drive. Two glasses of wine, get behind the wheel and there is a good chance you will hurt someone innocent. Honestly, I think it's a big mistake to think like this and it's part of the problem that some in society think being only a bit over the limit is not such a big deal, when it really is.

I agree with the law dealing with it largely, though I also see why some are calling for him to lose the captaincy because it is a privilege and makes you even more of a role model, a spokesman for the club. Someone suggested he should give up the captaincy. I agree with that. It's good that he's apologized and will take whatever the punishment is.

Trouble is mate that the law encourages this thinking by having levels of punishment...different fines and sentences depending on how drunk you are or how fast you're speeding etc. One flat 5 yr ban for being over the limit by any amount is a solution maybe? Certainly a better deterrent than a few hours community service and a fine...

You dont let someone off cos they didnt break the law 'badly'(*), you just punish them worse the more extreme the breach is.

(*Genuinely extenuating circumstances aside.)

i.e. One life sentence or multiple.

IMO the club should merely deal with it on the base level as a PR fuck up and let the law worry about punishing the extremety of things.
That's exactly what happens you get punished less because you broke the law less badly

Disagree with the second part but agree (to an extent) with the first. I do worry that being pulled over at 2 am is a bad sign regarding how far over the limit he was.

Or it could mean he was drinking and waiting for his level to go down, as stated in my previous post. It's a pretty common thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom