Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he's contributed a lot this season , surely no one can argue that, he is a very good player just not a great player like some expected him to be when we signed him I think

I like him! He's not the finished article but think he gives us an energy, which we sometimes lack, especially yesterday when we missed Danny's runs down the wing. As mentioned by many, he does make the wrong decision sometimes, but name me a player who always gets it right. He will get better with age and experience. He plays the game with a smile on his face and he never stops trying, which for me makes up for his shortcomings.

I think he is having an exceptional year and some of his critics must realize that the Premier League is the most difficult league for a player to get their footing. He came from the Bundesliga where we had the likes of Andre Shurrle, Lukas Podolski, Mustafi, Holtby, Emre Can and Schweinsteiger who had great impact in the Bundesliga but have been in large less successful here than Son. People talk about his selfishness but isn't that what we want from an attacking player? He does have 3 assists and made two great crosses this weekend to Kane. Also some critics talk about his first touch but with the exception of CR7, Neymar, Messi and a very few, his touch is no worse than most. He is by no means a finished article but his pace, nose for the ball, goal scoring ability he has rightfully gained the Manager's trust and Lamela has to be exceptional to keep Son out of the starting 11 now.

In one person's opinion. tbonepremier 's points are perfectly valid. He's a handful for any fullback, but his decision making and selfishness count against him. He could be so much better. Why is that so hard to admit?

Yes Son can improve , Alli can improve, Eriksen can improve , shall I go on ? I am questioning the mentality of someone who slights the weekends match winner for creating chances and missing the occasional one. To call Son just a highlight reel player is ridiculous considering the positive influence he has had on several matches this season, highlight reel players don't win player of the month or multiple motm awards. Yes as tbone points out he can be selfish at times , but would he have anywhere near the amount of goals and chance creation were it not for his selfish streak ?? I don't think so. Who was motm in your opinion Joe? I was torn between Son and Wanyama both were very good.

Yes Son can improve , Alli can improve, Eriksen can improve , shall I go on ? I am questioning the mentality of someone who slights the weekends match winner for creating chances and missing the occasional one. To call Son just a highlight reel player is ridiculous considering the positive influence he has had on several matches this season, highlight reel players don't win player of the month or multiple motm awards. Yes as tbone points out he can be selfish at times , but would he have anywhere near the amount of goals and chance creation were it not for his selfish streak ?? I don't think so. Who was motm in your opinion Joe? I was torn between Son and Wanyama both were very good.
tbonepremier didn't say anything that suggested Son didn't play well Saturday. His comment wasn't in any way focused on saturdays game. Your response was as if he'd said he was shit Saturday and didn't deserve MOTM.

No one has done anything more than point out that while he is very lively and capable of match winning moments he is also very wasteful and needs to improve on that.

Saturday we won 1-0 in a game that should have been 3 or 4-0. You can look at it in 2 ways.

a) son won us the game by winning the penalty that got us the goal

b) had Son been more efficient/clinical with the positions he found himself in we wouldn't have needed to rely on a 1-0 penalty winner.

Son is unquestionably an exciting player. He works hard. Gets on the ball a lot. Causes teams problems and has had a number of match winning moments.

No one is pretending the above isn't true.

No one is saying we should sell him.

No one is saying he's shit.

It's ok to point out players flaws as well as praise their strengths.

Of course he has goals because he's selfish - I'm simply suggesting that we'd have a lot more if he wasn't. He would improve so much if he became aware of team mates in better positions - even if it is detrimental to his personal tally.

Kane has a selfish streak - our attack suffers when 2 of the front 4 display similar traits.

Sonny had a great game - the best I've seen him for us, and he deserved his motm, but he could be a devastating player with a quiet word from Poch. It doesn't even require any coaching. He's improving all the time, and I'm confident he'll become more of a team player in the future.

If Son's decision-making skill was so good and he scores all the time, he'd be playing for Real Madrid.
Calm yourselves and imagine how yesterday's match would've been played without him. Or the matches against Wycombe, Stoke, Middlesbrough (in September), Man City, CSKA Moscow, West Ham, and more.
Obviously, he has been an essential part of this season's run.

Not even on RM, only on Video games these perfect players exist. not really worth replying to these kid posters

The other question we have to ask ourselves is, "Has he lived up to our expectation? "and the answer is a clear yes and more. We often are critical because we want the very best from our players but Son, is the last person we can say that is not making his paycheck. He often can be frustrating and by no means a finished product but if you were to tell me same time last year he would have 11 goals in all competition by February, win us a few games with vital penalties, be a Premier League player of the month (only Spurs player this year) and is a solid goal threat every time he is on the pitch, I would be over the moon.

Last edited:
highlight reel players don't win player of the month or multiple motm awards.

I guess that depends on how you define highlight reel players. If you define it as players who are capable of scoring magnificent solo goals, who when in form can put in some very impressive performances, but who are inconsistent and more often than not struggles in their defensive play and with team play, then I'd say you are wrong.

How many times have Vincent Kompany, Ngolo Kante or Toby Alderweireld won player of the month? 0. Rio Ferdinand won it once, for Leeds in 2001. Defensive contribution rarely matters for awards like that. It's almost always about goal scorers.

