How to achieve 68 points?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Right now, we are on course to finish on 68 points...

Game to game monitor: 68 points are 1 point behind last year's finish.
Game to game monitor: 68 points are 0 points ahead of 68 points, which has been enough to end up in the top 4 for all of the last 17 seasons (20 team league).
Current points per game over a season: 68.4 points
Points per game 0.6 points behind of last season's finish (69)
Points per game 1.05 points ahead of average 4th position (67.35)
Points per game 5.93 points ahead of average 5th position (62.47)
Points per game 0.4 points ahead historical top 4 guaranteed points total (68)

Points total
Points 68
Points per game 68.4

Historic top 4 points 68
Last season points 69
Average 4th position 67.35
Average 5th position 62.47

How is this season compared with the rest of the PL-seasons?1st 55 points (69p) 2011-12
1st 55 points (70p) 2009-10
3rd 54 points (?p) 2012-13
4th 52 points (65p) 2005-06
5th 51 points (61p) 1995-96

And finally, how many points do the teams need to achieve 68 points this season?
3. Chavs G29 P55
Chavs need another 13 points from 9 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,90
P.p.g. needed remaining 9 games to get 68 points: 1,44
Home games remaining: 4: Sunderland, Spurs, Swansea, Everton
Away games remaining: 5: Fulham, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa

4. Spurs G30 P54
Spurs need another 14 points from 8 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,80
P.p.g. needed remaining 8 games to get 68 points: 1,75
Home games remaining: 4: Everton, Man City, Southampton, Sunderland
Away games remaining: 4: Swansea, Chelsea, Wigan, Stoke

5. Scum G29 P50
Scum need another 18 points from 9 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,72
P.p.g. needed remaining 9 games to get 68 points: 2,00
Home games remaining: 5: Everton, Reading, Norwich, Man United, Wigan
Away games remaining: 4: WBA, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle
6. Everton G29 P48
Everton need another 20 points from 9 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,66
P.p.g. needed remaining 9 games to get 68 points: 2,22
Home games remaining: 4: Stoke, QPR, Fulham, West Ham
Away games remaining: 5: Woolwich, Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool. Chelsea

7. Liverpool G30 P45
Liverpool need another 23 points from 8 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,50
P.p.g. needed remaining 8 games to get 68 points: 2,88
Home games remaining: 4: West Ham, Chelsea, Everton, QPR
Away games remaining: 4: Aston Villa, Reading, Newcastle, Fulham

You should see the thread from last season called Don't Panic then. Not a fan of hypothesising over these things but each to their own

Quite new to the board mate, so I missed that. However, it was the same everywhere. Whatever we write here won't change anything on the pitch. The post above is just about the cold facts without the emotions. There will be better weekends to look at the stats than this one though. Not saying "don't panic, it will be alright", but it's too early to write us off! :freundgoal:

FUCK THIS!
ibsDWZUILNhZHT.gif

I've to admire the calm and methodical way you've gone about analysing the situation. For me, the only thing that's running through my head now is FUCKINGHELLSPURSNOTTHISBULLSHITAGAINWTFHAVETYOUTWATSLEARNEDANYTHINGFROMAYEARAGOFUCKFUCKFUCK.

68 points? I'm calling Bullshit on this one. I haven't done any research, and you've obviously done a lot. But just from experience i can say with 100% ascertainment (assuming Fifa is identical to real life) that I am right. In my 2nd season with Spurs, (won the EPL and Champions league and capital won cup, bad loss to city in the FA cup) Spurs finished with 85 points, followed by: City (80), Chelsea (78), Everton (75), United (69). United finished 5th with 69 points.

Fifa has never been wrong, like ever. So... it's either Fifa or your statistics... That's all i'm saying, you guys can decide which is more true...
FOTCF3E.JPG

You know that the table won't change just because you don't talk about it? :avbcringe:
You know that talking about it wont make the table change?

or make predictions come true?

or in fact have any conceivable or possible effect on how the chips fall?

Breathe, relax, take each game as it comes and remember 'what would BAE do?' :bae:

The way I see it going now after the last week's disappointments:

Swansea, away - L
Everton, home - D
Chelski, away - L
City, home - L
Wigan, away - W
Soton, home - W
Stoke, away - W
Sunderland, home - W

That would give 67 points. I think Lennon is the key to getting a better return than that. Wft happened there? Came on against Inter. Did he pull his hamstring again? Any return date?

You know that talking about it wont make the table change?

or make predictions come true?

or in fact have any conceivable or possible effect on how the chips fall?

Breathe, relax, take each game as it comes and remember 'what would BAE do?' :bae:

No, the table won't change while talking about and we're...4th. The updates are just facts based on previous seasons, but never has a team had needed more than 68 points in the PL-era, so it's a fair target! The 5th team is at the moment averaging a ppg that will give them 65,5 points so still below 68p. That's all that this thread is, nothing more..

It's squeaky bum time innit!

No, the table won't change while talking about and we're...4th. The updates are just facts based on previous seasons, but never has a team had needed more than 68 points in the PL-era, so it's a fair target! The 5th team is at the moment averaging a ppg that will give them 65,5 points so still below 68p. That's all that this thread is, nothing more..

It's squeaky bum time innit!
ppg? this isn't analysing fuel consumption on a car.

Due to the nature of when we play specific teams (even before considering their own state or probability of a win) the only time that stat will ever become valid is at the end of each season.

Until then it is a redundant and utterly meaningless figure and should be removed from common parlance until the end of the season frankly.

A 'fair target' is also disingenuous, it suggests that it would impossible to finish on 68 points and 5th, and yet mathematically that is fundamentally not the case.

These thread never start or end well, and pander to the notion of the sky sports indoctrinated 'one game' 'sky top 4' ethos. They also perpetuate the ideology that the champions league it is the only thing which fans care about, which is both disingenuous and morally vacuous.

I am sure you mean well, but time renders this academic.

ppg? this isn't analysing fuel consumption on a car.

Due to the nature of when we play specific teams (even before considering their own state or probability of a win) the only time that stat will ever become valid is at the end of each season.

Until then it is a redundant and utterly meaningless figure and should be removed from common parlance until the end of the season frankly.

A 'fair target' is also disingenuous, it suggests that it would impossible to finish on 68 points and 5th, and yet mathematically that is fundamentally not the case.

These thread never start or end well, and pander to the notion of the sky sports indoctrinated 'one game' 'sky top 4' ethos. They also perpetuate the ideology that the champions league it is the only thing which fans care about, which is both disingenuous and morally vacuous.

I am sure you mean well, but time renders this academic.

Well, mate, let me just say that it's my way of looking at it and you have yours and you're entitled to it.

The 68 points target I have explained above and the reasons behind it are not taken out of thin air, but also aware of the possibility that it may change. I would feel safer if we end up at 70 points for instance as it would take a major leap of form from the Woolwich to get there, 20 points in 9 games. Not impossible, but more difficult. However, whether we or anyone else end up 5th history tend to suggest that the 5th team will get less points than 68.

I agree though, that the only true answer to what is needed we get at the end of the season. There are many other ways of looking at how many points the different teams could get but I won't bore the forum with it. In the mean time, it's just a harmless way of having an eye on our form and what is needed from the remaining games for us and the rest. As we reach the end of the season twists and turns always happen.

If you don't want to read it mate, I'd say the thread is easy to avoid. I'm updating a thread on Spurs Odyssey that is similar without having too much fuss on there about it, but understand if people feel different on here. If people loath the thread I can let it drop, but in most cases members are often split in half.

Back
Top Bottom