Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You mean ten games?

In the 18/19 season he was rarely available for games; with a Hamstring issue keeping him out for the first half of the season, and the thigh issue the 2nd.

18/19Fractured HandApr 10, 2019Apr 15, 20195 days1Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Thigh Muscle StrainJan 20, 2019Mar 9, 201948 days12Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjuryDec 24, 2018Dec 28, 20184 days1Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjurySep 28, 2018Oct 29, 201831 days6Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjurySep 8, 2018Sep 22, 201814 days3Tottenham Hotspur
18/19StrainJul 4, 2018Jul 6, 20182 days

Oh, and he still managed 7 goals, and 8 assists in the limited game time he had.

Oh, and 2 of those assists got us into the Champions League final.

In the 18/19 season he was rarely available for games; with a Hamstring issue keeping him out for the first half of the season, and the thigh issue the 2nd.

18/19Fractured HandApr 10, 2019Apr 15, 20195 days1Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Thigh Muscle StrainJan 20, 2019Mar 9, 201948 days12Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjuryDec 24, 2018Dec 28, 20184 days1Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjurySep 28, 2018Oct 29, 201831 days6Tottenham Hotspur
18/19Hamstring InjurySep 8, 2018Sep 22, 201814 days3Tottenham Hotspur
18/19StrainJul 4, 2018Jul 6, 20182 days

Oh, and he still managed 7 goals, and 8 assists in the limited game time he had.

Oh, and 2 of those assists got us into the Champions League final.
So not half a season then..as in played in 38 games in all competitions and 25 PL games

So not half a season then..as in played in 38 games in all competitions and 25 PL games

That is a rather misleading assessment. Due to the injuries his season was start/stop and he only enjoyed a run of more than 4 games once (Nov/Dec)

Of those 25 PL games, 5 were as a Sub in the final part of the game, and 3 he was withdrawn through injury.

That is a rather misleading assessment. Due to the injuries his season was start/stop and he only enjoyed a run of more than 4 games once (Nov/Dec)

Of those 25 PL games, 5 were as a Sub in the final part of the game, and 3 he was withdrawn through injury.
Played 90 minutes 19 times and over 80 minutes ten times

Nothing misleading whatsoever

I have a feeling Winks is going to surprise a few people. I don't think anyone could argue with the fact he's been playing poorly for a long time, but so have most of the rest of the team—the CL run aside, we were almost relegation material under Pochettino from the second half of 18/19 into the first half of 19/20. Mourinho and Nuno didn't do anything for anyone.

I think Winks will respond well to Conte's discipline and patterns. He'll never be spectacular and there will always be aspects of his game that will frustrate, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his performances improve dramatically once he's had a run of games in a team that is coached to win rather than to avoid losing.

Winks is a player that is suited to possession based football. Hence under Poch, he looked good.

However, when our squads fitness fell off a cliff, we could no longer see out games and Poch reverted to defensive tactics - which backfired badly and cost him his job.

In comes Mourinho and Nuno who again, seeing how unfit our squad is, prefer to surrender the ball and punish mistakes by the other team.

If Conte can get our squad to give 100% for 90 minutes, I expect we will see Winks as a regular. Maybe not in the starting 11, but for sure the last 30 if we are a goal or 2 up.

He didn't look good under Poch.
People were, as always, blinded by the fact he was an academy player.
Go back and watch what he actually did. Ignore the score of thee game and watch what he actually did.
He passes to the nearest person as quickly as he can. Usually sideways or backwards.

It's easy to think someone played well when the whole team did and we smashed Real at home for example. But when you lose a game, you start looking at why you lost and who was the problem. That's when he started getting found out.

Go back and watch what he actually did. Ignore the score of thee game and watch what he actually did.
He passes to the nearest person as quickly as he can. Usually sideways or backwards.

It's easy to think someone played well when the whole team did and we smashed Real at home for example. But when you lose a game, you start looking at why you lost and who was the problem. That's when he started getting found out.
His form over the last few seasons has been generally poor—I don't think anyone would dispute this—but, in my view, it's revisionist to suggest our perceptions of him under Poch were skewed by his having come through the academy.

