Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele said (Football London): “As I’m getting older, my body can’t do what it used to as much so I am working a lot more off the pitch, in the gym on my hamstrings because I’ve picked up a few hamstring problems. "

What do you think of this?

Makes sense, think that is a big part of the issue with him. His will is soo strong, but he is suffering the same as Kane (Dembele, Rose, Wanyama, Dier, Vertonghen) from the high intensity philosophy (or dogmatic adherence to a single training schedule/load).

There are loads of things he can do, he has dropped a lot of upper body bulk which will have helped no doubt.

Think in many ways he needs to work a lot less off the pitch, more of core, stretching, recovery as you know very will I've gone on and on about.

It's premature aging due to excessive demands (IMO IMO for those who get upset at me questioning MoPo's fitness and recovery teams capabilities).

All our golden generation have turned to footballing athletic seniles, yet hardly anybody (but us Five) seems to see and accept this was the trade off for not cycling the team earlier and allowing more R&R for longer serving players.

Didn't Dele look like Jan against Southampton, when he came off...

It does sadden me deeply.

he has dropped a lot of upper body bulk which will have helped no doubt.
Has he?
Think in many ways he needs to work a lot less off the pitch, more of core, stretching, recovery as you know very will I've gone on and on about.
Dele Alli has hired a personal nutritionist and taken up yoga in a bid to cure his frustrating injury problems.

It's premature aging due to excessive demands (IMO IMO for those who get upset at me questioning MoPo's fitness and recovery teams capabilities).
I genuinely fear that we are still being affected by burnout, yes.
All our golden generation have turned to footballing athletic seniles, yet hardly anybody (but us Five) seems to see and accept this was the trade off for not cycling the team earlier and allowing more R&R for longer serving players.
Appears to be the case, yes.

Dele Alli has hired a personal nutritionist and taken up yoga in a bid to cure his frustrating injury problems.

The upper body is just a visual gauge, it appears to me he has dropped 4-5kg upper body bulk, but that's just a guess from what I saw in 2018 when he was getting too big in chest size.

From that article:

"The 23-year-old is now on a high protein, low sugar diet, while he is undertaking regular yoga sessions to increase his muscular mobility. "

That is fine, on the face of it, but that is likely a more acidic diet (protein is acid forming), so if not very nuanced you need much higher supplemental minerals (which come bound to sugars in dietary terms, chiefly Sucrose chains... hence the catch22 in many situations with these Paleo diets, especially if too meat heavy rather than lean(er) = chicken, salmon, plant based, and in % terms, plus the fats in the meats are very hard to cycle for top athletes and a minefield for even nutritionists to understand and put aside their own dietary biases).

Andy Murray = Quintessential wrong version of a Paleo diet
Novak Djokovic = Quintessential right version of a Paleo diet

Plus you need your carbs for readily combustible energy, you look at the tour de france guys, tennis players, they are eating mountains of Rice/Quinoa, not high protein. So it very much depends on who the nutritionist is, and, how they align it to match days and rest days, high intensity training days should be lower protein higher carbs the day before and during, rest days higher protein lower carbs, but still heavily swayed towards vegetables/fruit being the central core 50-75% of the meal plan (dropping lower on performance days, but increasing Quinoa or Rice and fruits for example, dropping meat/plant protein from 25% to 15% type range IMO).

Every day = masses of Magnesium and good amounts of Calcium (both key to muscle relaxation and repair).

Not saying the nutritionist has it wrong, but there is a good chance they are swayed more towards the Murray Paleo, than Djokovic, especially if Dele's natural bias is a high meat diet. The fat profile is also crucial.

(hopefully Murray is now on the right track, just using him as the example, as Vs Djokovic is a good side to side of two who were neck and neck as Juniors, both got to the top, but one has found a diet which keeps him there, the other traded 4-5 years of his career for power in the shorter term it seems).

If Dele has a weak metabolic function he may need high MSM (and host of other supps to assist his weaker biological structures), this could be a key in his longer term recovery (to whatever level his body will now allow). If the Nutritionist has him on VitC it must be buffered, preferably Liposomal Sodium/Potassium Ascorbate so buffered and encapsulated to make it fat soluble, he can afford the best...

Anyway, good to see he is doing all he can, but as we can see, why did it take until late 2019 for any of our squad to take up Yoga, or other recovery patterns, when all we ever heard from Poch was 'Intensity, Bringing It In Training, Work Hard'. It highlights they were all left to their own recovery devices far too much IMO.

I know shit all though, but could see this coming a mile off, as you and a few others know.

