Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The guy who scored the hattrick isn't the one from Salzburg. The guy who scored the winning penalty does though and I don't remember us ever being linked with him.

We were linked with Hang Kwang-song though who is North Korean. However, he isn't at this tournament with NK.

Thanks for the info. All I remember is reading a couple of half stories about us &a Liverpool looking at some South Korean playing for Salzburg. Having a further European League competitor in their team can only be a good thing for their chances. Son winning a gold for South Korea is a much bigger thing for us as a club than tonight's game. Offer me the chance to see Sonny take home gold or us schooling United tonight I know what I'd take. Such an important little player for us

Baseballl does not trump football at all. The biggest event in Korea is the Korean football team.
I was referring to celebrity outside Korea anyway, i didn't suppose that the Kims were particularly popular south of the border.
Personally I've never heard of any other Koreans aside from Park Ji Seung, and he was shit
I'm not really sure why you'd think Korean officials would make celebrities of greater internal renown serve but exempt a celebrity of lesser internal renown simply because they're better known among European sports followers. A ridiculously euro-centric idea. Theres a whole world out there that doesn't give a toss about footballers, you know?

You couldn't be more wrong .....

Firstly he's not even in the top twenty of Korean celebrities .... secondly the more 'famous' you are in Korea the less likely you are to avoid National service .... even the BBC got this about right ....

Son Heung-min: Could the Tottenham forward really do military service?
It's about the only thing they did get right...because Son left Korea before he got his high school certificate he doesn't actually qualify for military service, instead his service will be the equivalent of community service...he won't even be able to play football for a military team...

Of course, it is the same in most countries were the standard is shit. People prefer to watch the big leagues on the TV.
The country shuts down when Korea has a big football match though, not for baseball

The country was relatively quiet for WC 2018 because they were all disappointed by the terrible performance the NT has shown for the past 8 years. All blames on the Korea Football Association + shitty managers they hired.

I'm not really sure why you'd think Korean officials would make celebrities of greater internal renown serve but exempt a celebrity of lesser internal renown simply because they're better known among European sports followers. A ridiculously euro-centric idea. Theres a whole world out there that doesn't give a toss about footballers, you know?
Which sports stars have they made serve that are bigger than Son? Football is the world's game, the most popular sport in the world and Korea, quite a ridiculously American-centric view you have

The country was relatively quiet for WC 2018 because they were all disappointed by the terrible performance the NT has shown for the past 8 years. All blames on the Korea Football Association + shitty managers they hired.
Understandably low expectations. The country will stand still again if you reach the final of the Asian Games

Son's South Korea play Vietnam (who beat Syria 1-0) tomorrow (29th) with the Final and 3rd/4th play off both on 1 September.

So we'll have Son back after our next match v Watford. and with Moura playing well we've not really missed him, but we'll certainly need him when we play midweek matches in cups and CL and need to rotate or rest players.

Son's South Korea play Vietnam (who beat Syria 1-0) tomorrow (29th) with the Final and 3rd/4th play off both on 1 September.

So we'll have Son back after our next match v Watford. and with Moura playing well we've not really missed him, but we'll certainly need him when we play midweek matches in cups and CL and need to rotate or rest players.
So he is back for Liverpool nice and rested since he doesn't have to play a friendly in the international break.

Korea u23 team is on now. Defence still suspect but offence on fire. Son looks to be about a game and a half away from the Exemption.

Fantastic that he's going to have the chance to play for his immunity and we're all behind him.

However I do fear we are going to have a very burnt out Sonny this season. Poch's decision to play him at Newcastle looking like a smart one.

Back
Top Bottom