Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His volleyed goal against Bolton in the FA Cup (1978) sticks in my mind. I was sitting behind the goal in the Paxton Road End where he scored. Unfortunately, there seems to be no footage of the goal.
There's no tv coverage of that game. Still think it's the greatest goal of his (viewed from the shelf), but not a volley, more like the Watford chip but from a much more acute angle (ie close to the goal line). Some thought it a fluke, but this was God we're talking about.

And what a team we had then as well. King Clive,Waddle and Hoddle. Still my favourite Tottenham team. Still don’t know how we never won a cup that season.
Was at WHL for the league cup semi against Woolwich and the replay. We were so on top during these ties and just couldn’t kill them off the jammy gooner bastards. One of my darkest days supporting Spurs. But you are right- such a good side. Hoddle , Waddle, Ardiles, the Allens, Roberts, Gough and Clemence in goal. We were so attractive to watch that season

Was at WHL for the league cup semi against Woolwich and the replay. We were so on top during these ties and just couldn’t kill them off the jammy gooner bastards. One of my darkest days supporting Spurs. But you are right- such a good side. Hoddle , Waddle, Ardiles, the Allens, Roberts, Gough and Clemence in goal. We were so attractive to watch that season
I can't remember whether Clemence went to or came from 'pool....

Didn’t Paul Stewart miss a sitter at the Library?

Just over 20,000 there. Apathetic times as a fanbase - I don't think there was any rebuilding going on - our highest attendance was for the wham visit at just over 39,000 but most of the attendances were in the 20-30,000. Just over 16,000 for the visit of Leicester.
We had 40k+ v West Ham and Woolwich in the league cup to be fair. They were different times though. Heysel was still in people’s minds and there was still a fair bit of trouble at matches. It made things a bit raw and edgy for some but dangerous for others. All teams attendances were much lower across football as a whole than they are today.

Fair enough

Paul joined us in ‘88 and the replay was ‘87

I just remember one of our players missing a sitter and thought it was Paul but clearly not
We had hatfuls of chances from memory in all 3 ties. Clive Allen scored the first goal in all 3 ties as well I think. Anyway it was a long time ago so don’t be too hard on yourself!

We had hatfuls of chances from memory in all 3 ties. Clive Allen scored the first goal in all 3 ties as well I think. Anyway it was a long time ago so don’t be too hard on yourself!

Didn’t Nick Hornby mention the game in one of his books?

My line manager at the time was a Gooner and used to give me enormous stick!

Tosser

Tosser
Probably, but my hatred for Woolwich would never allow me to read a book by a gooner- daft I know but I have always hated them! Even to the point that I enjoyed it when Lofty left Eastenders cos I knew the actor Tom Watt was a dirty goon!

Tosser
That third game still to this day wrecks me along with Coventry.
That team going forward was so special. I also think Clive Allen was the most underrated striker of that time. His goals were brilliant. He scored all types and I used to nickname him C.Allen 2 because he loved a brace.

That third game still to this day wrecks me along with Coventry.
That team going forward was so special. I also think Clive Allen was the most underrated striker of that time. His goals were brilliant. He scored all types and I used to nickname him C.Allen 2 because he loved a brace.

Clive was a sort of Greavsie type player without the pace but still superb

Back
Top Bottom