How do you hire a manger?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

@ Eskimo Eskimo inspired me to set up this thread, what skills, qualifications, achievements are we looking for in a new spurs manager?
  • Experience?
  • Tactical Knowledge?
  • Man management skills?
  • League wins?
  • Cup wins?
  • European competition wins?
  • Transfer market successes?
  • Win ratio?
  • Special powers - (like relegation messiah, mind games or cup manager).
Obviously all of the above would be great but when you hire someone like Juande Ramos (for example) you get a pretty pleasing CV but miss vital aspects like;
  • cant speak English
  • players can't understand wtf he is on about.
Is it time to forget about cup wins, competition wins and look at the more fundamental aspects of man management and experience?

OK let's think about this based on previous managers.
Redknapp:
Strengths - man management, experience, adept at keeping the media on his side.
Weaknesses - tactical knowledge, short-termism, only one major trophy in 30 years of management

AVB:
Strengths - tactical knowledge, long-term planning, 2 major trophies in 4 years of management (3 if you count the Portuguese Cup, which is borderline)
Weaknesses - man management, lack of experience, adept at keeping the media on his back.

So basically if there's someone out there who combines the strengths of both and doesn't have the weaknesses... we'll be onto a winner, and we'll all have nothing to argue about on this forum!

And of course a bit of Spurs pedigree in a manager would be nice too

OK let's think about this based on previous managers.

So basically if there's someone out there who combines the strengths of both and doesn't have the weaknesses... we'll be onto a winner, and we'll all have nothing to argue about on this forum!

Capello - Great League record and I know he looks like a sour puss but I've heard good things about his man management.
Disadvantages - Looks bad in a bikini

Follow the bright star when it stops ,look down,if there is glowing, and people singing,make an offer,and dont worry i know a :windy:man in bethnal green, who will take the donkey of your hands.

Its Alchemy really, isnt it?

There is certainly an element of chemistry to it. Does the manager "get" the club, does he "fit"? Does he understand what it is to manage the club and what the expectations are?

Redknapp was excellent at getting us riding the wave, at getting players to perform and have fun. I felt tactically he was lacking, we needed an underlying system from which to build.

AVB had that, without the man management understanding, it seems.

What I really want now is Harry Boas. Someone well prepared, with a "plan" which the team can follow, who knows how to motivate and fire up the troops and allows enough flexibility to get the best from the players.

I think we should look to personality traits as much as on field success, if not more so.

I think you go off of tactical knowledge and motivational speaking as two of the most important aspects

A manager needs to develop a plan and motivate in the dressing room...Copella does it with his bikini. At this high a level, alot of the nitty gritty isnt as important...most of your players know how to play and can execute mostly anything. Look at RDM after AVB left the chavs...little to no tactical genius, but he knew how to jazz up a dressing room.

Back
Top Bottom