How far would you go for success

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is you limit for success such as winning the quadruple?

• I am pure, even Joe Lewis and his greed is to much, I don’t really follow Spurs much because of it

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Joe Lewis is about as much as I can go

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I can live with the Glazers despite them taking £1bn of Uniteds clubs money via what was legal means

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Abramovich is my limit. He is a gangster but not a murdering dictator

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I would take the Abu Dhabi even though I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • I have no limits. If a gay man needed to be thrown off the stadium roof it would be worth it

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
Why can't we just get your run-of-the-mill evil billionaire like Bezos to buy Spurs? No one else can afford to buy the club AND pump money into it.

The bar for me is literally "just don't be a a nation-state using Spurs for sportswashing." That shouldn't be too hard to clear.

Why? Winning the lottery of ownership is by far the most reliable way to challenge the established elite clubs.

Those established elite clubs want no other clubs to rise up with the potential to challenge that.

You could be pro Saudi ownership and anti the super league without being a hypocrite.
Oh please, crying about the “death of football” and it’s “our club not yours” and how it’s a “closed circle” of those who can win something etc etc

There is zero difference

That’s why Newcastle will win things now, when they were shit before.

They’ve just joined a super league anyway.
One of 5 PL clubs who can win something.

Voted Glazers, but only because in the poll they represent a middle ground between Lewis and Abramovich.

Newcashle have been bought by an abhorrent regime that epitomises much of the worst traits of people in positions of power. I'd walk away if they had bought us. There would be no joy or sense of achievement in any trophy purchased.

As for the poll, I'd probably be fine up to the Abramovich level.

I don't blame Newcastle fans for being excited. What bothers me are the fans waving KSA flags and dressing up like MBS. You can still support your club and not actively support a murderous regime.

Levy tried to make us elite, earn us 300M a year and rub shoulders with City and Juve.

Our fanbase demanded he retract the plans and quit.
Suddenly we wanted morals.

Now we wish our owners had so much money that 15 PL teams will be stuck in a purgatory of playing for “security” and the odd EL conference run while we mix it with the others who can stockpile the players who should be playing every week somewhere else in a genuinely competitive league.

We’ve lost touch. We want a prime Kane on the pitch and one on the bench.

Honestly, under Jol, the excitement about going somewhere was massive, and we’re talk European Tours to Zagreb etc in the UEFA.
The Lane had THE best atmosphere in the PL.
Redknapp had us mixing it, but we still felt like outsiders, a bit of shock, Hutton and Crouch in the CL, and Arry destroying Woolwich, Chelsea, City, Liverpool at Anfield, Inter and Milan.

But alas…..how dare we get humped by Real away with ten men.
Crouch out, Arry Out, OUT OUT OUT!!!!

We’re elite now. Massive club, next level, and hope and fun had turned to entitlement and anger over night.

Apart from Pochs first few seasons and the knock out stages of the CL final year, 6 of the last 9 years have been absolutely fucking shit.

I’d rather go back to 2006 than continue on this path.

Last edited:
Not giving any opinion on the ESL or Saudis here, But would the Saudis have bought Newcastle if the Super League went ahead? Doubtful imo.
It was right, I think, that the ESL didn't go ahead. But where has the outrage been for this takeover? I'm a bit gutted as a Spurs fan, because we're being knocked down the league another slot... But the indignation that there was for the ESL has been completely non-existent for this takeover... well, not quite, but nearly....

I feel the Leicester ownership/model would be best
I feel like that is what we are trying to do but Leicester went and hired a bunch of competent people to run their football operations (as did Liverpool) and only this past summer did Levy sort of, kind of step back from the day-to-day football stuff.

Drives me crazy - just look at what Leicester and Liverpool are doing and copy it. Stop trying to act like a "big club" and start making smart decisions that will make sure that you are one. Spurs have financial resources that are matched by maybe 15 other clubs in the world, just needs smart people actually running it from a footballing standpoint.

The stadium deal is hugely favorable to them in a sense, but does limit the upside to owning the club.

Real estate is the world these guys who run sovereign wealth funds know and understand. West Ham is “just” a football club.

Tottenham Hotspur Plc is a jewel of a real estate portfolio, only trouble is the price reflects that. Newcastle went for what, 1/6 of what ENIC would want for Spurs, maybe less?

See the “is the football bubble bursting?” thread, there’s a lot of risk in that kind of valuation.
London + Stadium + Club brand, Spurs would sell for north of £2B.

Newcastle makes sense for a foreign "investor" that has no real interest in the local community outside of the club.

But there are billionaires that would much prefer the established, turn-key club in London. Guys are dropping $2.3B to buy the Carolina Panthers, there are people out there that would be willing to buy Spurs.

By the way, who says the fans of these clubs have to be the simplistic rubes they are counted upon being?

