Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
This is a question that should be answered around Christmas, when we are down to the bare bones, Harry Kane is leading our line against the top 4 and vert and Lloris are sending out come and get me messages.

I'm far from one of these people who think we should throw money around left right and centre but I'm one of the people who can see we needed a decent striker.

If football is about making a profit then I give up.

We were top 4 contenders but I'd be amazed if we are in the running with 10 games to go..

This is a question that should be answered around Christmas, when we are down to the bare bones, Harry Kane is leading our line against the top 4 and vert and Lloris are sending out come and get me messages.

I'm far from one of these people who think we should throw money around left right and centre but I'm one of the people who can see we needed a decent striker.

We were top 4 contenders but I'd be amazed if we are in the running with 10 games to go..

Whos to say that the team havent responded well to the new management, and we are getting more goals from midfield, Soldado has hit some form and we dont have a huge injury problem?

We can all predict what we want really? I could just as well say, "what if we spend big money again on another big name striker and he scores two goals from open play and has six shots on target all season"

Not impossible is it...

Excellent said!!!

You have to find a middle way between Man City/Chelsea and Pompey/Leeds, if you want to challenge you self and others and improve. If you want to make money in football you have to spend some.

If you are content with were you are, you will never get better.

Last edited:
Do you believe that we don't have any more money to spend?

I believe we are under a strict budget regarding the training ground and stadium that will benefit us in the long term.

I fully support the clubs policy this window and would have been far more dissapointed if we spent 27 million on Scniederlin and 16M on Welbeck (I wanted Welbeck but on loan with an option)

I believe our policy of buying unknowns and turning them into 30-70M pound players will pay off soon, and one day we wont need to sell them on, we will be able to build around them.

Its a bumpy road, but one Id take everyday of the week over the one Chelsea, Utd and City have taken.

You have to find a middle way between Man City/Chelsea and Pompey/Leeds,
Er, we have - it's called Spurs.

Man City/Chelsea - rich owners spending at will. Not us
Pompey/Leeds - not so rich owners spending at will. Not us.

Spurs. Rich owners spending what the club can afford, not what they can afford.

Er, we have - it's called Spurs.

Man City/Chelsea - rich owners spending at will. Not us
Pompey/Leeds - not so rich owners spending at will. Not us.

Spurs. Rich owners spending what the club can afford, not what they can afford.

I am not saying that I want spurs to spend a lot more money. I was just agreeing to what was said about that we should have bought a new striker, witch we CAN afford.

Maybe (and sensibly) we want to see if Rodriguez will actually walk again this year before buying him.....

I would like to have seen us go for Rodriguez in this window. I would have been ok with swapping Townsend for purposes of the bottom line, since I don't see him improving the first XI. The obvious counterargument is the risk associated with JRod's knee injury, and it is certainly a valid argument. But in response, we are never going to outspend the clubs currently above us so I think we occasionally have to roll the dice to stay competitive with them. If we wait until January to confirm that Rodriguez is healthy and productive we will only get outbid for him.

I think this window was our best opportunity to reunite Poch with a versatile English player that could have addressed any potential problems emerging at striker or LW this fall. Like I said, roll the dice. It's just a game.

I am not saying that I want spurs to spend a lot more money. I was just agreeing to what was said about that we should have bought a new striker, witch we CAN afford.
But you do want us to spend more. We are 5th highest spenders over the past 5 years. How much more do you want us to spend? Forget net spend, we have bought a lot of players and spent a lot of money over the past few years. We have a £26m striker that we are yet to get the best from, and we should give him more than a season to prove we can do so. We also have Ade who is superb on his day and Kane, who showed at the end of last season he is improving.

We play one up top. How many strikers do you want? How would we keep them all happy?

We've played 3 games and you are adamant (I gather from your forum name) that we need another striker. I'd be interested to know who you'd have bid for?

I think we do need ENIC...I believe they are a big plus in our sponsership negotiations and things like the new training centre etc......

Just because they dont lavish us with 250K a week players doesnt mean they are useless.

But all you hear from other chairmen is how levy pisses them off & changes agreements.

I think I'm right in saying that enic have spent £36m over a 12 year tenure of their own £ the rest is self generated. Plans for the stadium are changed as are contractors.

I don't agree that anyone is worth £250,000 a week , we have sky & suchlike to blame for that, that's 100% not ENIC's fault. But a expenditure of £36m for a return of 20 fold is utter greed. He wanted too much from abromovich I believe . We have been seeking sponsors & investors in the new stadium for donkey's years .

I'll leave it here for now Sammy ( May chip in later) but I enjoyed the debate. :adethumbup:

Last edited:
As with all 'polls' of this volition. The question and potential answers are so heavily tilted it renders it redundant, a simple yes / no would have more validation.

The fact is that this is real life, not football evolution fifa manager pro sports 2015 or what ever the bollocks incarnation is.

Nobody knows a) what the plan was for this window, b) who the targets were, c) what the long term objectives are of the club and d) who would actually have come to the club at this point in time.

I'm getting a deja vu here, but at the risk of repeating myself, there may be targets that it is better to wait a season for before committing to or taking a gamble on. Buying any new player is a risk, and the issue of quantum now is such that it can be a very costly risk. Therein lies the catch. everyone would love us to have four world class strikers, midfield gods and a back line that would make most forwards weep. Fact is who is going to pay for it, why would they chose us over an oligarch club?

