Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Story was that Paul Ince used to insist on being called the Guv'ner when he were still a player

I've always felt Gerrard made up his own. Stevie G doesn't sound like a nickname he would be given. Other footballers would have called him Gerro or something.

Well last night showed what a striker we have. Fucking world class. Vardy put in probably the worst performance I have seen in a long while. What a waste of space.

Well last night showed what a striker we have. Fucking world class. Vardy put in probably the worst performance I have seen in a long while. What a waste of space.

That's 3 successive appearances where Vardy has appeared useless in this system.

Unless it's alongside Kane as a late sub, he's useless to us.

It's a hard position to fill though, especially in the system England play.

You need your striker to not only be a target man but able to drop deep and cause problems from a deeper position. Kane does this perfectly. It provides space then for Dele, Sterling and Lingard.

Vardy just doesn't do that - he's a different player. Vardy should really only ever be played in Sterlings position. Alongside Kane and using his pace to run into the space that Kane creates.

There isn't anyone else like Kane so rotating will always be tough unless we change system to suit.

I don't think Vardy is bad at all - he was just completely inappropriate for starting last night against Belgium. He'd be lethal if we're a goal up and can counterattack the opposition, but alongside Rashford was a poor choice of line-up - no one to hold the ball up.

So I actually feel a little sorry for him. Made to look worse by being in a rotated starting XI that was basically set up to lose.

I don't think Vardy is bad at all - he was just completely inappropriate for starting last night against Belgium. He'd be lethal if we're a goal up and can counterattack the opposition, but alongside Rashford was a poor choice of line-up - no one to hold the ball up.

So I actually feel a little sorry for him. Made to look worse by being in a rotated starting XI that was basically set up to lose.
I felt that about Dier

He might be a decent player, and have been put in a bad situation... But he's still a rat faced cunt.

Part of the problem is that the whole style of the team changes when he plays (or at least it did yesterday, with the other changes). The clever interchanging of position, an English variant on the Spanish passing game, goes out of the window and it all becomes about trying to hit long balls over the top to him. Belgium dealt with it really easily, tho it might be a different story if we were playing against a tiring team

Part of the problem is that the whole style of the team changes when he plays (or at least it did yesterday, with the other changes). The clever interchanging of position, an English variant on the Spanish passing game, goes out of the window and it all becomes about trying to hit long balls over the top to him. Belgium dealt with it really easily, tho it might be a different story if we were playing against a tiring team
I only want to see Vardy when we're two goals up in the last 20 minutes.

If he starts any knockout game then something has gone badly wrong. Blinder by Southgate though - he gets to pick Kane, Trippier, Henderson, Lingard etc in the next starting XI and only needs to point to the Belgium game for justification in doing so. I don't buy that the England team has 'lost momentum' either as the last proper game for the majority of the starting XI was against Panama.

Also, I like Rashford but think it showed he's best utilised as a substitute at the moment. Though perhaps he'd be better with Kane, Lingard, et al starting alongside him.

I only want to see Vardy when we're two goals up in the last 20 minutes.

If he starts any knockout game then something has gone badly wrong. Blinder by Southgate though - he gets to pick Kane, Trippier, Henderson, Lingard etc in the next starting XI and only needs to point to the Belgium game for justification in doing so. I don't buy that the England team has 'lost momentum' either as the last proper game for the majority of the starting XI was against Panama.

Also, I like Rashford but think it showed he's best utilised as a substitute at the moment. Though perhaps he'd be better with Kane, Lingard, et al starting alongside him.
I'm perfectly happy to go into the Colombia game with the Tunisia line up, or RLC if Dele's still not fit (if he is he has to start I think). Maybe Danny in place of Young, but I don't think that's crucial. Henderson has clearly won the right to start as the nearest thing we have to Pirlo or Xavi, which has surprised me, most Spurs' fans too I would imagine. I thought he was excellent in the first two games, first time I've ever said that (also the equally surprised view of two United fans, a Fulham fan and a Boro fan)

Last edited:
Just seen this car crash. The replies. :pochfacepalm:

Jesus. They really do live in an alternate reality don't they? I can understand the dislike that Dele gets. I get it. He dishes it out so should expect it back. However, Harry is one of the best pros in the business. Does his job, is always polite in the press and is a damn fine role-model for the kids, as they say. What is there to hate? Oh, he was tripped up at Anfield and got a penalty for it. Whoop-de-doo. :kaneshh:

Jesus. They really do live in an alternate reality don't they? I can understand the dislike that Dele gets. I get it. He dishes it out so should expect it back. However, Harry is one of the best pros in the business. Does his job, is always polite in the press and is a damn fine role-model for the kids, as they say. What is there to hate? Oh, he was tripped up at Anfield and got a penalty for it. Whoop-de-doo. :kaneshh:

Even West Ham fans acknowledge this...This all you need to know

Even West Ham fans acknowledge this...This all you need to know
My neighbour is one of his biggest fans. Won’t have a bad word said about Kane by anyone. His standard question to anyone who says a bad word is “how fucking long have you been watching football you mug?”
And anyone who takes the piss out of Harry’s speech gets a proper mauling. Actually, he’s turned out alright as a neighbour considering his allegiances.
:kanehand:

Back
Top Bottom