Getting it up for AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, we have a Blanc thread despite the fact that no one in France seems to believe he's coming to Spurs, so now that the Guardian have put their full weight and journalistic integrity behind the imminence of an AVB move, I think it's time to separate speculation about the Villas-Boascene Tottenham era from the "wot geezer do you want in?" threads. Sorry, Sibs. (not really)

I came upon this article today about AVB's tactics via twitter:

http://www.eplindex.com/15759/andre-vil ... tspur.html

It seems sober and, therefore, fills me with a certain optimism, should AVB actually come over. For the teeyelldeeour crowd, the article can be boiled down to this:

w8EIf.jpg

In short, we would be pressing the shit out of teams, pulping them into thin juice (orange, in honour of the Dutch). We know our team is largely built for this, because everyone of our players save Friedel and the elder CBs has no problems cracking across the line when appropriate. (Vertonghen would be huge here, from reports)

But I got a bit depressed to see Defoe up top. Part of me suspects he'd thrive in this kind of environment, where Bale and Lennon are pushed up top, but I'm not sure.

The article also suggested that the triangle in midfield had space for Sandro and Parker at the same time. That I'm also not entirely sure of.

It'd also be curious to see how someone like Rémy would fit into this picture. More often than not, he would play in Defoe's position full stop, though OM, as a virtue of being absolutely pants this year, had nothing resembling a stable attacking formation. Someone like Eden Hazard would've obviously been a gift here (competition for Lennon and Bale), but that battleship-sized pleasure yacht with Russian markings has sailed. Can Sessegnon hold to the touch line?

So while the formation makes me drool a bit, I can still go out in public, since the names under the shirts haven't made me soil everything in anticipation. One or two replacements, however...

To be honest I would really like AVB.

I just get a feeling that if it "works" then it will be unbelievable but if it doesn't I don't think we'll be any worse off and still be challenging for a Top 4 spot

I wish I could share your optimism /delusion. I am willing to concede that this COULD work out, but I'm not sure how you've arrived to challenging for top 4 to be the worst-case scenario here.

Smoked Salmon said:
I object to this thread on account of the use of old shirts. :saha:
well, if it had the new shirts, it couldn't include Modrić, now could it? Though this tactical description does make me see why AVB is especially keen on keeping the Croatian under the chkn badge.

The way I see it, other than losing Modric (I know he'd be a big loss), we could have a similar team. We'd move VDV into Modric's position and play Lennon on the right which i believe offer more defensive stability to the right hand side. With this we'd play 2 up front but if we wanted to play 1 up front we could move VDV in the hole behind the forward and then play Parker and Sandro in the middle, again IMO opinion offering more defensive security.

The only major issue at the minute is our lack of strikers, Defoe is a finisher but we need more than him obviously.

So the way i see it we have a team who should be able to compete for the Top 4 regardless of the manager.

Éperons said:
Smoked Salmon said:
I object to this thread on account of the use of old shirts. :saha:
well, if it had the new shirts, it couldn't include Modrić, now could it? Though this tactical description does make me see why AVB is especially keen on keeping the Croatian under the chkn badge.
We have new shirts?

I appear to have been living in the world of the 'slightly hazy night-crawler' the last few weeks.

:nawty:

Is Harry not still our manager? because there's a fuck of a lot of threads about new managers, none of whom inspire me (but then neither did the old one).

:adegrin2: :defoe2: :harryblow:

I'm still disappointed that Clive Allen & Joe Jordan have been allowed to leave, whereas Sherwood seems to be the future of the club... in fact, the way some of the press are reporting Levy's faith in Timmy, you can imagine them naming one of the stands in the new WHL the Sherwood End!

Joe Jordan was an old school hard bastard who no one messes with... I like that in the dug-out... he was certainly the man to get the message across if Harry couldn't... I fear Timmy might just be a 'yes' man to Levy (which is probably why he'll get the new stand named after him!)

Aaaaaanyway, I had a good feeling about Roy for England, and I THINK AVB might just fit in better at Spurs than he did trying to compete with the inflated ignorant egos at 'CHELSTERRY'!

I agree that I think he stands a better chance at WHL than in that big shithole of egos to the West. I still can't help but worry that this will be Ramos all over again.

pdxspur said:
I agree that I think he stands a better chance at WHL than in that big shithole of egos to the West. I still can't help but worry that this will be Ramos all over again.
.........and within 18 months time we will have installed Nigel Adkins. In the following years Levy will work his way along the south coast until in 2032 we approach the then current manager of Plymouth after a disastrous 'European appointment'

pdxspur said:

True, I'm a Spurs fan too long to know that not everything is guaranteed even if everything looks in our favour. I'm not expecting next year to be the same as last year with us in 3rd for a majority of it with a sight of a title challenge but i feel that we will be in for a Top 4 spot and then with CL, if we get it, the season after next I think could be something special. I just get the feeling that AVB could be the catalyst for that something special over the long run.

For a while now I've wanted a hungry manager at the club that could be with us for 10+ year. AVB ticks that box.
Attacking exciting football? Tick
Good looking? Tick
Probably hates John Terry and Frank Lampard? Probably tick.

RE Sherwood. We dont see what he does day to day....there is a reason he is being kept on and I have to say, reading the trasncripts of a few interviews he has done on the young players, he often comes across very well and seems to have a clear direction. Obviously something Levy is keen on....and frankly, we need.

Defoe isnt good enough though and I'd live to see Remy in Lennon's position (but dont sell Lennon just yet)

Rémy is certainly bigger than JD, and I still function on the fantasy that if you want a solitary fellow up top, you want a bit of a beast with some height and hopefully some shoulders. More Ibra, then, less Crouch.

Éperons said:
Rémy is certainly bigger than JD, and I still function on the fantasy that if you want a solitary fellow up top, you want a bit of a beast with some height and hopefully some shoulders. More Ibra, then, less Crouch.

How big is Remy?

I got the impression he'd be good on the right of a front 3?

Back
Top Bottom