Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you honestly want me to link reports of various different figures?
It's a free country, you can do what you want mate. I haven't posted any, so I assume you at least know the reports that I'm referring to, so you must have seen them.

I haven't seen any up until now (the purchase price we've agreed) saying that Betis want £35-£45m for him. All summer it's been reported that they want £70-£80m. (none of this would reflect what the perceived valuation is for him though, I'd never heard of him until links this summer, so find it odd any player is valued £70-£80m and I've never heard of or seen kick a ball).

It's a free country, you can do what you want mate. I haven't posted any, so I assume you at least know the reports that I'm referring to, so you must have seen them.

I haven't seen any up until now (the purchase price we've agreed) saying that Betis want £35-£45m for him. All summer it's been reported that they want £70-£80m. (none of this would reflect what the perceived valuation is for him though, I'd never heard of him until links this summer, so find it odd any player is valued £70-£80m and I've never heard of or seen kick a ball).

Correct - if we get him for 45-55m Levy has pulled off a masterclass in negotiations. They wanted 75m (unrealistic) originally so potential for 20m-30m off which would cover the Sess fee. I know most fans don't care about money but that's great business and will free up extra cash to spend on paying the stadium off. Win win all round.

By fucking about you mean getting him for £35m less than Betis were holding out for?

If that price is true fair enough I was posting yesterday saying that the messing about was pointless for what was reported as a 15 million euro difference. But fair play if that's actually the price we are paying, can see why Levy waited about

Last edited:
Correct - if we get him for 45-55m Levy has pulled off a masterclass in negotiations. They wanted 75m (unrealistic) originally so potential for 20m-30m off which would cover the Sess fee. I know most fans don't care about money but that's great business and will free up extra cash to spend on paying the stadium off. Win win all round.
For me, it's hard to assess if it's great business or not on a player I've never heard of before because of that I feel totally detached from it no matter what fee we are paying for him. Just salute the fact that we've knocked a lot off the initial asking price.

What are you jabbering about?

1) "top, top player" - you are talking about Lo Celso. Guy who was shipped out of PSG and had one good season at La Liga. And you make it sound like we are talking about Lionel Messi. Get some perspective. I would like us to sign him but... Come on, calm down.
2) I am very happy that you are not running the club. You'd have paid 90+ mil for N'Dombele as well I figure. Because you know.. Why hassle with negotiating. Even though it is possible to use your resources way more efficiently and basically get one Sessegnon for the money negotiated off N'Dombele and Lo Celso for example.
Ok, ok I'll calm down if you will. I'm not saying don't negotiate but there are many different ways of doing it. We may well get Lo Celso at a bargain price and it will be All Hail Levy for doing so. I just don't like this habit we have of taking everything to the wire. The way you describe him he's not worth £30m let alone £45m
Let's see what happens....at least it's given us all a talking topic to fill the long waiting days.
One thing is clear...we are all hoping for a fantastic season.
Good banter and some valid points exchanged in a friendly environment.....just how it should be.
:coys:

There's many reports of different figures, Many.

Ignore that though and just use common sense. It's unheard of for a club to have a valuation of one of their players and then drop that valuation by £35 million in negotiations. The likelihood that this happened is almost zero.

Well, reported figures might not be the realistic value that club expects to collect.
Let's call this "a label price" and let's say this was 75 mil £ - this might be a starting point from negotiations
behind that label there might be "intrinsic price" - the actual and realistic value that club expects to collect - say 55 mil £

Now IF we were to sign him for 50 mil £ than on paper it would mean that Levy was able to bargain off 25 mil £ (also known as 1 Sessegnon :D ) but in real life the discount might be like 5 mil, if you follow me.

So in that sense I agree, that it would not be realistic to get player 35 mil cheaper from this "intrinsic price", as this would mean capitulation of seller. But I do believe it is possible to get 35 mil (or 25 mil like I used in my example) off from this "label price" that is just been used to give stronger position for negotiations.

Until they are pictured in that lilywhite shirt with Poch's arm around them then I don't believe anything.
We played so well last night I think we will have a good season anyway. Our managers demeanour with the press is understandable as they are as thick as shit and ask wanky questions. Reminds me of that gag 'what is the difference between a journalist and an eel. One is a slippery bastard and the other lives in the sea.

My personal, strong suspicion about this window and as to why we have been linked so strongly with GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon is that we fully expected to sell Alderwiereld, Rose, Trippier and Eriksen. Those 4 would have pocketed us well over £100m
So far, only Trippier has gone (who'd have thought, of those 4, he'd be the most in demand?!)

So now we're in a position where we've committed to buying a £60m player and have only sold 2 (Trippier and Jansen)
Levy is now sweating on the others and refusing to authorise the signings as he doesn't want to be stuck with a bloated squad to pay wages to.

I know so called ITK states GLC is not dependent on selling Eriksen. That could mean we have the money to buy GLC before letting Eriksen leave. It could also mean most of them don't know what they're talking about.

There's a clear pattern in our transfer activity. Players need to leave for us to buy. No one left last summer, no one came. Dembele left in January, Ndombele came in July.

Further to my theory, I notice the 20 year old Tanganga has been getting a lot of minutes in pre-season. Is he earmarked as a 1st team player we can rely on if and when Alderwiereld goes? I think so. It means we could sell a CB and invest the money elsewhere.

This is all my personal opinion as to why there were many links, strong, a few weeks ago, but as the window has gone on, and our players haven't gone, they've dried up.

The 70m figures have always been Euro. They have not budged at all in their valuation.

