Greatest ever foreign signing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our Greatest Foreign Import

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely Ardiles.

Transformed our team when he and Ricky joined.

All through the Falklands they stayed loyal.
Manager as well, best not to mention that though.

No one comes close imo.

Last edited:
I think Son needs a trophy before he can surpass David Ginola. Ossie was a good servant to the club as well as a great player but I don't think he carried us to glory in 1981 in the same way that Ginola did in 1999. The 81 team was full of match winners. Without Ginola, the 99 team was pretty much the team we had under Gerry Francis before Ginola came minus Sheringham.

It's possible that I'm a little biased because I'm not old enough to remember Ossie and Ricky. The 81 final happened 3 months before I was born and most of what I know about that time is from old matches I've watched and books/programmes I've read.

Son has the potential to do something great for our club. With Kane as good as gone, Son is our star man and I think he will thrive in that role.
The reason the people who were around have voted for Ossie, is because he joined us after we had been promoted and we needed someone to put us back on the map, so to speak. He was a WC winner, and at the time, they were as rare as hens' teeth. He also was the perfect partner for the blossoming Hoddle. I don't think it can be overestimated how much Ossie's influence had on the success of that team.

I'd vote Ardiles first and then Ricky Villa as runner up, for the sheer impact they had on the club, the history they played a part in creating, how exciting it must have been to sign Argentinian World Cup winners when foreign players were still rare, and of course the cups they were involved in winning.

The reason the people who were around have voted for Ossie, is because he joined us after we had been promoted and we needed someone to put us back on the map, so to speak. He was a WC winner, and at the time, they were as rare as hens' teeth. He also was the perfect partner for the blossoming Hoddle. I don't think it can be overestimated how much Ossie's influence had on the success of that team.
It's interesting - Ossie was a touch before my time, and stats weren't really a thing back then (and it was a different game) so it's difficult to compare, I just grew up with him known as a legend. Found this though:

Man could place a ball.

That and his appearance with Chas & Dave and in Escape to Victory surely makes him unsurmountable in this list.

1. Ossie Ardiles
2. Son Heung Min
3. David Ginola

Sonny just needs to get himself in Fast & Furious 10 or something

Dembele, Lloris, Vertonghen all in the same window for under £35m is one of our greatest windows and all foreign.

950 Spurs appearances between them and still counting!

He's not the greatest ever foreign signing, but if some of these other players deserve a place on the list then I think there needs to be a place for Noureddine Naybet, for the impact he had on the players around him at the time when the club was just starting to transition from the absolute shambles of the 90s to challenging for the top 4 on a regular basis

I like this shout..... Sometimes the deeper impact of a signing is extremely important.

Palacios was an awesome signing and added exactly what we needed at the time...... Sadly life conspired against him in the follow up seasons and it didn't last.

This has me thinking about the best ever non Spurs foreign player in England. For me it’s Cantona. Won the league at Leeds and then every year he played at United. From memory, the only year they didn’t win the league while he was there was the season he was banned for his Kung fu kick. He was a remarkable talent even if he was a little bit odd.

I'm too young to recognize the impact (although I do know the history) of some of these guys, but I can't think of a bigger coup for us than Lloris was, and he's lived up to every bit of the lofty expectations. He's gone through a few rough patches like every goalkeeper does, but he's been one of the best performers for us in every season he's been with us. He's also the captain and a model citizen and ambassador for the club.

Back
Top Bottom