Newcastle fans should rejoice in the well-deserved, long overdue investment in their club’s on-field product and unfurl a “Justice For Jamal Khashoggi” banner at games anyway. I don’t think there’s any hypocrisy in that at all.

As a matter of fact the message would probably mean more coming from them than anybody else.

Oh please, crying about the “death of football” and it’s “our club not yours” and how it’s a “closed circle” of those who can win something etc etc

There is zero difference

That’s why Newcastle will win things now, when they were shot before.

They’ve just joined a super league anyway.

Have they? City or PSG are still yet to even win a Champions League. PSG didn't even win the league title last season, in France of all places. Is that a closed shop? Or is it just that they've been able to artificially join the top clubs who were dominating anyway? Before City or Chelsea existed it was United crushing the league for decades, before that Liverpool.

And regardless, there were a lot of different reasons to oppose a Super League. The main one for me was that it all sounded incredibly dull, and I had zero interest in watching the same 5-6 teams play each other weekly.

But yes, Newcastle will (probably) win things now. But in a super league situation no new club would ever have had the chance to do that, money or not. Because it would've been a permanently closed league. I'm not saying it's any better, but it's a very different kind of situation.

Why? Winning the lottery of ownership is by far the most reliable way to challenge the established elite clubs.

Those established elite clubs came up with the super league in part to stop that and create a closed club for good.

You could be pro Saudi ownership and anti the super league without being a hypocrite.
If you’re pro Saudi ownership you’re a human rights hating git. End of

I make that 4 clubs..... Liverpool will once again join the also-rans once the Klopp-juice dries up.
In 3 years it will be:

Newcastle, City, Chelsea and United.
Then Liverpool, Spurs and Woolwich.
Then Leicester and Everton.
Then the rest.

The bottom 3 rungs can move about, but no one can compete financially with that top 4. Honestly, United may even be on it's own tier between the oligarchy clubs and Liverpool/Spurs/Woolwich.

Those established elite clubs came up with the super league in part to stop that and create a closed club for good.

TBF, a closed Super League was pretty much the only reliable way to go about legally and effectively creating a framework which would allow for cost-control measures (i.e. spending caps, even revenue split) which can create a meritocracy with parity. Its why practically every other sport around the operates a closed model.

Was that in the initial proposal? Absolutely not. But the initial proposal created a model in which those measures could be introduced - and the initial proposal was cooked up by people like ENIC, FSG, and the Glazers who absolutely had that model in mind.

In a closed system and even revenue split you can institute spending limits without anyone crying foul and claiming your rules endanger their investment - even with a bad season, the worst club will still be roughly as profitable as the best club. Clubs no longer have an incentive to focus on finances over sport, they're protected from endangering themselves. The "business" becomes a totally adjacent matter to the sport,, and the owners generally keep their noses out of the on-field stuff. This is what so many here constantly whinge about, caring about the results on the field not the balance sheets.

Likewise, in such a system, it doesn't matter who sells the most tyre sponsorships - everyone shares in the money, and everyone's finances are regulated the same. It comes down to who can scout, develop, and acquire talent within that system the best.

It just works. It comes at the cost of being able to fall asleep dreaming as a 10 year old about winning the lotto, buying Derby, and making them champions of europe. But financial doping plus the invasion of investment tycoons and explosion of costs means thats really all just a fantasy anyway. As incredible as Leicester was (cunts) does anyone think it'll even remotely happen again - especially since the number of doped clubs only seems to grow?

Whats the alternative? Even FFP actually damages the chances of lower clubs more than higher clubs - it locks in their proportional spending advantage, and its why FFP was concocted not by the poor clubs but by the rich clubs.

Just like with the minimum wage for regular folks, trying to address wealth inequality by leaving the system open and not forcibly extracting wealth from the top and redistributing it downwards will only fail. There's no way to make that equation balance. The open system is built for inherent wealth aggregation.

So yeah, the ESL was shitty and was going to kill football. But 21st century football is really already shitty and dead, we just like to con ourselves into thinking the opposite. Football was sold the day they put a sponsor on a shirt, in all truth.

Tomo

Supporter
We all know the issues with our current ownership. For me the lack of a coherent football vision for other the lack of spending and of course it’s hard not to be jealous of Liverpool’s well run team thinking we would love that, I know I would take their owners and how they are run.

However all the debate with the House of Saud one the worlds worst human right governments plus a funder of extreamist organisations including at times ISIS. What would be your limit?

I hope no one hits the last one which is deliberately nasty but that is what unlimited would mean so we need to be honest about what unlimited would be morally speaking.

I don't use Starbucks or Amazon because they are tax dodgers. However I signed up for Amazon Prime on a free trial to watch the Spurs documentary.
By that measure, I should think the same about Joe Lewis, but if I had his money, I might find myself living in tax exile too.

Back
Top Bottom