As long as it gets done it's fine but we're hardly saving billions on waiting this one out.

I bet at best we get a better deal with less guaranteed add ons and less up front.

Betis already bought him for 20m, 20% goes to PSG, 5% to Rosario - if they sell him for 30m they aren't even breaking even and believing they'll sell for less than 50m € is fantasy to me, personally.

Ok, ok I'll calm down if you will. I'm not saying don't negotiate but there are many different ways of doing it. We may well get Lo Celso at a bargain price and it will be All Hail Levy for doing so. I just don't like this habit we have of taking everything to the wire. The way you describe him he's not worth £30m let alone £45m
Let's see what happens....at least it's given us all a talking topic to fill the long waiting days.
One thing is clear...we are all hoping for a fantastic season.
Good banter and some valid points exchanged in a friendly environment.....just how it should be.
:coys:

Well, I had to balance it :p
If one says "top,top player" and other "just played one decent season in La Liga" then we get to the middle ground in the end that might be closest to the truth :D

But the way I see it was that N'Dombele was an absolute "must" and it was wrapped up faster with less negotiations. Lo Celso would be nice, but I believe we could make it without him. So there is more room to try to play tricks and get the price lower.

Cheers!
And :coys: indeed ;)

So far, only Trippier has gone (who'd have thought, of those 4, he'd be the most in demand?!)

So now we're in a position where we've committed to buying a £60m player and have only sold 2 (Trippier and Jansen)
Levy is now sweating on the others and refusing to authorise the signings as he doesn't want to be stuck with a bloated squad to pay wages to.

I know so called ITK states GLC is not dependent on selling Eriksen. That could mean we have the money to buy GLC before letting Eriksen leave. It could also mean most of them don't know what they're talking about.

There's a clear pattern in our transfer activity. Players need to leave for us to buy. No one left last summer, no one came. Dembele left in January, Ndombele came in July.

Further to my theory, I notice the 20 year old Tanganga has been getting a lot of minutes in pre-season. Is he earmarked as a 1st team player we can rely on if and when Alderwiereld goes? I think so. It means we could sell a CB and invest the money elsewhere.

This is all my personal opinion as to why there were many links, strong, a few weeks ago, but as the window has gone on, and our players haven't gone, they've dried up.

...and he's got to factor in the cost of a trophy cabinet too, now.

My personal, strong suspicion about this window and as to why we have been linked so strongly with GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon is that we fully expected to sell Alderwiereld, Rose, Trippier and Eriksen. Those 4 would have pocketed us well over £100m

I don't believe this one bit.

We are now on different terms financially speaking. Revenue that we can expect from new stadium ticketing cost + upgraded shirt sponsorship + stadium naming rights + higher than expected price money from CL + constantly growing TV money changes the game. It might not but we have to factor in our remarkably low salary base as well (so this "bloated squad to pay wages for" is far from truth even if we do sign GLC+Sessegnon and sell no one).

We will see what will the case be in the long run, but we are financially in very strong position. And stadium debt is with super long schedule, so there will be excess amount of money from those payments. And that can be channeled to both - buying and wage budgets.

The 70m figures have always been Euro. They have not budged at all in their valuation.

As long as it gets done it's fine but we're hardly saving billions on waiting this one out.

I bet at best we get a better deal with less guaranteed add ons and less up front.

Betis already bought him for 20m, 20% goes to PSG, 5% to Rosario - if they sell him for 30m they aren't even breaking even and believing they'll sell for less than 50m € is fantasy to me, personally.
Have you seen the value of the pound:Euro at the moment? Pretty much same-same.

I deliberately put £70m-£80m to spread the € and £'s that I've seen quoted, I've no idea what their actual valuation is just taking what has been reported (various sources, various denominations). Same with the potential figure we might be buying him for, there is variation.

£30-£35m is a highly significant amount of money if reports are true.

One of the other reasons no doubt that has caused this to drag is there are 3 parties that own him and for sure they would like a return on their investment, but seeing that they only bought him 2 months ago!! It could be argued they are being a tad greedy, but he's their player and they can ask what they want for him. How they structured the deal with sell-on's etc is really fuck all to do with us, other than it's delayed a deal going through as they hold out for a better offer, which hasn't been forthcoming by the looks of things. Fekir is now their player and there can be little doubt that he is Lo Celso's replacement.

What he is or isn't worth €20m, €50m or €80m I'm blind as I've never seen him kick a football before. Football is a funny old game if you think that it was supposed to be a done deal last year for Fekir was going to Liverpool for €60m, who they have just bought for €20m. Now I have seen Fekir play and I would say €20m is one of the best deals of the window so far (fitness willing).

I don't believe this one bit.

We are now on different terms financially speaking. Revenue that we can expect from new stadium ticketing cost + upgraded shirt sponsorship + stadium naming rights + higher than expected price money from CL + constantly growing TV money changes the game. It might not but we have to factor in our remarkably low salary base as well (so this "bloated squad to pay wages for" is far from truth even if we do sign GLC+Sessegnon and sell no one).

We will see what will the case be in the long run, but we are financially in very strong position. And stadium debt is with super long schedule, so there will be excess amount of money from those payments. And that can be channeled to both - buying and wage budgets.

Well we do have to make space in the squad to bring new players in. They are the rules. At one point we had a named squad of 21 due to this.

Think right now we can add 1 x non home grown player and that’s us done.

So if they wanted to add Llorente for instance (as had been mentioned by some on here) we have to sell someone.

Pretty sure we only have 6 homegrown players now.

Back
Top Bottom