Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't understand why he is not being "rested" on the bench, clearly not firing on half, let alone on all cylinders.

It is almost cruel watching it, Son obviously knows he isn't performing, he looks so off on the pitch.

Is there commercial pressure for him to play? I just struggle to understand why else he would be starting. It is fair to say on any match day at home, there are hundreds of his home country supporters spilling out of the Spurs shop, laden down with shirts, scarves and goodies.

Improbable that it would influence a team sheet and who starts, but I am really scrabbling around looking for reasons. Start him on the bench, bring him on at the 60 mark, fresh legs, to terrorise a defence. Give him an edge to bang a goal or 2 in and I am sure that confidence would return. One thing is for sure, it ain't clicking at the moment.

I don't understand why he is not being "rested" on the bench, clearly not firing on half, let alone on all cylinders.

It is almost cruel watching it, Son obviously knows he isn't performing, he looks so off on the pitch.

Is there commercial pressure for him to play? I just struggle to understand why else he would be starting. It is fair to say on any match day at home, there are hundreds of his home country supporters spilling out of the Spurs shop, laden down with shirts, scarves and goodies.

Improbable that it would influence a team sheet and who starts, but I am really scrabbling around looking for reasons. Start him on the bench, bring him on at the 60 mark, fresh legs, to terrorise a defence. Give him an edge to bang a goal or 2 in and I am sure that confidence would return. One thing is for sure, it ain't clicking at the moment.
think (as someone said above) Conte's system is to use Son's pace behind their defence, but that needs him to be able to control the ball and get a shot on target, and at this time he is not doing that
so maybe its Conte's fault that he will not change his system when a main player is missing/out of form ?

think (as someone said above) Conte's system is to use Son's pace behind their defence, but that needs him to be able to control the ball and get a shot on target, and at this time he is not doing that
so maybe its Conte's fault that he will not change his system when a main player is missing/out of form ?

Could be, but it is just so painful to see how it is not working at the moment. I am sure Son will come good, just hope it is sooner than later if Conte keeps picking him to start.

Start of this season proving how important Son is to the way we play. Not much else has changed between this season and last except Son's form. Same stodgy midfield, same hot and cold Kane, same unimaginative backline.... everyone rightly complaining about all the same old shit. Only difference is Son's form. Our counter attacks and modus operandi aren't effective without him contributing. I also think that's why he hasn't been or won't be dropped. He's too important to just bin, it means changing everything. Shit situation
This is by no means a way to discredit Son who's put in some amazing performances over the years.

At the moment we aren't struggling just because Son is having a bad run of games. A lot of it comes down to continuing to play him for close to full length games, while he contributes next to nothing.
At some points we're effectively playing with 10 men. If you take Son out of the last 5 games and replaced him with Richarlison the results wouldn't have been any worse, but they could've been better.

You cant change your whole system when 1 player is out of form.
He needs to be dropped to the bench and next man in now. Has had his chance to play through this funk i think.
We put in good balls into the box last night and we need people on the end of them.

You cant change your whole system when 1 player is out of form.
He needs to be dropped to the bench and next man in now. Has had his chance to play through this funk i think.
We put in good balls into the box last night and we need people on the end of them.
I believe that any good coach even at grassroots level should coach their team to be able to play 2 or 3 diferent ways/formations, (even using the same 11 players)
we don't have 2 players like Son, so if Son doesn't play the system just changes by the fact that no-one else has Son's pace

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the undroppable Kane+Son duo has run its course.

Neither does anything off the ball and that means we can’t press and the opponent can dominate possession.

Son can chase through balls and shoot but he can’t pass or create his own shot.

Kane can create and score but can’t run or get in the box.

There’s a reason we looked worse as the game went on yesterday and it’s because both of these players provided less and less off the ball as the game went on. It’s better to have them at a high level for 60 minutes than for them to spread that same work out over 90 minutes.

If we decide to start Kane/Son every time they are healthy, our ceiling is 4th. We need an actual team… not just 2 players.

