Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think international football is mostly a waste of time so frankly I wish Sonny would take a page out of Kim’s book and prioritize us over his national team duties - like KMJ said he was doing when Napoli was fighting for the Scudetto last season.

Be great if Sonny retired from international football after this Asian Cup to focus solely on winning silverware with us. Obviously, we could have really used him in our FA Cup tie with City and our title challenge would have gotten a boost if Sonny was with us and we beat United over the weekend.

He is getting older so don’t like him risking injury and not resting for useless friendlies during international breaks - Wish he’d rest and practice at Hotspur way during international breaks instead.

How obnoxious and self centred.

Playing for your country is one of if not the most proudest thing a footballer can do. Any footballer will tell you that. Son has given us almost ten fucking years of his career and scored over 150 goals for spurs. If he wants to go and play for his country then so be it. He loves his country and he loves the South Korean fans who he has a god like status with. And I guarantee you Ange sees it the same way.

Yup and he’s also played international football for over ten years winning silverware in a prior Asia Cup to get his military exemption -

Meanwhile he has no club silverware so he has unfinished business with us that he doesn’t for his country. Fairly common for players to retire from international football at Sonny’s age. If he wants to win silverware with us - he’s running out of time so I think he should stop playing international football and focus on us. Also would give younger Korean players a chance to step up.

There’s no time frame on nationality though. He’s South Korean now and he’ll be South Korean after his time with spurs is up.

There’s no time frame on nationality though. He’s South Korean now and he’ll be South Korean after his time with spurs is up.
Huh? Dont understans your point? He won’t stop being South Korean cause he retires from international football - Will the South Korean govt strip of his citizenship if he stops playing for the national team?

Presumably our club will hold a place in Sonny’s heart after he retires from club football too. Or are you saying Sonny is a mercenary who just plays for us for his pay packet.

Huh? Dont understans your point? He won’t stop being South Korean cause he retires from international football - Will the South Korean govt strip of his citizenship if he stops playing for the national team?

Presumably our club will hold a place in Sonny’s heart after he retires from club football too. Or are you saying Sonny is a mercenary who just plays for us for his pay packet.

My point is he can’t just side line his international commitments to suit you or anyone else at spurs. He’s the greatest South Korean footballer that’s ever lived and he’ll play for them until he’s physically unable to.

And what the fuck even is that last sentence?
How did you conclude that from what I posted? A fucking mercenary 😂

What are you talking about? 🤣🤣

My point is he can’t just side line his international commitments to suit you or anyone else at spurs. He’s the greatest South Korean footballer that’s ever lived and he’ll play for them until he’s physically unable to.

And what the fuck even is that last sentence?
How did you conclude that from what I posted? A fucking mercenary 😂
What do you mean he “can’t”. Of course, he can - Ji Sung Park retired from the South Korean team at 29 while playing for ManU so you’re talking out your ass here. If Sonny doesn’t want to then fine - but he has a choice just like Park.

And I’ll draw it out for you - you said he will be “South Korea after his time with Spurs is up.” Sonny is club legend so he’ll ALSO BE SPURS after retires from the club - UNLESS he is a mercenary and we hold no place in his heart - which is obviously not the case.

Anyway - we’ll agree to disagree on this one since I’m starting to think you’re a Sonny - Korea fan first and Spurs supporter second - which is fine. If that is the case, hope you stick with us even after Sonny retires.

Last edited:
seen south korea vs barhain
son bad game dident do much
both teams not very diverse
the final is on 10.02.24:(

What do you mean he “can’t”. Of course, he can - Ji Sung Park retired from the South Korean team at 29 while playing for ManU so you’re talking out your ass here. If Sonny doesn’t want to then fine - but he has a choice just like Park.

And I’ll draw it out for you - you said he will be “South Korea after his time with Spurs is up.” Sonny is club legend so he’ll ALSO BE SPURS after retires from the club - unless he is a mercenary and we hold no place in his heart - which is presumably not the case.

Anyway - we’ll agree to disagree on this one since I’m starting to think you’re a Sonny - Korea fan first and Spurs second - which is fine. Hope you stick with us after Sonny retires.

Haha you read way too much into things. No doubt one of them conspiracy nuts.

Son doesn’t owe you nothing mate. So keep your selfish views on what he should or shouldn’t be doing regarding playing for SK to yourself.

And I’ll draw it out for you - you said he will be “South Korea after his time with Spurs is up.” Sonny is club legend so he’ll ALSO BE SPURS after retires from the club - UNLESS he is a mercenary and we hold no place in his heart - which is obviously not the case.

Anyway - we’ll agree to disagree on this one since I’m starting to think you’re a Sonny - Korea fan first and Spurs supporter second - which is fine. If that is the case, hope you stick with us even after Sonny retires.

You're having a 'mare here, fella.

SpursDNA

Park retired from international football because of his knees. He was already on his last legs really and retired from club football as well not too long after. It was not about prioritising club over country.

Sonny did not get military exemption from winning the Asian Cup. It was for gold in the Asian Games (which both literally and figuratively does not count as "silverware"). Korea has not won the Asian Cup in 64 years. This current Korean squad, on paper, is the most talented ever fielded and gives Sonny the best chance to win the title for him and country. You think any professional footballer worth their salt would back away from that?

Dunno what country you're from but imagine if Kane backed out of the England squad for the Euros in favour of Bayern. You wouldn't hear the end of it.

SpursDNA

Park retired from international football because of his knees. He was already on his last legs really and retired from club football as well not too long after. It was not about prioritising club over country.

Sonny did not get military exemption from winning the Asian Cup. It was for gold in the Asian Games (which both literally and figuratively does not count as "silverware"). Korea has not won the Asian Cup in 64 years. This current Korean squad, on paper, is the most talented ever fielded and gives Sonny the best chance to win the title for him and country. You think any professional footballer worth their salt would back away from that?

Dunno what country you're from but imagine if Kane backed out of the England squad for the Euros in favour of Bayern. You wouldn't hear the end of it.
I bet if the South Korean Government grants military exemption for winning the Asian cup. Korea would win it almost every single time. Its different when you have your whole career and life on the line.

I bet if the South Korean Government grants military exemption for winning the Asian cup. Korea would win it almost every single time. Its different when you have your whole career and life on the line.

But they do get exemption for winning it. Exemptions are given for (in order of difficulty):
- 4th (Semi-Finals) or better at the World Cup
- Any medal at the Olympics
- Winning the Asian Cup
- Gold at the Asian Games <- Which is why Tottenham were smart to let Son participate as the wildcard player

While we are on the subject, the way Sonny handled the Kim situation was simply brilliant.

He didn't publicly call out Kim. Instead, he just said something along the lines of, "It's always an honour to play for the country" on Instagram and then quietly unfollowed Kim.

Of course everyone noticed. Media had a field day and Kim backtracked pretty quickly. 🤣

But they do get exemption for winning it. Exemptions are given for (in order of difficulty):
- 4th (Semi-Finals) or better at the World Cup
- Any medal at the Olympics
- Winning the Asian Cup
- Gold at the Asian Games <- Which is why Tottenham were smart to let Son participate as the wildcard player
Thanks for the info in the last couple of posts.

Anyway - Off but related amusing/interesting topic - But My K-pop obsessed niece (God help her 😀) was complaining about Korean military exemptions a while back - about how/why Korean athletes get exemptions while global K-pop stars do not - Many sarcastic comments came to mind but I left it alone since she’s my niece.

But I gathered from her that its quite controversy in Korea right now. She was particularly outraged that guys winning medals from somewhere for playing video games were getting exemptions 🤣.

Of the current crop; which top SK players refused to go to the Asian Cup then?

While we are on the subject, the way Sonny handled the Kim situation was simply brilliant.

He didn't publicly call out Kim. Instead, he just said something along the lines of, "It's always an honour to play for the country" on Instagram and then quietly unfollowed Kim.

Of course everyone noticed. Media had a field day and Kim backtracked pretty quickly. 🤣

What did Kim do/say then?

Back
Top Bottom