Hoddle Cracks Timmy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Glenn Hoddle: Why I'm Not 'Touting' for the Tottenham Hotspur Job
By Glenn Hoddle, Guest Columnist Apr 28, 2014

I read yesterday that Tim Sherwood is having a go at managers "touting" themselves for his Tottenham job and has decided to include me as one, along with Louis van Gaal. How wrong can you be?

"Every time I speak to (the media) it's the same: 'This manager’s coming in... Van Gaal, then Hoddle, this one and that one,'" Sherwood told reporters. "Some of these managers are actually touting themselves for my job. I don’t think that’s right."

The truth of the matter is vastly different, and I can imagine by naming me he is deflecting attention from himself, which is fair enough—managers do it all the time.

However, I have stated many times in numerous interviews that I have been a Spurs supporter from the age of eight, played for the club from the age of 11, have played for Tottenham, managed Tottenham and would never turn my back on Tottenham. If they asked me, I would help them.

And they did ask me: The club asked my opinions. And I spoke with them when Andre Villas-Boas was sacked, and again they asked my opinion.

Of course, it is now a well-known fact that the club asked about the possibility of me taking over until the end of the season. As Spurs are in my blood, they are my DNA, I would never have not helped them out if they wanted me to.

It never happened, but they were the only club at which I would have taken such a short-term position, just to help them. They opted not to take that option, and that is their prerogative, of course.

I have now been asked the same question about what happened prior to Tim Sherwood’s appointment as manager, and time and again I have give the same answer. That is that.

Tim Sherwood must obviously feel under pressure to take what has happened and what has been in the public domain for some time now and choose to interpret that as me touting for his job.

The chance might have been there, and it wasn’t there as it turned out, so there would be no point touting for his job!

Look, I have read in the papers and seen it on the Internet that I am the favourite for this job, that job, virtually every job. That I am ready, that I am desperate to get back into management, that I am touting for this or that job. But I am not. I am not applying.

I am not shutting the door on management, but if the right one came up, I might be tempted to take it. I need to be passionate about it, I would need to be totally immersed in it and it would need to be right for me to want to do that, as I currently have quite a few football things on the go that interest me.

So anyone can draw the correct conclusion. Touting for another manager's job is not what I am doing!

What is at the crux of Tim Sherwood’s annoyance with me is crystal clear: I made an observation, which I am perfectly entitled to do, about the body language of the Spurs players, one in particular, in the tunnel prior to the Liverpool match.

I would say I was proven 100 percent right by what happened on the pitch after I made that observation.

The team didn’t look focused, but Tim should know that I also made it clear that the management shouldn’t be blamed for that. It was the wrong attitude of the players, but that sort of attitude prevails at times in the modern game.

But just look what happened. Spurs conceded an own goal after a couple of minutes. That emphasised the attitude I was pointing out before the match.

I believe that Tim Sherwood took my observation the wrong way and believed it was a dig at him, that I said he should have had the players in the right frame of mind and focused on the game. But again, I made the point that I blamed the players, not the management.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-im-not-touting-for-the-tottenham-hotspur-job

Wouldn't have him back as manager full time. Overrated as a manger in my opinion, notwithstanding that he was a legend as a player. I think he's status as a legendary player gives people the rose tinted glasses somewhat.

The bad blood between him and Sherwood goes back a decade to Hoddle's time in charge. So I'm not surprised at the war of words. I have to say that dragging in out in the media does neither any favours.

That said, I would've rather Hoddle as interim until the end of the year instead of this farce if I had known just how excruciating it would be under Sherwood. .

Improved as a manager by the time he got to Chelsea (annoyingly) but may have had many of the same issues we have now with Tim, Hoddle is known for falling out with players, can be very stubborn in not such a good way and it would be harder to give him the door at the end of the season than Sherwood. That being said he was an amazing player and is rightly loved by the fans.

Sherwood has got his big break as manager and can go and get a job somewhere else, Hoddle will no doubt continue as a pundit and lets all hope the next choice of manager is the right one.

In defence to Sherwood, back then he was absolutely right about what was wrong with the club, and he was not afraid to say it. Just like Ade was to AVB.

Mystic healers, born again etc. He moved in with his psychic! Darren Anderton..The poor fucker who's groin was in shreds turned to her. He ended up getting way too many cortisone injections because obviously it did not work. One of the players he signed died. I'd hate to think he was doing that mystical shit and got misdiagnosed.

Great player, but a very strange person.

Hoddle IMO would have been a great person to get in until the summer. Experiance, Knows the club inside and out and would have had respect

Also would've almost definitely united the fans after all the division over AVB and brought a bit of a good feeling back around the club (certainly among the fans)

Sorry but any Spurs fan that wouldn't have preferred Glenn Hoddle til the end of the season over Tim Sherwood needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

IMO there is no question that the fans (the ones in the stadium at least) would've been united behind Hoddle which is a lot more than can be said for what we've got at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom