Harry's Tax Evasion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He'll be sacked if he's proven to be guilty.

BTW Chicago Dan somehow knew about this a few days ago.

From what has ben said on Twitter by a few journo's a lot more is known that can actually be reported on. Someone said earlier that they were 'finally' allowed to report that it would go to trial.

I doubt he'll do time - probably suspended sentence and fine if found guilty.

The amount owed is so small in relative terms you wonder why he hasn't just held his hands up and paid it, especially when the legal fees will probably be far more than the unpaid tax and fine may be. Just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. Wonder if there is more going on?

I do wonder if Levy would sack him if found guilty. Could he do that? I mean under what grounds? Bringing club in to disrepute?

More importantly will it affect the team at all if Harry isn't around for a few weeks?

Also his health would be a factor for no short term in prison?

If Lohan can get away with it so can he. But surely this will put England off him for good.

If he is found guilty I doubt the F.A. will touch him... between that and his ticker.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up retiring next summer - he could then go and work for Sky Sports full time in a studio, not through a car window

Sibs said:
From what has ben said on Twitter by a few journo's a lot more is known that can actually be reported on. Someone said earlier that they were 'finally' allowed to report that it would go to trial.

I doubt he'll do time - probably suspended sentence and fine if found guilty.

The amount owed is so small in relative terms you wonder why he hasn't just held his hands up and paid it, especially when the legal fees will probably be far more than the unpaid tax and fine may be. Just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. Wonder if there is more going on?

I do wonder if Levy would sack him if found guilty. Could he do that? I mean under what grounds? Bringing club in to disrepute?

More importantly will it affect the team at all if Harry isn't around for a few weeks?

I'd say there's a standard clause in his contract of employment that states it's a disciplinary offence if he's found guilty of a criminal offence. Disciplinary offence can then be dealt with in a number of different ways. Including sacking.

I thought we've known this for ages.

He was charged way back in January 2010 and lost his attempt to challenge those charges back in March 2011. Ever since then, a trial was inevitable.

It was actually initially meant to go to court this summer - that was the whole reason why Harry went to South Africa late. For whatever reason, it got postponed, but we always knew that it would go to court eventually.

If I'm honest, it only makes his achievements at Spurs all the more admirable in my eyes. The pressure he was under this summer, the Modric saga, his health, the court case and yet he has still been fully committed to Spurs. I know some people don't seem to see that commitment, but I don't understand that personally.

Sibs said:

It ain't as simple as that tho, Sibs. This isn't just money owed, it is fraud & It's pretty serious. The HMRC aren't just saying "oh go on, pay us the money & we'll forget about it", when they get an inkling that someone is trying to stitch them up, they go all out.

I accidently made my tax payment of just a few hundred pounds late 1 year by just 1 week and you should've read the letter they sent me!! They talked to me like I was a criminal and it was a pretty minor error really. They wack on HUGE interest too, especially when they think you've been fiddling the books.

It is not too dissimilar to what Lester Piggott did way back in the 80's, and he went down for 3 years!! It was for MUCH more money in his case tho!

he WILL be found guilty. HMRC don't go this far unless they're very, very confident of a conviction but what the sentence will be is another matter. Personally I think he'll be given a slap on the wrists because it's his first offence (I presume) and a suspended sentence. After that it'll be up to Levy what he wants to do but as has already been said I'm guessing ALL employees of a PLC will have something in their contract stating if you get into trouble with the law you can be fucked with no recriminations on the company.

If he gets sent down then I would think that the club has grounds to sack him, however the issue will be if he's found guilty but not sent down...

I would imagine that as this was hanging around even back when we hired him that Levy will have asked for assurances that he's all above board etc on this but if he's turned out to lie to him then I suppose that's grounds for sacking. I just hope he's got Ancelotti on speed dial...

Just to echo what a couple of others have said, HMRC wouldn't spend this much time or money if they didn't have a very good case. They are relentless and as an accountant who knows a (very little) bit about tax if there are one set of people you don't want to p*ss off it's them. They don't give up until they've got their money (plus fees, and interest) and, if we're honest, nor should they as technically it's public money for you and I.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's a bit odd nothing has been reported on Peter Storrie about this? As he was also implicated and if he's pleaded or been found guilty then this wouldn't be reported (as with the cricket spot-fixing trial recently) as it prejudices the trial of the other parties.

I always thought that Levy offered Harry the job on the grounds that he was innocent? and if found guilty his contract would be terminated?

Also I reckon if found guilty they'll give him a suspended sentect and slap a community order on him. Max community payback hours is 350 so you might see Harry painting fences or working in his local oxfam!

if he's found guilty he WILL be asked to leave the club. There's no way any PLC would have a criminal, especially of this type, working in such a high profile position. If you want Harry to remain I'd suggest you pray for a lenient or drunk judge.

Back
Top Bottom