The upper body is just a visual gauge, it appears to me he has dropped 4-5kg upper body bulk, but that's just a guess from what I saw in 2018 when he was getting too big in chest size.

From that article:

"The 23-year-old is now on a high protein, low sugar diet, while he is undertaking regular yoga sessions to increase his muscular mobility. "

That is fine, on the face of it, but that is likely a more acidic diet (protein is acid forming), so if not very nuanced you need much higher supplemental minerals (which come bound to sugars in dietary terms, chiefly Sucrose chains... hence the catch22 in many situations with these Paleo diets, especially if too meat heavy rather than lean(er) = chicken, salmon, plant based, and in % terms, plus the fats in the meats are very hard to cycle for top athletes and a minefield for even nutritionists to understand and put aside their own dietary biases).

Andy Murray = Quintessential wrong version of a Paleo diet
Novak Djokovic = Quintessential right version of a Paleo diet

Plus you need your carbs for readily combustible energy, you look at the tour de france guys, tennis players, they are eating mountains of Rice/Quinoa, not high protein. So it very much depends on who the nutritionist is, and, how they align it to match days and rest days, high intensity training days should be lower protein higher carbs the day before and during, rest days higher protein lower carbs, but still heavily swayed towards vegetables/fruit being the central core 50-75% of the meal plan (dropping lower on performance days, but increasing Quinoa or Rice and fruits for example, dropping meat/plant protein from 25% to 15% type range IMO).

Every day = masses of Magnesium and good amounts of Calcium (both key to muscle relaxation and repair).

Not saying the nutritionist has it wrong, but there is a good chance they are swayed more towards the Murray Paleo, than Djokovic, especially if Dele's natural bias is a high meat diet. The fat profile is also crucial.

(hopefully Murray is now on the right track, just using him as the example, as Vs Djokovic is a good side to side of two who were neck and neck as Juniors, both got to the top, but one has found a diet which keeps him there, the other traded 4-5 years of his career for power in the shorter term it seems).

If Dele has a weak metabolic function he may need high MSM (and host of other supps to assist his weaker biological structures), this could be a key in his longer term recovery (to whatever level his body will now allow). If the Nutritionist has him on VitC it must be buffered, preferably Liposomal Sodium/Potassium Ascorbate so buffered and encapsulated to make it fat soluble, he can afford the best...

Anyway, good to see he is doing all he can, but as we can see, why did it take until late 2019 for any of our squad to take up Yoga, or other recovery patterns, when all we ever heard from Poch was 'Intensity, Bringing It In Training, Work Hard'. It highlights they were all left to their own recovery devices far too much IMO.

I know shit all though, but could see this coming a mile off, as you and a few others know.

You beat me to it. Was gonna say the exact same thing.

It's funny, you know; he packed on a good bit of muscle on top, but it did not benefit him in any way other than when the handbags came out.

I despair at his technical limitations. And I don't like his attitude, so I am very keen to part ways with him.

F*ck me. What did I read here?!?! "One of our best players"? "Played well"? "Pretty impressed with him"?

Just like it was pointed out. He completed 6 (!!) passes in 64 minutes. Out of 10 attempts. He had 1 good cross and that was IT. Whoscored rating gave him justifiably 2nd poorest rating after Davies yesterday (6.15).

Clear as a day he was the weakest link in our midfield. WhoScored ratings -
Lo Celso 7.62
Winks 6.76
Gedson 6.15

As I mentioned in other thread I think my ratings would be something like 7.5 for GLC, 6 for Winks and 4,5 for Gedson.

NB! all over-reacting types here - I am talking about his yesterdays performance. I am not saying that he is s*it, useless, bad etcetc. No. I am pointing out that yesterday he did not cope with the pace of the game at all and his performance was one of the worst ones.

He is young and I hope he will adapt and put in way better performances than he did against Leipzig.

Gedson Fernades is a future project. Tall, fast and seems sound but he is also too lightweight. I don't understand why these new kids can't put on some weight. I have noticed our team seems to lack in that departement. When i was 15 i was scrawny but i did something about it.

It's funny, you know; he packed on a good bit of muscle on top, but it did not benefit him in any way other than when the handbags came out.

True be. It seemed you could see his goals and assists drop in direct correlation to his bulk increasing...

I despair at his technical limitations. And I don't like his attitude, so I am very keen to part ways with him.

Kind of agree, found myself thinking of Poch potentially taking over at Utd and them offering £80M type money, would snap their hands off.