I find it odd that the same fans who want us to 'show ambition' tend to be the first to criticize a player as 'not worth the money' if he doesn't work out.

Just remember that for every Berbatov there is a Bent, and for every Bale there is a Real Madrid.

I now just want to play the original fifa soccer on a sega megadrive. prob because I've just come from the old gits thread.

Whos to say that the team havent responded well to the new management, and we are getting more goals from midfield, Soldado has hit some form and we dont have a huge injury problem?

We can all predict what we want really? I could just as well say, "what if we spend big money again on another big name striker and he scores two goals from open play and has six shots on target all season"

Not impossible is it...

Yes we can all guess, but do you seriously think that we have sufficient front players, with Ade going to the ACON and us playing in the Europa league, league cup, FA cup and the premier league???
Let's say Ade has gone and either Soldado or Kane gets injured.. That would mean we have to rely on either Sodado or Kane playing Thursday /Sunday plus league cup, plus FA cup games..
We have to play Harry Kane on a Thursday in the Instanbul on a Thursday then play him away to Man City on a Sunday...
Ideal????? No it's not, it's irresponsible and plain stupid.
You have to plan for injuries and we haven't..

Someone like Bony, Remy, Rodriguez or Benteke, would have sorted out any problems like that and wouldn't have broken the bank, we would have signed a good, proven premier league forward and still spent less than cash strapped embarrassment, west ham..

Last edited:
But you do want us to spend more. We are 5th highest spenders over the past 5 years. How much more do you want us to spend? Forget net spend, we have bought a lot of players and spent a lot of money over the past few years. We have a £26m striker that we are yet to get the best from, and we should give him more than a season to prove we can do so. We also have Ade who is superb on his day and Kane, who showed at the end of last season he is improving.

We play one up top. How many strikers do you want? How would we keep them all happy?

We've played 3 games and you are adamant (I gather from your forum name) that we need another striker. I'd be interested to know who you'd have bid for?

We spend a lot because we enjoy swapping out our midfield players every two years or so.

I am one of those who never had any believe I Soldados capabilities and I am still not convinced that he is the man that will suddenly score 20+(imagine that). He is just not that good. He is incapable to create anything on his own.

This means that Ade don't have any competition up front, and we all know what that means.. (he WILL switch of)

Harry can develop in to a good player, but he is not a top class striker yet.

I would have started the search for a striker already in July. As I said before I don't think we have had a decent striker in 6 years. I think Bony, Negredo, Remy, Wellbeck, Hernandez, Benteke, Lukaku, Huntelar, Mario Gomez and even Ba...

We spend a lot because we enjoy swapping out our midfield players every two years or so.

I am one of those who never had any believe I Soldados capabilities and I am still not convinced that he is the man that will suddenly score 20+(imagine that). He is just not that good. He is incapable to create anything on his own.

This means that Ade don't have any competition up front, and we all know what that means.. (he WILL switch of)

I would have started the search for a striker already in July. As I said before I don't think we have had a decent striker in 6 years. I think Bony, Negredo, Remy, Wellbeck, Hernandez, Benteke, Lukaku, Huntelar, Mario Gomez and even Ba...
wellbeck? ha ha ha ha ha ha

Kinda shot your self in the foot with that one, 29 goals in 142 appearances in last three and a bit seasons.

At least Soldado HAS scored twenty goals a season (albeit in a different league but still 81 in 141 says he's better than wellbeck in my book)

wellbeck? ha ha ha ha ha ha

Kinda shot your self in the foot with that one, 29 goals in 142 appearances in last three and a bit seasons.

At least Soldado HAS scored twenty goals a season (albeit in a different league but still 81 in 141 says he's better than wellbeck in my book)

He is 23 and has 142 caps in the best league in the world. Sorry to say, but he will start to score when he is used as a regular.

I would have started the search for a striker already in July. As I said before I don't think we have had a decent striker in 6 years. I think Bony, Negredo, Remy, Wellbeck, Hernandez, Benteke, Lukaku, Huntelaar, Mario Gomez and even Ba...
None of those would work better up top in our current set up, and I have my doubts about Rémy as well at a big club.

The grass is always greener. Everyone has better strikers than us. You never had belief in Soldado's abilities? When he was banging them in for fun in La Liga because they played to his strengths. How can you not have belief in a player that has succeeded?

Our 'ambition' as a club is funding the new stadium. That's a lot of dinero. We will be tightening the belt for a while to come, but we are still competing and probably field a more balanced squad than last season despite spending effectively nothing.

Levy is a great businessman. He has his faults, but we have a good overall squad this season IMO.

None of those would work better up top in our current set up, and I have my doubts about Rémy as well at a big club.

The grass is always greener. Everyone has better strikers than us. You never had belief in Soldado's abilities? When he was banging them in for fun in La Liga because they played to his strengths. How can you not have belief in a player that has succeeded?
Because La liga is clearly shit as well, prem league is best in world innit.
nufink would be better than taking a chance on a striker who is experienced at not scoring many goals in the best league in the world is there (even if we duz already have one of them who is at the club and cost nuffink). :chadliwtf::soldadowtf::pochsmirk:

Back
Top Bottom