Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can someone give a good reason why Son would sign an extension? After seeing how Kane's own extension strapped him into the utterly powerless situation he finds himself in now? Giving up all your leverage and decision making power of your own future for a couple more millions a year?

Can someone give a good reason why Son would sign an extension? After seeing how Kane's own extension strapped him into the utterly powerless situation he finds himself in now? Giving up all your leverage and decision making power of your own future for a couple more millions a year?
Because the clubs a tier above Spurs don't want him.

I disagree with that. I think Real, Barca, Juve would take him
I really don't think so honestly, and I think we see why in many of our matches.

When we are playing more direct, counter attacking football, he is an incredible asset to have with his pace, intelligence and finishing ability. When we face teams that sit deep and we need to unlock them, he struggles to make an impact.

Teams like Real, Barcelona and Juventus that will be playing possession football in every one of their matches will value a guy like Sonny less than a great counter attacking side.

I really don't think so honestly, and I think we see why in many of our matches.

When we are playing more direct, counter attacking football, he is an incredible asset to have with his pace, intelligence and finishing ability. When we face teams that sit deep and we need to unlock them, he struggles to make an impact.

Teams like Real, Barcelona and Juventus that will be playing possession football in every one of their matches will value a guy like Sonny less than a great counter attacking side.
exactly. hes a counter attacking player who needs to be going direct to be useful. playing intricate build up play with son you can forget it, hes as useful as winks in them situations.

I disagree with that. I think Real, Barca, Juve would take him
Yeah, he could walk into a ton of top teams. Probably on higher wages than we would offer too.

But would they offer as long term a deal? Maybe not. Would they be willing to splash out a huge transfer fee on a 29 year old to make it happen this summer? Maybe not. Would he be a nailed-on starter and central figure the way Kane would assuredly be basically anywhere? Maybe not.

Make no mistake, Sonny is a global star and an extremely in-demand player. But Spurs are a big and rich club and should be able to make him a very significant offer.

If we get a real number 10 in (assuming Kane leaves), would it not be best to play Son as a true 9 who runs in behind and isn't asked to track back?

He's pretty disappointing when he's a true winger and is asked to track back, but is obviously very two footed and good at timing his runs behind. He's also very predictable on the left since he almost never cuts left anymore on the opposing full back.

If we get a real number 10 in (assuming Kane leaves), would it not be best to play Son as a true 9 who runs in behind and isn't asked to track back?

He's pretty disappointing when he's a true winger and is asked to track back, but is obviously very two footed and good at timing his runs behind. He's also very predictable on the left since he almost never cuts left anymore on the opposing full back.
The manager would need to be into playing a possession style of football for sure if we are going to try Sonny as a true 9. You're right his runs are very intelligent but his horrible play is... not...

So I could definitely see him in the center of the pitch in the final 3rd, making nice runs and racking up goals with nice finishing. I can't see him being a #9 if the goal is long balls and holdup play.

The other thing you sacrifice with Sonny is an aerial threat.

Lol he could slot into any starting XI in the world, even the premier league.
To deal in specifics rather than pundit-y generalities, Harry Kane could fill an open position at Pep Guardiola's Manchester City and create the unquestioned best team in the world that would be a prohibitive PL favorite and probably the biggest CL favorite that's ever been seen. And City have the money and intent to make that happen.

Son's a fantastic player, but an obvious match of club, money, and opportunity doesn't exist for him in the same way. He's not pushing Raheem Sterling to the bench at City, for instance.

It’s ridiculous how they have a world class A and B team.
Kane would complete them.
They actually don't have THAT good of cover at the back.

But Sterling, Gundogan, Mahrez, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Foden and Torres are a ridiculous assortment of attacking players, all perfect for Pep's system and one another, it's a goddamn cyborg.

They were ripping our defensive lines open in that final like it was a training exercise.

To deal in specifics rather than pundit-y generalities, Harry Kane could fill an open position at Pep Guardiola's Manchester City and create the unquestioned best team in the world that would be a prohibitive PL favorite and probably the biggest CL favorite that's ever been seen. And City have the money and intent to make that happen.

Son's a fantastic player, but an obvious match of club, money, and opportunity doesn't exist for him in the same way. He's not pushing Raheem Sterling to the bench at City, for instance.
Lol with Sterlings abysmal finishing, zson would start 100% over Sterling. There are not three attacking players on City that would start over Son.
Son would walk into any starting XI in the world, minus Brazil or France.

Back
Top Bottom