But I do love his link with Kane and his drive and desire, it is just not in a dynamic enough body! Think Grealish is currently twice the player Dele is, sadly (partly as that means Utd will be trying to sign him, not Dele!).

It's clear though when fit, to me, Lamela is worth much more to the team dynamic, not as many goals and assists but will bulldoze into the press and help create the team dynamic akin to what Leipzig showed last night, something Dele simply cannot do (in fact he does the opposite with the way he halfheartedly runs towards a player most often, probably scared of injury as he knows he's carrying fatigue around too much).

True be. It seemed you could see his goals and assists drop in direct correlation to his bulk increasing...

Kind of agree, found myself thinking of Poch potentially taking over at Utd and them offering £80M type money, would snap their hands off.

But I do love his link with Kane and his drive and desire, it is just not in a dynamic enough body! Think Grealish is currently twice the player Dele is, sadly (partly as that means Utd will be trying to sign him, not Dele!).

It's clear though when fit, to me, Lamela is worth much more to the team dynamic, not as many goals and assists but will bulldoze into the press and help create the team dynamic akin to what Leipzig showed last night, something Dele simply cannot do (in fact he does the opposite with the way he halfheartedly runs towards a player most often, probably scared of injury as he knows he's carrying fatigue around too much).
He is not scared to run when he smells a goal chance. His game is the same as it ever was. Shadow striker/poacher. Maybe he used to press more aggressively from the front. I'd have to dig out an old game (maybe a project for the summer).

And I think his attitude is rank, and reeks of Billy Big Bollocks.

Hes clearly got technical ability as evidenced by some nice touches but also seems to struggle to pass the ball in a straight line. Goes from the sublime to the ridiculous quite readily. Will be fun/frustrating to watch in his time with us

Fucking baffling transfer.

What even is he? Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure flimsy fucker who touches the ball once every ten minutes was fucking low down on the priority list.

How the fuck is he getting starts and Skipp can't get one ?

Fucking baffling transfer.

What even is he? Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure flimsy fucker who touches the ball once every ten minutes was fucking low down on the priority list.

How the fuck is he getting starts and Skipp can't get one ?

How is he a baffling transfer? He's a £3m 18 month loan at a time where we were short of midfield numbers. Can you not see the potential in him? Want to give him a little time to settle before you judge or do you just see footballers as robots literally all of the time BC?

How is he a baffling transfer? He's a £3m 18 month loan at a time where we were short of midfield numbers. Can you not see the potential in him? Want to give him a little time to settle before you judge or do you just see footballers as robots literally all of the time BC?

But we had a really good young midfielder here already that just needed game time. That game time is now going to Gedson, and frankly what he's produced so far is fucking abysmal. You say 3m like it's nothing? That's a massive amount of money. Plus wages. And it's also taking up another non HG spot.

I'm all for giving players time to settle and acclimatise, but IMO, we already had one here, cost us nothing and less wages too. We could have kept Edwards and had a midfielder and a forward, both with at least as much potential for less money than Gedson.

And I'm not going to pretend I can see potential just so in two years time when he has a decent game I can spend the next two years telling everyone "see, I told you he was mustard".

He’s still a bit of the cameo kid right now. Seems capable of doing some lovely stuff but it’s more than reasonable to ask is he better than Skipp ?
I don’t think currently I’ve seen enough to say so

maybe he’ll fill out and Drive the midfield like veira did for that shitshow down the road and that’s the potential

but unless the staff think he’s got that high a ceiling it is a slightly odd signing

Olly and his dad will be less than impressed

But we had a really good young midfielder here already that just needed game time. That game time is now going to Gedson, and frankly what he's produced so far is fucking abysmal. You say 3m like it's nothing? That's a massive amount of money. Plus wages. And it's also taking up another non HG spot.

I'm all for giving players time to settle and acclimatise, but IMO, we already had one here, cost us nothing and less wages too. We could have kept Edwards and had a midfielder and a forward, both with at least as much potential for less money than Gedson.

And I'm not going to pretend I can see potential just so in two years time when he has a decent game I can spend the next two years telling everyone "see, I told you he was mustard".

We'll have to disagree on this one then. I like Skipp's potential, I like Gedson's potential. I'm pretty happy we paid £3m for a year and half of having him withna view to that he can do I think it's smart business.

I don't think Gedson and Skipp are the same kind of player so not really sure Gedson will stifle Skipp that much. We'll see how both develop but I, pretty happy with the initial signs of a young kid that's just come to the club, I can definitely see why we took a punt on getting him in but that's just where me and you differ BC.

Back
Top Bottom