How'd you start supporting Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VirginiaSpur

"Well done boys, good process." - Ref. Hooper
Speaks for itself. Just wondering, for those of you who weren't born into supporting Spurs, how'd you start supporting them?

Personally, I think I can trace my passion back to a single moment. Can't say that I'm a huge footballer, haven't played football (**US** cough **soccer** cough**) since peewee league. Side stitches are a bitch, yo. Anyways, slowly started to realize at some point during college that I despised the makeup of most American sports. You know, 100% set pieces, all the time. (Shocked one of my best friends last weekend, former D1 college tight end, with the realization that the average american football game just lasts 6.5 minutes in play). Really started to get into football through, what else, FIFA. Flirted with a Liverpool interest for a year or two before I got completely bored with that. Hated myself for being another bandwagon supporter of a "top four" team. More than that, really didn't feel anything click after a short while. Regardless, became very interested in Tottenham. Bring on "the moment." Was at a party at a friend's apartment. One of their roommates was British (this guy pulled a ridiculous amount of ass, for no other reason than his british accent. Curiously, sounds remarkably like Flav), and a huge Man U. fan. Whole damn room was plastered in Man U. shit. Anyways, somehow the league came up and I mentioned I was becoming strongly interested in Tottenham. Cue his response: "... You can't root for them, they're a bunch of jews!" Dead silence... Didn't exactly know how to respond to that. Thought about it for a few days, decided I didn't like that one bit, and set about learning as much about the team as possible, and fell in love with them.

Note: this event is about simultaneous with Redknapp's takeover and the emergence of the team as a "top six team." Call me a glory hunter if you like. I don't particularly think it's relevant as my interest was stoked around the time of J. Ramos, and I'm increasingly negative on Redknapp.

How about you? Have to say that my knowledge of the team and football in general is growing by leaps and bounds, recently. Maybe not due to the Fighting Cock, as I'm probably learning more about Brit sex slang and obscene moves like the Monkey Face, but whatever.

Nice one there VirginiaSpur :beer:

Like you I havent been a Spurs fan for long...I only started following football extensively this world cup...I mean that set me glued to football like anything(btw my flirtation with football might have started before if we had cable).
So I started watching EPL last year and I immediately fell in love with Spurs...Before this I had no idea what Spurs were..thats because I live in India...And everybody knows cricket's a religion here.But that doesnt mean there arent any football fans..there are truckload of them...But you'll only find a Man U,Liverpool,Woolwich,Chelsea supporter..

I dont how to put it...ummm...the day I started watching spurs play there was an instant connection..a predilection if you may.

And I knew this was something different.I knew I'd be a lifelong Spurs fan. :wub:

I'm not a "born" Spurs fan either. I grew up with football being a part of my normal day. Playing everyday with my mates, going to practice and games during the week and weekends. I played from I was 5 to I was around 20 - greatest moment was when I was captain one season (however we lost the final in the cup 14-1. You guys will be the judge if I did good)

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, in Denmark my team is Brøndby IF. My father starting to bring me and my younger brother to matches from we were just little kids. We wen't to away and home games quite often, compared to us living far from Brøndby. I followed Brøndby a lot and still does, and when time allows me, I will try going to the games.

However during the last 10-15 years the EPL became really popular in Denmark. One of the things that made it popular amazingly quick was particularly Peter Schmeichels spell at Man U. But when many started to like Man U because of that I wen't in another direction. You guys might remember Allan Nielsen, right? If not, he's the lad who scored the flying header in the last minute of the 1999 Carling Cup final against Leicester City. Tottenham quickly begin to build on me after this.

A couple of years passed by, still not following the EPL 100%, but I tried (this was the time when every match was not on television). During the 03/04 season they were still growing on me and as I started on a new study in the 04/05 season, I got a really good mate in the class who was a die hard Spurs fan (also 10 years older) - so he basically turned me yid.

Since then they have been my favorite club in the EPL, although I have only been to 2 live matches so far (last season when my studies ended). And look at me now. Discussing Spurs on an Internet forum, twitter, Facebook, you name it. Every EPL round in on television in Denmark, but if there's a clash in times with Man U/Liverpool/Woolwich/Chelsea and Tottenham, the TV will show Man U/Liverpool/Woolwich/Chelsea. I feel blessed that we have the Internet today, so I can see every match if it's not in the television.

And here is my greatest moment as a Spurs fan. AC Milan away:

183655_500784123058_746193058_6332224_2737025_n.jpg

(After match celebration - Spurs section in opposite end in the top)

3 points today lads! COYS!

Case said:
Great thread. :thumbup: I love reading about how you guys in other countries have come to support Spurs.

My story is nothing special, I'm not from London but my family are all from in & around that part of the UK. My Uncle is very proud of the fact I'm a northern Spurs fan.

How do you guys in other countries follow Spurs? Are the games on TV a lot?

Yes.Most of the Epl matches are telecasted live.... :biggrin:

Though I will have to watch the Wigan match on a stream because of a stupid cricket match :fu:
But they are showing both MAN U and MAN C matches.

When I was born, we lived in Ponders End, just down the road from the Lane. But unfortunately for me the family moved out to Essex when I was just four, although Essex is a big Tottenham supporting area anyway (among WHam, scum, and the ubiquitous manure/bindippers).

My family isn't a football one though and it was only in the 90s my interest grew. I guess I made the link between being in Ponders End even though I was so young when we left, and Spurs. Perhaps I should have really chosen Southend United, but as soon as you start to find out more about Tottenham it's an inevitable path to infatuation.

A combination of Escape to Victory, my Uncle and Vinny Samways.

My Dad or older brothers never had any interest in football and never played so I had no immediate affiliation with any team but always loved the game and started playing with the local team from the age of 5. I remember most of the lads I played with were all either Liverpool or Celtic fans (I'm from Dublin) but being 5/6 and never talking football when at home, didn't pledge allegiance.

Until Christmas 1986 when I watched Escape to Victory and saw Ossie Ardiles. I practised that flick for months (never truly pulled it of in a game). My Uncle who was a big Tottenham fan was with me that Christmas and he took me to WHL in 1987 (aged 6) to see Tottenham play Liverpool where we won 1-0. Loved them unequivocally ever since.

As a player, I always wanted to be Vinny Samways. Not Hoddle, not Greaves. Vinny 'The Crab' Samways. He'll always be a hero of mine and one of the most underrated Yids ever in my eyes.

Still live in Dublin so don't get over as much as I'd like, generally two or three games a year. Going to the Shamrock Rovers game in Dublin where there is some what of a conflict of interest but I don't remember any Shamrock Rovers player being in a movie that's on every Christmas.

Dad was brought up in Enfield. He used to go to the training ground most weeks and meet players and stuff who had a lot of time for fans. My dad even managed to get my sisters first word to be 'Oddle' after the mighty Glenn Hoddle.

Being brought up myself as a Spurs fan wasn't a question, proud to be a yid and wouldn't have it any other way.

I wasn't interested in football at all. No-one in my family was. My friends were all West Ham or Liverpool fans. Then in the 80/81 season my uncle took me to my first game. Some weird team with a funny name..

I saw Perryman, Hoddle, Ardiles, Villa, Archibald & crooks et al. I instantly fell in love.

Now I'm a Spur and so is my wife, my daughter (12) and my son (5)

Grew up on an Airforce base in the middle of north dakota. I had a really good friend, who was english, and was a giant Spurs fan, and a giant Gazza fan. Since he more or less introduced me to the EPL and spurs, Spurs were the obvious choice... plus those were the only matches (taped matches) that I ever saw, up until the internet allowed me to watch as many games as I could and introduce me to places like here and /r/coys.

I saw the great Spurs side of 86/87 on TV and that was it, first game I remember was when Hoddle dribbled it from the halfway line and dummied the keeper before rolling it in. I wasn't a regular at the Lane until 20 years later, I really regret not getting my membership sooner.

Where I grew up (Wembley) there weren't many Spurs fans, most of the people I go to games with these days are people I've met since I started going to games.

My older brother supports Spurs, so I just followed him. My earliest memory is the 1982 League cup final, and we were winning from early on in the game. We went on to concede a goal late in the second half, and then lose in extra time. I was quite distraught, but we went on to win the FA Cup a few months later. I experienced glory and despair within a few months of each other. That is what Tottenham Hotspur is about.

I started going the following season with my dad and brother regularly, and my mates since I was about 15. The mates have changes, as some lost interest or moved away, but I still go, can't imagine stopping now.

I grew up in Salford, just a stone's throw from Old Trafford, Manchester. At age 8, I started to take an interest in football and quite naturally Man Utd was the local team to support. I distinctly remember listening to the FA Cup 3rd Round results read out on the radio one damp Saturday afternoon in Jnauary 1967. The radio announcer read out the scores and to me it was just a case of :
blah blah 2 blah blah1
blah 4 blah blah 0
blah blah 2 blah blah 2
blah blah 3 blah 1
blah blah 1 blah blah 1
Manchester Utd 1 Norwich City 2
blah.........

