Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The same could be said for everybody else.
Players need to be here to make a difference and £4m + salary for 18 months of Gedson makes perfect sense imo, especially with all the injuries we have. We will see in the summer of 2021 whether we want to make the move permanent or not.

Last edited:
My perception on the night was I hadn't noticed his presence for a while when he first came on. But as the game went on, he started to show some good touches.
Far too early to make a proper judgement on him, want to see a lot more of him before doing that, but he certainly has potential.

Last edited:
Think the difficulties he’ll have convincing the fan base is going to be down to his role. Players who do “a bit of everything” generally aren’t rated as highly as a speedy, tricky winger or a tough tackling DM or clinical striker!

I know that you think I'm being ridiculous.
I'm just pointing out that we are kicking the can down the road.

We’re not though.

We’re paying a fee to hedge our bets. If we buy him now and he turns out to be dogshit, we still have to find a replacement *and* offload a dogshit player.

We’re not though.

We’re paying a fee to hedge our bets. If we buy him now and he turns out to be dogshit, we still have to find a replacement *and* offload a dogshit player.
I don't think he's a dogshit player, he could be a valuable squad player but I'm certain we aren't going to pay the second highest transfer fee in the clubs history for him. Levy knows it and JM knows it IMO.

Think the difficulties he’ll have convincing the fan base is going to be down to his role. Players who do “a bit of everything” generally aren’t rated as highly as a speedy, tricky winger or a tough tackling DM or clinical striker!

I think that’s often the issue with Winks. Thing is he is clearly Sissoko’s long term replacement, a box to box midfielder with a better passing range and more skill. I have seen enough glimpses to think this guy is a good footballer.

I was encouraged by what I saw... but in limited glimpses. Which I think is completely fine to see in a young player like himself. He showed for the ball a bit and also shyed away from it here and there. Wasn’t scared of a challenge. Some flashes of skill and evidence of confidence. I think he could be good but I am not expecting anything other than a serviceable player. I guess it’s only upside and that is why it is a good deal in the way it is structured.

Yeah, that's not a bad thing, it's just that he's not going to be a Lo Celso type of signing or anything like that, who will set the world alight. Nothing wrong with it though, every team needs squad players, and he's more than good enough to be one.
But the option to buy is 40m right ? They’ve baited that hook quite well

for a young 40m player you’d purchase on the open market youd look for him to push on and be better than the 40mil you’ve invested

do You go out and spend 40m on a squad player ??

Of course I hope he exceeds all expectations and there is a genuine star in our midst

But the option to buy is 40m right ? They’ve baited that hook quite well

for a young 40m player you’d purchase on the open market youd look for him to push on and be better than the 40mil you’ve invested

do You go out and spend 40m on a squad player ??

Of course I hope he exceeds all expectations and there is a genuine star in our midst

But if we don't deem him to be a £40m player in 17-18 months time we simply don't buy him and use that money elsewhere.

On the flip side if he really kicks on and becomes an £80m player will that hook have been baited as well as your speculating right now? It's too early to say but ultimately he'll either be good enough to trigger the option or he won't but in the meantime we get to use a potentially £40m player for a year and a half for a £3m-£4m fee. Seems like an excellent deal in my book regardless of what happens in 18 months time.

Yet so many cunts on here can't understand this
What doesn’t seem to be understood is you don’t get any of your 4m back

with your 15m you’d realise that 4m as loss on a probable worse case but also have the upside speculation

They’ve not sold themselves diwn the river by any means

if the conversion is 40m then their bet is that they believe that is where his talent will realise to . And they’ll collect

how wrong they can be is to be seen but for us to have this brilliant deal we have got to think he’s worth 50m and we have 1 year to work it out which will cost us 4m

they really don’t stand to lose ....of course unless he unleashes hidden Ronaldo talent that went undetected , we snap him up and pretend we knew all along

But if we don't deem him to be a £40m player in 17-18 months time we simply don't buy him and use that money elsewhere.

On the flip side if he really kicks on and becomes an £80m player will that hook have been baited as well as your speculating right now? It's too early to say but ultimately he'll either be good enough to trigger the option or he won't but in the meantime we get to use a potentially £40m player for a year and a half for a £3m-£4m fee. Seems like an excellent deal in my book regardless of what happens in 18 months time.
Clearly not. But that is the bet/position the selling club is willing to take

and like I say you’ve got to be quite a player these days for 50m 60m quid

and you’re talking 80m !!!! I mean I’m sure they don’t think they’ve just lost an 80m player on the cheap

and of course we do get the use of the player not a 40m Player.... but a raw player we are paying to develop

if we baulk at the deal they get their fee plus a player developed in a top league that may well now be a 20m or 30m asset

it is a reasonable play by both sides but not the absolute mugging this deal is being made out to be from our side only

Clearly not. But that is the bet/position the selling club is willing to take

and like I say you’ve got to be quite a player these days for 50m 60m quid

and you’re talking 80m !!!! I mean I’m sure they don’t think they’ve just lost an 80m player on the cheap

and of course we do get the use of the player not a 40m Player.... but a raw player we are paying to develop

if we baulk at the deal they get their fee plus a player developed in a top league that may well now be a 20m or 30m asset

it is a reasonable play by both sides but not the absolute mugging this deal is being made out to be from our side only

Yes we are developing him but it's a two way street. Are we getting a player that helps us immediately, makes us better when we are trying to revamp large parts of our squad? It's a year and a half loan and it comes at a time when Ndombele hasn't started well, Dier looks spent, Sissoko is probably out for the rest of the season etc.

