Hillsborough tributes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There actually are some salient points that come up in this thread -

Firstly, Hillsborough aside, that football has decided that as it is a part of society it will mourn the losses of key figures and the amount silences and tributes in general, we have more minute silences quite regularly and to be honest most of the time it's not a problem, it's more like PR to ensure that clubs pay their respects like everyone else, it's probably right but it does feel like a shift from, say, 10-15 years back.

Public outpourings and tributes are an odd thing though, they may show solidarity and respect but when those people are not directly linked to those events, how long does one mourn and what's the best way to do that? The Diana funeral for example evoked a strange sense of national mourning which, at times, I didn't feel was right, I don't know if that was just me and apologies if it was! I think we've become more emotive as a society.

Secondly there are many ways to remember the dead and mourn the loss of people, there are times and places before the football game. This weekend Liverpool host Man U and we all know there's a hatred between them, if Munich and Hillsborough fans get sung it will become a bigger news story than the game, talksport & the tabloids will be literally filling their boots with opinions lined up to decry the state of the game.

Personally, while I totally sympathise with the families of the 96 and the injustice they faced over all those years I am not sure next Saturday at Anfield is the time and place to lay tribute to the 96, there is a flame and memorial at the corner of the Anfield ground where fans can pay their respects and it's been there the whole time since the tragedy. But in honesty it's not for me to say or decide on it and I hope that the tribute goes well, does justice to the families and that both sets of fans don't bring their club and our game in to disrepute with offensive chants.

Thirdly there is a very salient point that Smoked Salmon makes about 'fatigue' and it's that no matter how valid a message is it's human nature to ignore it more as time goes on and even tire of hearing it. That's not to say it's not an important message. For example a lot of broadcasters like Comic Relief needed to serious re-evaluate how many charity segway films were played out per hour because the public become immune to the message. It's not so much that the amount of tributes pisses anyone off or offends, it's more like that more people become disengaged from that grieving process over time in my view.

Fourthly and finally (thank god you're all saying!) The Holocaust is absolutely different to Hillsborough in terms of scale, intention and global effect & how the events should be perceived. Having visited one of the camps even now I struggle to picture at the enormity of what intentionally happened, while there has to be a massive amount of grief about the murder of 6 million people, the message is a greater one, it's a lesson for future generations about the dangers of how far hatred can go and the destruction it causes.

Hillsborough was a tragedy, a horrible cover up and a terrible slight against Liverpool fans, really it's for them to decide how they want to mark this occasion now.

Personally I think the tributes should come from the fans rather than the slightly forced tributes from the FA, the Premier League and the clubs.

I believe that each and every fan who understands what happened at Hillsborough feels for the families of the victims and would happily pay tribute to these victims. Napoli fans held up a banner remembering the 96 who died at their last match and to me, such a tribute just seems so much more genuine than these organised ones. Grief is a very personal thing and I think that this mass outpouring of what may be perceived as insincere grief from politicians and the media could alienate individuals.

While I think you may have a point that too many tributes could be counterproductive, on the whole I don't think it is the number, I think it is more who it is and in which way they are presented. Now I might be a cynic, but when I hear David Cameron and Ed Miliband talking about the events at Hillsborough I do not get the impression that these remarks are sincere, I feel that they are abusing peoples emotions for their own gain, and this is the problem which has arisen since the publication of these documents.

Have to say I agree with the general point of SS's OP.

If you hold a memorial or tribute to something every 5 minutes it no longer becomes a tribute - that's not say that the innocent victims (could easily have been Spurs fans in '81 remember) should be/are forgotten but this kind of forced universal tribute doesn't really honour their memory.

Hillsbrough is a moment from when everything changed in English football, for better or worse, and as such I don't really have an issue with a minute of silence/reflection each year (as many people will on the mornings of 11th September or 7th July etc either collectively at work or in private) on the weekend next to the anniversary or at the Cup Semi-Finals in particular. I understand the outpouring last week and Liverpool FC's desire to do something this weekend, the report marks a big moment for them and their families but will this be the same every time another step is taken i.e. a new inquest is opened, criminal charges brought, people sent down for the cover up?

Also, to whoever was making the comparison, as tragic as it is and as much as every life is precious the death of 96 football fans and the attempted extermination of an entire race of people is slightly different...

Upon seeing the Holocaust direction this thread has taken

3204840swsw.gif

Erik_Edman said:
Upon seeing the Holocaust direction this thread has taken

[ Image ]

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies is an argument made by Mike Godwin in 1990 that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis.

(...) the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Ok, what do you make of this. Ed Milliband has issued an apology for being photographed with a copy of The Sun. He was holding it up a special edition copy that purported to cheer on England for the World Cup. Cameron, Clegg, Boris, Farage all had similar pictures taken by the paper. All the pictures were taen to show support for the national team.

