Going for Second

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not true, IMO, automatic entry to the CL trumps qualifying riound by a lot IMO
the point i'm making is the reward for failure!... wasn't that long ago 3rd wouldn't guarantee you a
uefa cup spot & then it was on a knockout basis let alone entry into the money making process of the champions league.

dumbed down football for cash.
the football hasn't changed!.. everyone involved has just got a lot richer except the muggy fan who doesn't realise he's getting his arse ripped out!.

I know what you had in mind, but you either misdeclined a noun or misconjugated the verb. You want:

Canis Canem Edit

or

Canēs Canem Edunt (though "Canēs Canēs Edunt" works better?)

protectedimage.php

Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.

Just read this piece by American Spurs site Cartilage Free Captain.

Simply outstanding.

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/3/6/4070552/tottenham-hotspur-manchester-city

My only wish right now is that this article had been written a year ago, and that it was given to Redknapp.

About to be controversial here, so bring the neg rep if I deserve it:

Missing out on CL last year was a net gain for Tottenham Hotspur FC.
If Bayern win the CL Final and we make CL we keep Harry. No doubt.
And we never get AVB.

I don't think AVB is perfect, but who can deny the improved atmosphere and ambition we now have. Plus the long term plan.

Harry was never going to be here 10 more years. But AVB might. And this squad is hungry and young and improving. 2nd and 3rd and Champions are what we now believe possible. Not 4th and a CL Qualifying Match.

So, except for that small shite club with its small shite captain lifting the trophy, I'm warming up to all those nasty Germans missing their pens ...

:coys:

ps. fuck Hazard anyway. He's just a shit Lewis Holtby ...

If Bayern win the CL Final and we make CL we keep Harry. No doubt.
I'm not as sure about that. I felt like Harry was a dead man walking because of the tax issues and the England job. And even once those were gone, somehow I still felt the same way. Don't forget--he got us fourth, which under normal circumstances is CL-worthy. It's not his fault Chelsea won, so being let go for what happened in Munich seems a bit mental on Levy's part.

Harry had to go since I don't think he would have been able to lead us to being a persistent top 3 club (which AVB might be able to do). Frittering away third last season may have been his big crime--not because it cost us CL, but because it was such a ludicrous collapse.

I wonder if it was his stance in the contract talks that was the last straw for Levy. Not sure he was 100% a goner until then.

I wonder if it was his stance in the contract talks that was the last straw for Levy. Not sure he was 100% a goner until then.
He did seem to totally misjudge the situation and shoot himself in the foot. I too wonder whether Redknapp was a goner whatever happened in Munich. Having thrown away 3rd spot it was Redknapp that left us vulnerable in the first place.

Yup, silver linings in that result, for damn sure, but it still doesn't -- for me at least -- alleviate the pain of missing out on CL due to one our our greatest rivals exploiting loopholes and winning the CL because BOTH Lionel Messi AND Arjen Robben fluffed penalties in their games.

Why not aim for first? It's not like United is a shoe-in for the Barclay's league already. For all we know, they might slip-up again and the race will be wide open.

It's like in our club motto, Canes Canem Edit. To Dare Is To Do. If we don't aim high, we might as well forget about aiming for anything.
I like this guy, him and Carlito should get to know each other.

I'm not too sure, he could have done it for "contractual reasons" or some other reason.

This kind of thing is about PR as much as anything else. Good managers get the boot on the back of crowd unrest, bad managers keep getting jobs because they have a 'name'...

Harrys stock was high. We had just had a CL Qtr final, and went into the season looking for 4th. We got 4th. On the way we played some electric stuff.

Im not and wasnt a great Harry supporter, but getting sacked on the back of that AND re-qualifying for CL wouldnt have been possible IMHO.

Of course he publically courted England and let our domestic season collapse while basically throwing the Europa campaign... but none the less that season with CL qualification would have ticked enough boxes to keep support behind him.

As it was its hardly like AVB was especially well recieved is it?

Levy was playing with fire doing things as he did, with the scales tipped further in Harrys direction I dont think he could have made the same moves...

Levy was playing with fire doing things as he did, with the scales tipped further in Harrys direction I dont think he could have made the same moves...

Maybe, maybe not, I think there was a lot of ill feeling going on behind closed doors. His hand would certainly be stronger were we in the CL that's for sure.

Ive no doubt there was ill-feeling, Im certain Levy will have decided he wanted him out before the end of the season came - I just doubt that with CL qualification he would have been able to do it.

I think he would have let Harry continue, probably impede his moves in the summer knowing he had his reservations, wait until we started the season poorly/had a bad run and then sacked him when Redknapp was in a weakened position. Simultaneously fucking our season and leaving us in familiar territory.

Needless to say in the grander scheme of things Im glad with how things actually worked out

Back
Top Bottom