He was routinely solid, neat, tidy and, occasionally, creative; unglamorous, for sure, but absolutely an asset. So much so that Southgate once talked about building the England team around him.

It might surprise you to learn that out of Winks, Son, Kane, Davies, Dier, Verts, Eriksen and Dembele, Winks has the highest win percentage of games played in a Spurs shirt (with Dier, another oft-vilified player just being pipped to 2nd by Verts).

I think it's revisionism to claim he was once better. He wasn't. He just wasn't exposed because he had 5-7 really good, in form players around him.
I have been making the same comments about him for years, going right back into the Poch era.
Basic footballer. Short, easy passes, rarely shows for the ball in tricky situations, not great at tackling, not great at creating or scoring, doesn't win many headers, isn't particularly quick or strong.

What is he?

I think it's revisionism to claim he was once better. He wasn't. He just wasn't exposed because he had 5-7 really good, in form players around him.
I have been making the same comments about him for years, going right back into the Poch era.
Basic footballer. Short, easy passes, rarely shows for the ball in tricky situations, not great at tackling, not great at creating or scoring, doesn't win many headers, isn't particularly quick or strong.

What is he?
Ultimately, it's all a matter of opinion. I disagree with your overall characterisation of him, but I respect your view.

Maybe you're right—maybe he'll struggle to regain the form (I believe) he had and be moved on at the earliest opportunity. But, I do feel Conte's approach will suit him.

Ultimately, it's all a matter of opinion. I disagree with your overall characterisation of him, but I respect your view.

Maybe you're right—maybe he'll struggle to regain the form (I believe) he had and be moved on at the earliest opportunity. But, I do feel Conte's approach will suit him.

I applaud your diplomacy. Something sadly missing on this forum too often

No - sorry, he did look good in Poch's team, until he had the ankle injury. I like the fact that he came through the ranks and is a Spurs fan to boot, but I wouldn't stand by him if he wasn't good enough to wear the shirt. Not that my opinion carries much weight in first team selection.

So in fact he looked so good that he started to get selected for England - and I don't buy the theory that the national team selection isn't a barometer.

Two managers with a good reputations are unlikely to be so wrong - and the morons that post on here about him being a mid table second tier player at best just show the profound level of their ignorance.

Its moot anyway, Conte will play him if he's good enough, and he will drop him if he fails to meet his metrics. What we think is just hot air

In the Conte era:

Points per game when Winks play: 3

Points per game when Winks doesn’t play: 0.5

It’s undeniable :troll:

Jesus Christ Animation GIF
Jesus Christ Wow GIF by Catholic Connect

London Football GIF by Tottenham Hotspur

For quite a long time something has been bothering me about Winks, but I could not put it into words.

But recently I have figured out what it was: he kills forward progression of the ball both directly and indirectly.

In other words, try and notice his passing: most of it is sideways or backwards (directly), however when he does pass forward that recipient will need to pas backwards himself or lose the ball (indirectly), and this happens a staggering amount of times (‘always’)…

Once you notice it, you pretty much can’t unsee it. So if any of you spot this as well during future matches, let me know. Curious to see if I’m getting biased or really did spot a serious flaw.

For quite a long time something has been bothering me about Winks, but I could not put it into words.

But recently I have figured out what it was: he kills forward progression of the ball both directly and indirectly.

In other words, try and notice his passing: most of it is sideways or backwards (directly), however when he does pass forward that recipient will need to pas backwards himself or lose the ball (indirectly), and this happens a staggering amount of times (‘always’)…

Once you notice it, you pretty much can’t unsee it. So if any of you spot this as well during future matches, let me know. Curious to see if I’m getting biased or really did spot a serious flaw.
Eriksen was the reverse of this brilliant forward passing into the stride of the recipient.

Back
Top Bottom