Son doesn't like competition for his place and it has affected his game. He needs to be dropped coz Richarlison is a much better player at this moment. I would also like to see the Doc instead of Emerson and more use of Spence who played really well when he came on as sub playing down the middle.

Son doesn't like competition for his place and it has affected his game. He needs to be dropped coz Richarlison is a much better player at this moment. I would also like to see the Doc instead of Emerson and more use of Spence who played really well when he came on as sub playing down the middle.
hes had spells like this when he hasn't had a 60 million brazilian breathing down his neck though. he defo needs to be dropped now, its not even rested, its dropped. hes been a disgrace in the first 5 games and conte needs to show them that there is standards now. if they are buckling under the pressure of having to meet standards then they simply cant handle the heat.

a game or two will do him the world of good im sure of it. keeping him out there is going to make it worse for him and for the team as a whole.

a fresh son against a shithouse who set up originally to counter us and find themselves 2-0, he would come on and destroy them when they have to step up to try get something from the game. thats his bread and butter. him starting against sides where nous and buildup is required is killing us and him.

hes had spells like this when he hasn't had a 60 million brazilian breathing down his neck though. he defo needs to be dropped now, its not even rested, its dropped. hes been a disgrace in the first 5 games and conte needs to show them that there is standards now. if they are buckling under the pressure of having to meet standards then they simply cant handle the heat.

a game or two will do him the world of good im sure of it. keeping him out there is going to make it worse for him and for the team as a whole.

This kind of hyperbole is unnecessary.

He's a fully committed player.... A top player...... Last year's golden boot winner......... He's really done nothing to deserve being talked about in such terms.

Last edited:
What people don't realize is Kane and Son is yet to get going and when they look out, yes Kane has scored goals but I know sharp Kane he doesn't need a second touch in the box is when you know Kane is sharp.

Either Conte's tactics has a lot to do with Son being anonymous/MIA or he's being smothered by defenses. Or perhaps it's intentional because his form is woefully off. But if you took at the number of touches Son has gotten over the past 4 games, you'll see what I mean - the pass isn't coming to him.

-Chelsea: 29
-Wolves: 39
-Forest: 26
-West Ham: 35

Last Seasons Avg: 48

Last edited:
Either Conte's tactics has a lot to do with Son being anonymous/MIA or he's being smothered by defenses. Or perhaps it's intentional because his form is off. But if you took at the number of touches Son has gotten over the past 4 games, you'll see what I mean - the pass isn't coming to him.

-Chelsea: 29
-Wolves: 39
-Forest: 26
-West Ham: 35

Last Seasons Avg: 48

It's rarely just one thing for anyone. Its combinations of bad form opposition defense Contes tactic and all that forms one unhappy circle of shit right now for Son. He wasn't sharp to begin with and probably got worse game by game because he is asked to run a lot for some attacking and lots of defending from his wing position back to sprint off to lead the counter when it happens etc. I bet he has been the player that ran the most or close to most on all four games with less touches and nothing to show for?

Well see how the team does when he finally gets rotated on Saturday. It's a long season. We will see how this new "Conte ball" plays out for the club for this very critical season.

Is this going to be the season? Or going to be just another

This kind of hyperbole is unnecessary.

He's a fully committed player.... A top player...... Last year's golden boot winner......... He's really done nothing to deserve being talked about in such terms.
And let’s not forget he put the team on his back when Kane was in the Caribbean trying to arrange a transfer to City.

What a crock of shit, he always has these spells, hasn't had competition before this year.
He will come good as he always does, the only way is to play yourself in to form, he just needs a lucky break to get his head back up and he will be flying again

Son will be great again at points this season, but it's an absolute killer watching this one back. Three points from that game would have seen us take great advantage of slow league starts by Chelsea/Liverpool.

Son will be great again at points this season, but it's an absolute killer watching this one back. Three points from that game would have seen us take great advantage of slow league starts by Chelsea/Liverpool.

The 2 pass move from Peri & Kane there is insane.......

Back
Top Bottom