The last 7: Kane, Aguero, Sterling, Son, Hazard, Costa, Ibrahimovic.
Before that, Forster got it.
Then: Aguero, Ighalo, Vardy, Vardy, Martial, Ayew, Benteke, Giroud, Kane, Kane, Austin, Aguero, Sakho, Pelle, Costa, Wickham, Suarez.
From the last 25 awards, three have gone to offensive midfielders fully or partly playing as forwards (Son, Sterling and Hazard), 21 have gone to forwards, and one to a goalkeeper. Do you think they got the awards for outstanding team work and defensive contribution, or for being the main men on highlight reels from their respective months?

You have to go back to March 2013 to find the last time a defender got PotM: Jan Vertonghen, in a month he just happened to score a brace against Liverpool.

Now, please realise that I am by no means saying Son is bad. I value team play, unselfish behaviour, putting the team first, and consistency. These are qualities that I find important for a team that needs to consistently win to challenge for a title, and qualities that Son still needs to work on. In the right games (see City at home, he should've started in the away game as well) he contributes with qualities making him a great choice for our starting eleven. He's a player that can win games like that for us. Against weaker, bus-parking sides, though, his inconsistency and the lack of quality he shows on a bad day, are factors that may lose us those must-win games.

If he does improve our consistency, and he learns to make a simple pass to set up others, he may become our best player. He might be the one with the highest potential in our squad.

Oh, and by the way: I have similar feelings towards Kane's selfishness.

We would be worse off without him. That's the bottom line.

He has some flaws, but if he ironed them all out as some on here are asking for - he would be a Bale-level player. Not everyone can be that good week in week out.

I like him! He's not the finished article but think he gives us an energy, which we sometimes lack, especially yesterday when we missed Danny's runs down the wing. As mentioned by many, he does make the wrong decision sometimes, but name me a player who always gets it right. He will get better with age and experience. He plays the game with a smile on his face and he never stops trying, which for me makes up for his shortcomings.
We would be worse off without him. That's the bottom line.

He has some flaws, but if he ironed them all out as some on here are asking for - he would be a Bale-level player. Not everyone can be that good week in week out.

Agree... he's growing on me every week... if you look closely, there's just the merest nugget of VDV about him...
...he OOZES enthusiasm, plays with a smile on his face :sonlol:(a rarity these days) :parker:and seems to be very much part of the squad, and all it's 'Brotherhood togetherness' that is crucial for team bonding and sense of belonging.

I thought he'd be a bit of an outsider (like Lloris & Eriksen, who can come across as a bit aloof) but after the 'Jolly Boys Outing' to Barcelona, it would seem that all the squad are as tight as a Nun's Chuff... and it's great to see**

**The unity of the squad... not the tightness of a Nun's Chuff!!

sr-wendy-e1411152683362.jpg

Last edited:
TBH, I am more worried about Kane whose goals for this season are mostly from penalties.
Bollocks. No need to bad mouth Kane in order to defend your man Sonny. Agree with Mockers Mockers here. Son is often fantastic & infuriating in the same passage of play. And several times per game. That said, his unpredictability does make him an exciting player to watch, and when he is on form he is often unplayable.

TBH, I am more worried about Kane whose goals for this season are mostly from penalties.

...i'd be more worried if he'd missed them all!!!

A goal is a goal is a goal is a goal...
and until they start awarding additional points for goals scored that aren't Pens... then i'm just happy he's sticking them away!
...anyway, what-choo got to complain about? Your man Sonny has been winning most of them for Harry to take!
It's one of his most dangerous weapons! Son's penalty-winning efforts wouldn't mean shit if Harry didn't keep scoring them!

...i'd be more worried if he'd missed them all!!!

A goal is a goal is a goal is a goal...
and until they start awarding additional points for goals scored that aren't Pens... then i'm just happy he's sticking them away!
...anyway, what-choo got to complain about? Your man Sonny has been winning most of them for Harry to take!
It's one of his most dangerous weapons! Son's penalty-winning efforts wouldn't mean shit if Harry didn't keep scoring them!
True but also realize that penalty awards are no longer awarded as an assists (given the penalty is successful) so I think the bloke is saying that Son's penalty has helped Kane banging them in without any record books mark for Son. A moot point as I agree the Son fanboys need to calm down and it's a team effort and not just Kane, Son or Dele. Without the likes of Waynma, Winks, Toby and Rose amongst others we are not even in the position for penalty let alone goal opportunities. We win with as a team and draw with a team and dare not mention losses as don't see that happening rest of the 2017 campaign to be honest.

True but also realize that penalty awards are no longer awarded as an assists ...so I think the bloke is saying that Son's penalty has helped Kane banging them in without any record books mark for Son. A moot point as I agree the Son fanboys need to calm down and it's a team effort and not just Kane, Son or Dele. Without the likes of Waynma, Winks, Toby and Rose amongst others we are not even in the position for penalty let alone goal opportunities. We win with as a team and draw with a team and dare not mention losses as don't see that happening rest of the 2017 campaign to be honest.

With respect, I don't CARE who officially goes in the 'record books' so that OPTA STATFACT FUCKERS can go on about 'Assists' per Game quota ratio...

I'm talking about the REAL fact that Son has earned a fair amountil of Pens... without which, Kane wouldn't even have the opportunity to score them...
Whether he does or not is another matter.

If EARNING a pen no longer counts as an assist, I care not one jot... as long as earning a Penalty GETS a penalty given, then that's all I care about.

Assists indeed!

How the fuck is winning a penalty not an assist? It creates a goal scoring opportunity.
As 1882 1882 says it doesn't really matter as long as the penalty gets tucked away but how these stats are put together baffles me sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom