Gomes - Waduya Reckon?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Burko said:
MKYid said:
Dru said:
They say top goalkeepers win you 10 points a season.

Gomes loses you points.

It doesnt really matter how many great shots he saves with amazing reflexes blah blah blah look good for the cameras blah blah.

He doesnt just make mistakes, he makes huge blunders which have an effect on the whole team not to mention the media who latch on to it.

Brad is clearly far more professional and while he may not light up the place with amazing saves, he is far more dependable, which, ultimately, as a goalkeeper, you have to be.

Of course it bloody does!! Every great shot he doesn't save is a goal against us!!!
This is my point really, Gomes will let in a few howlers that Friedel wont, but will save things that Friedel wont......

No way to know for sure who you'd be better off with really....

Either way we're screwed because of our horrendous bad luck, Gomes plays against us in a shoot-out, has a blinder, plays for us, dives the wrong way 5 times.

It's a decent argument... I guess Gomes is the GK equivalent of having Billy Wingrove playing up front for us... yes he can ball-juggle, scissor kick and freestyle all he wants, but if he can't do the one thing he needs to do; ie SCORE, then he's about as useful as keeping hold of a broken-down car just 'cos it's got a flashy spolier!

Doesnt it say everything that Gomes was spoken about as not the type of player you want coming off the bench?

Please everyone, look back to when he was throwing the ball in the net and remember how you felt.

If Harry handnt have gone and AVB hadnt have been linked, would we even be having this discussion?

Dru said:
If Harry handnt have gone and AVB hadnt have been linked, would we even be having this discussion?

Should've been having this discussion all along.

IMO Friedel as the starter, Gomes as backup or rotation for Europa/FA/League Cup Keeper. He's good enough to play in most European Leagues. Cudicini can be sold and that money put toward developing our younger goalies, Button seems to be coming along nicely in lower divisions.

Dru said:
MKYid said:
Dru said:
They say top goalkeepers win you 10 points a season.

Gomes loses you points.

It doesnt really matter how many great shots he saves with amazing reflexes blah blah blah look good for the cameras blah blah.

He doesnt just make mistakes, he makes huge blunders which have an effect on the whole team not to mention the media who latch on to it.

Brad is clearly far more professional and while he may not light up the place with amazing saves, he is far more dependable, which, ultimately, as a goalkeeper, you have to be.

Of course it bloody does!! Every great shot he doesn't save is a goal against us!!!

It doesnt matter when he makes a great save, then the very next thing he does is give away a penalty. Or drop the ball over the fucking line.
Thats his problem, he has made great saves but he has made just as many clangers.

The way I see it is, that's an exageration and one that many are inclined to perpetuate. Fact is, for the few 'clangers' he's had, he's made many more outstanding saves.

Dru said:
Doesnt it say everything that Gomes was spoken about as not the type of player you want coming off the bench?

Please everyone, look back to when he was throwing the ball in the net and remember how you felt.

This^

I dont get all this fond memories and nostalgia re gomes, he was half decent for one season out of four, he's fucking pony.

The amount of times ive watched us and come away feeling robbed because of that useless cunt

The argument of him potentially being this that and the other dont wash with me, its like saying humans use 10% of their brain, we could potentially use it all. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Dru said:

I rememeber how I felt when we were up against Woolwich and they got a free-kick late on...destined to equalise as they always do, Gomes superbly clawed away Van Persie's shot and we went on to win!

Dru said:

No, beacuse with Harry as manager it isn't even worth talking about anyone outside his prefered XI.

pallmallpunch said:
Dru said:

Should've been having this discussion all along.

IMO Friedel as the starter, Gomes as backup or rotation for Europa/FA/League Cup Keeper. He's good enough to play in most European Leagues. Cudicini can be sold and that money put toward developing our younger goalies, Button seems to be coming along nicely in lower divisions.

Problem is our own goalkeeping coach has said that Gomes is not the type of player you want on the bench - ie. his head isnt in the right place or however you want to say it.
Rediculous.

The trouble with Gomes is that I feel more confident if a shot is going into the top corner than directly at him.

And I would let him shag my wife still for the Woolwich game alone.

Belgian Spur said:
He needs to go , good reflexkeeper but you need your GK to be mentally stable and calm...

I always thought being mentally un-stable was generally a prerequisite of being a keeper!

In the 'Getting into the Champions League Season' he was a beast, love him, love his face, love his lanky arms, love his giant throws for no reason which always injure him, he is 31 now, and he is Brazilian. That means one of two things; 1: He will get fat, addicted to clubbing sleep with lady boys and do cocaine. 2: Go directly to 1, do not pass go, do not collect £200. :ap:
Or he could mature into a world class GK :baletroll:
I would have him i goals in a heartbeat. He is what watching Tottenham is about, reaching inconceivable highs followed instantly by numbing lows, all the time with a smile/grimace on your face :bae: :gomes:

MKYid said:
Belgian Spur said:
He needs to go , good reflexkeeper but you need your GK to be mentally stable and calm...

I always thought being mentally un-stable was generally a prerequisite of being a keeper!

No you have to be crazy that much is true to play a game called FOOTball and want to do it with your hands but you got to be the calm kind of crazy this man is

meanmach3.jpg

The problem with last season is that he wasn't even put on loan to gain confidence back. He was simply forgotten about.

He has let in less goals in a Premier League season than any other THFC goalkeeper ever. He is more of an asset to this club than Brad or Carlo.

Clean slate time.

Gomes still has a future at Spurs imo, one of the best keepers in the world on his day.
Not sure why he's still here though, I'd have thought Levy/arry would have sold him by now. A fairly expensive purchase who was not even sitting on the bench.
I heard his contract was due to run out this season, but we must have have taken the option to extend?

HyNdZee said:
The problem with last season is that he wasn't even put on loan to gain confidence back. He was simply forgotten about.

He has let in less goals in a Premier League season than any other THFC goalkeeper ever. He is more of an asset to this club than Brad or Carlo.

Clean slate time.

You can't argue with that, backed up by a good stat.

gomesp_247336.gif

Back
Top Bottom