Now, if I were a politician I would have reservations about holding it up, but that is because of Murdoch and his flagrant disregard for both Parliament and the laws of our nation. But no, Miliband has to apologise because apparently it's offensive to the Hillsborough victims because of the way the disaster was reported by the paper. But this is 30 years ago now and the editor and journos responsible for those stories have long since left the paper, and Miliband was a schoolboy back then. It's quit obvious he wasn't trying to cause offense.

Seems to me that we're getting to the stage where Hillsborough is a complete no go area and any remote thing is deemed offensive. Surely it's way over the top?

Ok, what do you make of this. Ed Milliband has issued an apology for being photographed with a copy of The Sun. He was holding it up a special edition copy that purported to cheer on England for the World Cup. Cameron, Clegg, Boris, Farage all had similar pictures taken by the paper. All the pictures were taen to show support for the national team.

Now, if I were a politician I would have reservations about holding it up, but that is because of Murdoch and his flagrant disregard for both Parliament and the laws of our nation. But no, Miliband has to apologise because apparently it's offensive to the Hillsborough victims because of the way the disaster was reported by the paper. But this is 30 years ago now and the editor and journos responsible for those stories have long since left the paper, and Miliband was a schoolboy back then. It's quit obvious he wasn't trying to cause offense.

Seems to me that we're getting to the stage where Hillsborough is a complete no go area and any remote thing is deemed offensive. Surely it's way over the top?
After reading that first paragraph I had absolutely no clue how you were going to link that back into this thread... Then, that. What the hell is up with that?! This isn't grief of the effected families, this is disgusting people exploiting a horrific event to suit whatever twisted agenda they have. Let the families mourn in peace, I'm sure at least some of them don't like seeing constant reminders of those events every other time they turn on their TV.

After reading that first paragraph I had absolutely no clue how you were going to link that back into this thread... Then, that. What the hell is up with that?! This isn't grief of the effected families, this is disgusting people exploiting a horrific event to suit whatever twisted agenda they have. Let the families mourn in peace, I'm sure at least some of them don't like seeing constant reminders of those events every other time they turn on their TV.
It seems they don't want to. Maybe a small minority are tainting the rest, but they seem intent on making everything they do as public as possible. I dunno, maybe I'm different, but I'd want to mourn the death of my own in peace, out of the spotlight. And to be frank, dragging it up 3 times a year cannot be healthy for any of them. Regardless of who was responsible, tragedies happen all the time. People die. It's shit. It's not the biggest tragedy of the last 30 years in this country, let alone Europe or the world, and I don't appreciate being made to feel like we should all feel sorry for them all the time. I wasn't even nearly born when it happened, yet I spend about 8 minutes every year remembering them in silence.

There is no doubt in my mind the events were horrific, but I don't understand why Hillsborough seems to get special attention.

It seems they don't want to. Maybe a small minority are tainting the rest, but they seem intent on making everything they do as public as possible. I dunno, maybe I'm different, but I'd want to mourn the death of my own in peace, out of the spotlight. And to be frank, dragging it up 3 times a year cannot be healthy for any of them. Regardless of who was responsible, tragedies happen all the time. People die. It's shit. It's not the biggest tragedy of the last 30 years in this country, let alone Europe or the world, and I don't appreciate being made to feel like we should all feel sorry for them all the time. I wasn't even nearly born when it happened, yet I spend about 8 minutes every year remembering them in silence.

There is no doubt in my mind the events were horrific, but I don't understand why Hillsborough seems to get special attention.
Indeed. Nobody ever mentions the Bradford City fire and the Ibrox disaster barely get's a shred of the attention Hillsborough gets.

I don't know how many families are involved in the tributes and campaigns. I suspect it is probably a minority and there is considerable bandwaggoning from Liverpudlians, politicians, Liverpool fans and the club itself. It's like it has become the topic of choice for people with a tenuous link to the tragedy to use for their own self worthiness.

Indeed. Nobody ever mentions the Bradford City fire and the Ibrox disaster barely get's a shred of the attention Hillsborough gets.

I don't know how many families are involved in the tributes and campaigns. I suspect it is probably a minority and there is considerable bandwaggoning from Liverpudlians, politicians, Liverpool fans and the club itself. It's like it has become the topic of choice for people with a tenuous link to the tragedy to use for their own self worthiness.
I know it's a sore subject for some, but I for one have no concern for it any longer. Football, and indeed the world has changed beyond recognition since then. We're not even allowed to stand up for a brief 10 seconds as we attack any more.

Health and safety and building regulations would never allow a similar thing to happen again. I don't think we need to keep bringing it up personally, even in the FA Cup. If Liverpool want to, fine, no problem, but it means little to me as a Spurs fan.

