Gian Piero Ventrone

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

6978723_09173650_RNT_1760.jpg

Matt Doherty: “My kids asked, ‘daddy, is that your friend?’ and I said, ‘yes, he is’”​

Emotions were still raw as Matt Doherty took time to reflect on the news of Gian Piero Ventrone’s sad passing following our 1-0 win at Brighton on Saturday evening.

It had been a good day for Matt and the Club with his return to the side and a big Premier League victory at the Amex, of course, all overshadowed by the news of the sad passing of our well-loved fitness coach on Thursday.

“It has been pretty tough, yes,” Matt told SPURSPLAY. “Gian Piero brought a smile to all of our faces whenever we saw him. No matter what mood you were in, whenever you saw him, you couldn’t help but have a joke with him, or give him a hug, then everything was alright. We’re really going to miss him.

“I said to Eric the other day, my kids came to pick me up from the training ground on the Wednesday before the Woolwich game, and Gian Piero was behind us, and my kids asked, ‘daddy, is that your friend?’ and normally you would say, ‘that’s one of the coaches’, but I said, ‘yes, he is one of my friends’, and that’s what he was to us, more than a coach, he was a friend... he text me when I was away on internationals recently. It has been a pretty tough time for all of us.”

Matt Doherty: “My kids asked, ‘daddy, is that your friend?’ and I said, ‘yes, he is’”​

Emotions were still raw as Matt Doherty took time to reflect on the news of Gian Piero Ventrone’s sad passing following our 1-0 win at Brighton on Saturday evening.

It had been a good day for Matt and the Club with his return to the side and a big Premier League victory at the Amex, of course, all overshadowed by the news of the sad passing of our well-loved fitness coach on Thursday.

“It has been pretty tough, yes,” Matt told SPURSPLAY. “Gian Piero brought a smile to all of our faces whenever we saw him. No matter what mood you were in, whenever you saw him, you couldn’t help but have a joke with him, or give him a hug, then everything was alright. We’re really going to miss him.

“I said to Eric the other day, my kids came to pick me up from the training ground on the Wednesday before the Woolwich game, and Gian Piero was behind us, and my kids asked, ‘daddy, is that your friend?’ and normally you would say, ‘that’s one of the coaches’, but I said, ‘yes, he is one of my friends’, and that’s what he was to us, more than a coach, he was a friend... he text me when I was away on internationals recently. It has been a pretty tough time for all of us.”

That's a really nice tribute......

The fact that the lads got so attached to him in such a short period of time is huge testament to the man.

GPV touched lives. :adesalute:

Last edited:
Suprised to see our shirt front and center tbh.....

Mind you, having just read his history... I assumed he'd shadowed Conte everywhere since their early days...... Seems I was wrong.

REST EASY GPV. :adesalute:

That was the shirt the players signed. I guess because the players couldn’t be there, it was a way of them being involved?

I find it a bit strange that nobody is cutting the team some slack after what happened with Gian Piero. A friend and colleague died during the middle of the season, of course it must have had an effect on the players and everyone who worked with him.

I’m not using it as an excuse but it’s just another factor for us along with the schedule, the injuries etc. It must have been difficult to just keep going when something so awful happens. I think our players deserve some credit for the spirit they have shown to keep on fighting even though the performances have not been good.

I find it a bit strange that nobody is cutting the team some slack after what happened with Gian Piero. A friend and colleague died during the middle of the season, of course it must have had an effect on the players and everyone who worked with him.

I’m not using it as an excuse but it’s just another factor for us along with the schedule, the injuries etc. It must have been difficult to just keep going when something so awful happens. I think our players deserve some credit for the spirit they have shown to keep on fighting even though the performances have not been good.
Never thought about this, you are probably right as it can effect people quite deeply.

Do you not think this sort of thing happens fairly often at football clubs around the world?
I doubt very much our blips are because of this. Especially as a lot of them have been doing it for years.

Do you not think this sort of thing happens fairly often at football clubs around the world?
I doubt very much our blips are because of this. Especially as a lot of them have been doing it for years.

I don’t think coaches often die during the middle of the season, no.

In any case I didn’t say this was the reason we have wobbled. I said it was part of the picture, that’s all.

I don’t think coaches often die during the middle of the season, no.

In any case I didn’t say this was the reason we have wobbled. I said it was part of the picture, that’s all.

It's happened at Spurs before

Brentford

"Football" (handeggball)

Like I said, I bet it happens behind the scenes a lot more often the we realise.
Maybe our guy was more popular. Maybe our players haven't coped as well as other teams.
I very much doubt it's a unique situation though. Be interesting to gather the data of all top level teams (in various sports) that have lost a member of staff and see how they reacted.

It's happened at Spurs before

Brentford

"Football" (handeggball)

Like I said, I bet it happens behind the scenes a lot more often the we realise.
Maybe our guy was more popular. Maybe our players haven't coped as well as other teams.
I very much doubt it's a unique situation though. Be interesting to gather the data of all top level teams (in various sports) that have lost a member of staff and see how they reacted.
The fact it's happened to Spurs TWICE is a conversation for another thread... but aside from that, I honestly felt it would GALVANISE the team to play/perform/win in his memory (or does that only happen in the movies?)

We did it Brighton "for him" ... The players clearly cared about him... so why not use it as a galvanising factor and reason to win in his memory?

I bet every other club would use it to their advantage!!

I’m beginning to think that Gian Piero’s death had an even bigger impact than I thought. When you look at our defensive record since he passed, it seems obvious. He was “The Marine” and he was the one who drilled our players.

Conte spoke yesterday about how we have lost our “willingness to suffer” when defending and I think a lot of that would have come from Gian Piero. The players definitely not do defend with the blood and thunder that they used to. I don’t think we hired a replacement for him so that’s a big issue.

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think that Gian Piero’s death had an even bigger impact than I thought. When you look at our defensive record since he passed, it seems obvious. He was “The Marine” and he was the one who drilled our players.

Conte spoke yesterday about how we have lost our “willingness to suffer” when defending and I think a lot of that would have come from Gian Piero. The players definitely not defend with the blood and thunder that they used to. I don’t think we hired a replacement for him so that’s a big issue.
Absolutely.

We can’t play intense for full games anymore. The condition of the players looks out.

Back
Top Bottom