Harry's Sun column

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the risk of starting yet another harry thread...

Has anyone read Harry's column today? Its brillinatly worded if you want to get people on his side...he basically blows his own trumpet - as you would do but something popped out at me.

He said he brought the laughter back to Spurs and the trinanig ground and its something that is understimated. he said he made the club accessible to fans where fans could come and watch training and what not.

Then he said "I done the same at West Ham, when I left the Hammers they closed the gates and said they wanted to make it more professional - what happened? They got relelgated"

I wonder if that had something to do with Levy/The Boards thinking?

I've heard they wanted someone younger at the helm for the forseeable and that Harry spent too much money - which is worrying if true...

yeh if harry spent too much money whats the next manager going to get 50p and a packet of Strawberry laces :nare:

Yea I know the money thing is odd. Unless they are thinking about the new stadium etc...

Either way, the professionalism thing made me wonder what with the new training ground and all.

Levy has to sanction the spend. The manager can't spend too much because it's up to the board. Everything goes through them. It's up to them how much is spent.

Also, I was under the impression that Levy has had a huge say in transfers and has sometimes sanctioned them over the manager's head. Rafa?

Dru said:
I've heard they wanted someone younger at the helm for the forseeable and that Harry spent too much money - which is worrying if true...

Too much money? How many bacon sarnies can one man eat? Unless the club were paying his petrol costs to Sandbanks and back every day!

He said he brought the laughter back to Spurs and the trinanig ground and its something that is underestimated

Well everyone seems to be laughing at us right now, so maybe he has a point!!

indianspur said:
the wage bill has rocketed hasnt it

younger players, lower wages is where its at for Levy and co...Redknapp never bought into that philosophy

I think that was the point,

Saying that, its only gossip I'd heard from my boss and he has told me a few things before they hit the papers before.

Could we pin the wage bill on Redknapp either though? I would imagine all of the contracts would go through Levy. It just seems a reflection on the changing quality of players at the club in the last four years.

Raitei said:
Could we pin the wage bill on Redknapp either though? I would imagine all of the contracts would go through Levy. It just seems a reflection on the changing quality of players at the club in the last four years.

To be fair... "Daniel deals with all of that" ...probably the truest thing Harry ever said while he was here... besides, Harry can't reed or right (sic) he's be useless deciphering wordy contracts!!!

the wage bill is at around 56% of t/o at the moment, compared to around 50% before he arrived. (approx - from memory)

not sure if that's much of a big deal tbh considering our improvement

Yeah, you just have to look at the players we have. New deals for Bale and Modric would have put them on more money, VdV won't be cheap. Ade neither.

Don't forget Livermore and especially Kyle's new deals, Gallas aint cheap either although he was a mentallity signing we needed

Kalyl said:
Don't forget Livermore and especially Kyle's new deals, Gallas aint cheap either although he was a mentallity signing we needed

I think this is what pisses Levy and the board off. Arry signed a lot of players based on mentality over ability and profitability. Then a lot of them end up injured or deadwood on a high wage bill with no desire to prove themselves fit for every game or inspire a move.

indeed completely agree Hyndzee, however I feel Gallas was one of them we actually needed, looked a right BOSS when he plays. we've been missing some1 who takes our players by the neck and tells em wtf to do and when they've done something wrong so they don't do it again, and I feel he's done that and might even be able to teach Kab to do it

Kalyl said:
indeed completely agree Hyndzee, however I feel Gallas was one of them we actually needed, looked a right BOSS when he plays. we've been missing some1 who takes our players by the neck and tells em wtf to do and when they've done something wrong so they don't do it again, and I feel he's done that and might even be able to teach Kab to do it

Hmm you do have a good point about teaching Kaboul, but from Levy's position that is a coaching role. A player is bought to play, and frankly, a lot of our players on high wages don't play enough to have the contracts they have.

If it was just one player it would probably be fine, but having the likes of King, Gallas, Nelson, and Dawson all either crocked or injured when the likes of Caulker are on loan playing every single game for significantly less wages just doesn't make sense.

when I say coaching, I mean it as a mentorship sort of way, which is probably often done with younger players to give them rolemodels etc.

YES most definetly! so silly having four, five CB's that's all inj prone! Kab isn't exactly injury proof either! However, the problem I feel is that we didn't have a clause in Caulker's contract to be able to recall him on a moments notice should we need it. I think we should do that next season if we get Beryl and Dawson is back to fitness if both King and Gallas stays, even if only one of the two stays it might be the better option, although I would love for King to mentor Caulker BEFORE he retires to become our defensive coach

Kalyl said:
when I say coaching, I mean it as a mentorship sort of way, which is probably often done with younger players to give them rolemodels etc.

YES most definetly! so silly having four, five CB's that's all inj prone! Kab isn't exactly injury proof either! However, the problem I feel is that we didn't have a clause in Caulker's contract to be able to recall him on a moments notice should we need it. I think we should do that next season if we get Beryl and Dawson is back to fitness if both King and Gallas stays, even if only one of the two stays it might be the better option, although I would love for King to mentor Caulker BEFORE he retires to become our defensive coach

Yeah I understand your point about coaching whilst on the pitch, and it is evident whilst watching a game up close, but it honestly is pointless if the player in the mentor role plays one week and physically can't play another (sorry Ledley, I love you really and you can do whatever you want). It might quick fix one or two results but it is ultimately detrimental as it prevents other potential players developing a partnership or leadership role. Furthermore, if you do rely on Gallas, or King to be the leadership role and the next match they turn up burnt out or don't turn up at all, no one else assumes the leadership position because they don't actually learn it off that player. What really happens is because they have relied on that player beside them they actually tend to fuck up more when they are gone.

If you look at Chelski's defence for example, it is always their leader (the racist) that generally automatically starts and then one other player who comes in alongside him. With Spurs, it is always the less experienced player that automatically starts (Kaboul) and then whoever is older that is over 50% fit can be chucked in to tell them what to do. What that actually does is it now makes Kaboul the more experienced player despite him being younger because he is the only one that consistently has an experience of a partnership with one of the more crocked older guys that will randomly appear beside him. He doesn't actually rely on "Gallas", or "King", per se - he just relies on that kind of playing style and "leadership figure" alongside him. But the key thing here is if Gallas and King ever left for a significant period of time, he'd be forced to eventually learn to assume their leadership roles because the new player alongside him would consistently be at the same level of less experience than him and need telling what to do like he needed in the past.

That player alongside him could have been Khumalo, Bassong, Caulker etc. - but then you are going to say, well hold on... they are shit (or unknown). But the fact is Kaboul was also shit before he was given game time and told he could do it and no one knew Ledley before he was chucked in the deep end. It's the same with any player that has broken through lately in other positions; Walker, Bale etc. There really is no point in players being bought or kept on high wages if they aren't going to play.

Ultimately players learn from playing and making mistakes more than anything... If they are good enough, it doesn't matter what age they are, they will eventually swim given a run of games and a bit of confidence from the manager. If they aren't good enough to play a run of games, young or old, then why were they even bought in the first place by the manager and what are they doing in the squad? That's what pisses off a board more than anything. Why even bother having a promising young player and then choose not to play them? And why buy an older player that physically isn't up to the demand of playing but on higher wages?

Yet somehow we're still always down to our "bare bones" more so than other teams at the business end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom