Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tbh, probably not Mourinho’s ‘system’, but more we’ve got a combative Dele back who’s covering loads of space and the ball is being moved more quickly from MF, meaning it comes on the forwards quicker. In short, Sonny’s just adjusting to it. It’s easy for Harry as he doesn’t have to run as much, and Lucas was always the sub and is allergic to passing so the changes don’t affect him as obviously.

You really are a bizzare little creature. As far as our forwards are concerned, Son is the absolute spirit of our pressing off the ball. He’ll never make a LWB but piss poor pressing? Your reading of the game is piss poor, he creates a fuck ton of pressure in transition which causes error and turnover.

When you break it down, Blakey pretty much thinks all our players are inferior for one reason or another... Apart from Eriksen... He's seemingly flawless.

Fair fucking do's, he worked better off the ball today than usual. 6 tackles (0 interceptions). For context, his average is 1.4 a game. Mourinho clearly getting after him. And Moura was dropped today for Sissoko because he didn't work hard enough without the ball on Tuesday.

His pressing was still poor at times - but so was ours collectively as a team - he often charges at someone but lets them side step him and then he's out of the press.

Fair fucking do's, he worked better off the ball today than usual. 6 tackles (0 interceptions). For context, his average is 1.4 a game. Mourinho clearly getting after him. And Moura was dropped today for Sissoko because he didn't work hard enough without the ball on Tuesday.

His pressing was still poor at times - but so was ours collectively as a team - he often charges at someone but lets them side step him and then he's out of the press.

I agree. Son’s pressing is not good enough. We need to buy world class defensive winger with top level pressing skill.

Son is by far the most effective of our front four pressing off the ball ... whilst some posters get stuck up their own arses with numbers they don't understand, you only have to watch any game to see the truth ....

When a player is pressing well he doesn't make that many tackles or interceptions, why is that? It's because he's so quickly all over the player(s) he's pressing that after a while they simply don't get the ball ....

If you look at today's game Stacey and Cook the two B'mouth defenders on Son's side of the pitch saw the ball just 82 times ... whereas the two on the opposite flank saw the ball 117 times, why? Because Son was up and on his defenders like a nasty rash ... just like he is every week.

To even suggest Son is anything but a top class presser of defenders is beyond stupid ... watch the game don't misinterpret the statistics ...

Son's pressing poor? just how fucking stupid are some people?

Already matched his PL assist record from previous seasons and we’re only in December. His indecisiveness in the ‘final third’ can be frustrating but I’ve learned to take that from Son.

It could be instructions from the manager, one thing I noticed is when the other team has the ball, he’s way too close to our midfielders. When the ball gets played on his side (wide), he’s exerting a lot of energy having to run 15-20 meters every time to mark his man. Surely staying wide is the wiser/more conservative option?

It could be instructions from the manager, one thing I noticed is when the other team has the ball, he’s way too close to our midfielders. When the ball gets played on his side (wide), he’s exerting a lot of energy having to run 15-20 meters every time to mark his man. Surely staying wide is the wiser/more conservative option?

Is that tactical or just Son's faith in his ability to cover 15-20 metres quickly ... I suspect it's a bit of both, when we don't have the ball both Lucas and Moussa tuck in playing on the right, so maybe it is tactical ... in the past it has made us very narrow, but with Serge now getting a licence to go forward that dynamic has already changed under Jose.

For that reason I can't see Lucas getting many starts, he's not a RW so is fighting Kane and Dele for a more central position, for a similar reason I can't Ryan starting over Son playing wide left in any big games anytime soon, but early days so we will see.

2 assists today anyone see that

interesting to see how Mourinho thought about Son when he wasn't a Spur's manager.

Mourinho's interview last year talking about City vs Spurs in champion's league.
Mou talks about Son on the counter 3:49

This is my favorite goal. Hope to see more goals like this under new manager.
Mou: on the counter "nobody would do better than son"

Last edited:
Bournemouth's 2nd goal when Wilson picked up the ball in loads of space, wasn't that where Son was picking up players? But he had just gone off. Shows he did a good job tracking back prior to that.

Back
Top Bottom