I know it's a sore subject for some, but I for one have no concern for it any longer. Football, and indeed the world has changed beyond recognition since then. We're not even allowed to stand up for a brief 10 seconds as we attack any more.

Health and safety and building regulations would never allow a similar thing to happen again. I don't think we need to keep bringing it up personally, even in the FA Cup. If Liverpool want to, fine, no problem, but it means little to me as a Spurs fan.
Indeed, with all the regulations nowadays it no longer has a place to be reminding people. Grief is something that should be left to the families and the families alone, if they want tributes at Anfield then they're more than welcome to it.

The fact of the matter is though there is no reason to drag it out any more. It achieves nothing useful to the grieving or to other football fans. It just feels like it's being manipulated to the needs of someone else's agenda and it's working because as soon as anyone says anything they're dismissed as a heartless and thoughtless bastard.

Indeed, with all the regulations nowadays it no longer has a place to be reminding people. Grief is something that should be left to the families and the families alone, if they want tributes at Anfield then they're more than welcome to it.

The fact of the matter is though there is no reason to drag it out any more. It achieves nothing useful to the grieving or to other football fans.

Can I ask where you were when Hillsborough happened and what your specific memories of that day were?

Also, do you not think it's something that the wider footballing community should honour?

Can I ask where you were when Hillsborough happened and what your specific memories of that day were?

Also, do you not think it's something that the wider footballing community should honour?
I'll be honest, I wasn't even born by that point. I know that makes it harder for me to understand the horror of what happened that day.

However at the same time I think tragedies need to stop being brought up when they've served to improve things as much as they can. I feel Hillsborough has done this in that justice has been served and stadium safety has massively improved over here. As such I think the at least some of the mourning families should be kept out of the public eye and left to mourn in peace.

I was 11 when it happened and remember it clearly.

The wider footballing community of course should honour it, and it does, but there is a difference between honouring it and going over the top. Earlier in the thread we discussed the concept of grief fatigue. I think that so many people have bandwaggoned it that by the time of the 30th anniversary so many constant tributes had been paid, particularly by Liverpool and it's fans, that people just see it all as run of the mill now. I don't think it helps either that football clubs pretty much jump on any death or disaster these days to wheel out the black armbands, sometimes to the extent that there's often at least one club a week wearing them. People don't care anymore. Plus, like I say, there is no consistency between Hillsborough and Bradford, Ibrox or even Heysel. This is not the fault of the victims or, on most cases the families, this is a problem caused by Liverpool fans, politicians and other worthies jumping in to show their psuedo-grief. But the effect is that after a while the public becomes tired of hearing about it.

I also don't think it's healthy that Hillsborough has become the discussion that people dare not have for risk of being labelled a heartless bastard by the worthies. Yes The Sun reported disgracefully. But that was 30 years ago and back in 2007 I think it was, the paper issued an apology on it's front page - so why the latest bullshit? It can only apoligise, what more is deemed necessary? Also, yes some of the families should seek justice for any police wrongdoing, but further investigations and enquiries have now vindicated the victims for any fan wrongdoings and highlighted the police failings. So why have we now reached a situation where it's an untouchable subject? Why are we not allowed to say enough is enough, that the worthies and bandwaggoners have sucked the life out of the mourning and that those families that did decide to grieve in peace should finally now be left to come to terms with their grief? If a politician, football person or celebrity came out and said this now they'd be rounded on like hounds on a fresh cut of sirloin and then forced to apologise. But should they have to? I don't think so myself.

Liverpool fans never there fault, always the victim.

They're not football fans in that video. They're fucking scum bags. They're the ones no doubt using Hillsborough for there twisted version of a moral high ground at the expense of the families.

Our rivalry with Woolwich is intense, there's no doubt about it But I think our rivalry is the best because we don't mock major disasters in songs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard a Woolwich fan hiss or sing about the Nazi's despite the Chelscum and Spam supporters doing exactly that. It's why despite the immense rivalry there is some semblance of respect between the clubs because neither crosses the line.

They're not football fans in that video. They're fucking scum bags. They're the ones no doubt using Hillsborough for there twisted version of a moral high ground at the expense of the families.

Our rivalry with Woolwich is intense, there's no doubt about it But I think our rivalry is the best because we don't mock major disasters in songs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard a Woolwich fan hiss or sing about the Nazi's despite the Chelscum and Spam supporters doing exactly that. It's why despite the immense rivalry there is some semblance of respect between the clubs because neither crosses the line.
we don't mock major disasters because there's been none involving Spurs or Woolwich. Believe me if there were there would be a minority at each club singing songs taking the piss.

Scum fans singing "it should have been you" at Adebayor, Spurs fans singing "Wenger is a paedophile"... No point taking the high ground over chanting .

Although chavs and scouse are clearly the most odious fans in the country

Back
Top Bottom