Well, that was my team out of the cup at the first hurdle. At times of crisis, you tend to turn to your dad for help, so I asked him, "Who should I support for the cup this year, dad?" His answer: "Tottenham". I'd never heard the name before, but I thought I'd give it a go.

For those with a knowledge of Spurs' achievements, we went on to beat Chelsea 2-1 to win the trophy that year and I was well and truly smitten. The lack of easily available football-related media in the 60's and 70's meant I had to scratch around for scraps of tottenham-related information, but this only served to cement my love for the boys from White Hart Lane.

In recent years, I have successfully introduced two of my nephews to the Spurs cause, and while they tend to tell people I brainwashed them into supporting the team, deep down I know that they are proud northern yids from the heartland of manuria. COYS !!!

Always liked football, but never played it growing up. Right before the 05/06 season a good friend of mine and I were talking about footy and he said "you should support spurs if you start to follow the epl". I checked out their history and saw how great it was and how mediocre Spurs had been up until around then. Being from Cleveland (read: most tortured sports city in the US), I saw a comparison and choose Spurs. I did joke that since my buddy was from Pittsburgh and I'm from Cleveland I should support Arse (based on our cities rivalry in American Football), but I couldn't do it.

the lasagne game really hit home and I thought to myself how I couldn't support another cursed club, which endeared me to Spurs even more. Ever since then, it's been one amazing ride.

Also, getting nearly half of the Cro National team helps the cause too, ancestry and all.

I was a big fan of Gazza due to Italia 90, but I was only 5 and don't remember much about it. I followed Spurs because of Gazza and when I was 6 my uncle took me to my first game, we beat QPR 2-0 and Lineker got both

I don't know what got me into Spurs, I know I was around the 7/8 mark (late I know but my Dad supported Man Utd and we didn't get to play football at school until we were 7 - and even then it wss with a tennis ball in the playgrounds lol. (at break/lunch) - obviously in the summer it was a football on the field....)

Anyway - everyone was supporting Liverpool as they were predominately the *best side* at the time (1985/86). For some reason I started supporting Tottenham. I would say it was Waddle, Hoddle, Lineker, gascoigne, but actually most of those came a few years later and perhaps they are what kept me with Tottenham, only Hoddle and Waddle were already with us. I must of seen them play - I can't remember though. I remember the 87 final, and of course very versed with 1991, I don't remember 84 vs Anderlecht though.

2004/05. First Premiership game I watched on TV was Spurs smash Villa 5-1 at the Lane. Kanoute, King, Kanoute, Big Fat Andy Reid, Kelly. Already a Never Red from other teams I support.

Signed on.

COYS

Seems like a good place to break the cherry...

I owe my 20 yrs of pleasure and (mostly) pain to world cup italia '90.

My first memory of wathcing football, remember it vividly, and of course the main men were Gascoigne and Lineker. So thats why...

Nice site and Podcast by the way fellas.....

May 28, 2005. I am bored as fuck at 230 in the afternoon and see something called the UEFA Champions League Final on ESPN and having never watched a full SOCCER match in all my life, I gave it a go. It changed me forever. I felt compelled to really learn about it. I didn't know the Premier League from the Champions League to the FA Cup. Complete n00b. So I did what any American does. Buy a fucking video game to play it and learn it. I bought Winning Eleven 8 (pro evo series but massively americanized title) and after going on a few message boards, learned that "North London White" were a fun team to play as because it wasn't easy as piss to win all the games and you weren't a bandwagon jumper. So, I played as North London White and with me being Irish, Robbie Keane was my favorite. Scored tons of goals with him and his silly cartwheel/sommersault combo celebration. So I did some more digging and learned a bit about Tottenham, watched a few repeats from the prior season on Fox Soccer, and decided to throw my support behind them for the season.

Oddly enough, I had briefly considered Woolwich, but I was very put off by a match I saw at Highbury that was at night in the dead of winter and I fucking swear every single fan on camera on the far side looked like a fucking statue sitting down. It was eerie. Not for me. So after following them for the first few games and getting incredibly pissed off that Mido got sent off v Chelsea (unfairly) for an elbow, I thought, ok.. not bad. They were doing well early on and were fun to watch on the review show. Couldn't get a live match for love nor money. The moment I realized I was all-in was Manchester United v Spurs at Old Trafford in October. United up 1-0. Step up......................................................Jermaine Jenas. Yep, free kick curled into the top corner, 1-1! We drew level with mighty Manchester United! I went apeshit. apartment dwellers surrounding me were most likely not pleased since it was about 1130am. Still, to this day, I remember how I felt. A raw emotion unlike any other. Spurs took #1 priority in any sporting matter as far as I was concerned. And it always will.

The end.

Back
Top Bottom