If Gedson makes a difference in games like we saw him do yesterday then for me, regardless of if we don't take up the option to buy it will be loan money well spent. People were all for a striker loan in January so I don't know why people are against a midfield loan for longer, with an actual option not obligation to buy. We develop him, he comes good, we pay the money, if not he will be at the club longer than a permanent Yarmolenko type of deal was at Dortmund. If inflation continues to balloon in football like it has been, there's no reason to think that £40m might actually look like a great deal in a year and a half. He'll be older, more mature as a footballer and we may make him permanent, we may negotiate the option down closer to his market value or we may just let him go. Either way Gedson being a part of Sours at present to me makes us a stronger club so I'm all for it at a time where we were limping through game by game.

Yes we are developing him but it's a two way street. Are we getting a player that helps us immediately, makes us better when we are trying to revamp large parts of our squad? It's a year and a half loan and it comes at a time when Ndombele hasn't started well, Dier looks spent, Sissoko is probably out for the rest of the season etc.

If Gedson makes a difference in games like we saw him do yesterday then for me, regardless of if we don't take up the option to buy it will be loan money well spent. People were all for a striker loan in January so I don't know why people are against a midfield loan for longer, with an actual option not obligation to buy. We develop him, he comes good, we pay the money, if not he will be at the club longer than a permanent Yarmolenko type of deal was at Dortmund. If inflation continues to balloon in football like it has been, there's no reason to think that £40m might actually look like a great deal in a year and a half. He'll be older, more mature as a footballer and we may make him permanent, we may negotiate the option down closer to his market value or we may just let him go. Either way Gedson being a part of Sours at present to me makes us a stronger club so I'm all for it at a time where we were limping through game by game.
It stopped inflating ..... I see a trickle down in fees again from a peak of 3 seasons ago

so I see no safety in that

btw. I’m not disagreeing with you .... there is a sensible position taken by ourselves that like you I’m in favour of....however I’m in danger of repeating myself by pointing out that the older more developed player is of benefit to them if he’s returned

I just think they’ve been more shrewd than appears at first glance and we have more risk and work to see value in this deal than some think

Totti says we got a 15m player for 4m. But they wouldn’t have sold him for 15m I imagine confident that his potential will lead him to be worth 25-35m

and if they’re right 40m is tempting to us and a decent deal to them

the beauty we have is the ability to walk away from the deal for 4m quid. But you wouldn’t want to gamble too many 4m quids before it became real money

It stopped inflating ..... I see a trickle down in fees again from a peak of 3 seasons ago

so I see no safety in that

btw. I’m not disagreeing with you .... there is a sensible position taken by ourselves they like you I’m in favour of....however I’m in danger of repeating myself by pointing out that the older more developed player is of benefit to them if he’s returned

I just think they’ve been more shrewd than appears at first glance and we have more risk and work to see value in this deal than some think

Totti says we got a 15m player for 4m. But they wouldn’t have sold him for 15m I imagine confident that his potential will lead him to be worth 25-35m

and if they’re right 40m is tempting to us and a decent deal to them

the beauty we have is the ability to walk away from the deal for 4m quid. But you wouldn’t want to gamble too many 4m quids before it became real money

It has stopped inflating like I believed it would but the trend has always been the same when clubs get instant TV money and then have to wait for a new one to kick in.

Sky have paid for rights until 2022, it will be interesting to see if it spikes again or simmers and steadies. Whilst I appreciate Totti Totti and his insight into the game I will reserve judgement on Gedson until we see more of him. Ultimately he was a body that was much needed and if he isn't deemed worth the £40m in the summer of 2021 we simply won't go ahead with it. Likewise if he isn't a £40m player come 2021 then logically it's safe to assume that other clubs won't pay the £40m required at the time hence Benfica probably being open to a reduced fee be it from us or elsewhere.

The fact we got an option, not obligation makes it a complete win/win for me. £40m is basically what we paid for Sissoko & Clarke andnif you offered me either Gedson for that money or Sissoko & Jack right now, I'd rather see us lump that on Gedson based on my initial feelings about him.

Time may change things but we needed a body and got one for £4m, which works out to what £50k-£55k per week? Seems like a top deal with option for me mate,

It has stopped inflating like I believed it would but the trend has always been the same when clubs get instant TV money and then have to wait for a new one to kick in.

Sky have paid for rights until 2022, it will be interesting to see if it spikes again or simmers and steadies. Whilst I appreciate Totti Totti and his insight into the game I will reserve judgement on Gedson until we see more of him. Ultimately he was a body that was much needed and if he isn't deemed worth the £40m in the summer of 2021 we simply won't go ahead with it. Likewise if he isn't a £40m player come 2021 then logically it's safe to assume that other clubs won't pay the £40m required at the time hence Benfica probably being open to a reduced fee be it from us or elsewhere.

The fact we got an option, not obligation makes it a complete win/win for me. £40m is basically what we paid for Sissoko & Clarke andnif you offered me either Gedson for that money or Sissoko & Jack right now, I'd rather see us lump that on Gedson based on my initial feelings about him.

Time may change things but we needed a body and got one for £4m, which works out to what £50k-£55k per week? Seems like a top deal with option for me mate,
Interesting that you agree the market over heated as well ...., but said the opposite (recent ballooning) to bolster your point in just the prior post

You are arguing the reasons why on the playing side and on the financials why you believe thfc have conducted a good deal

and again. .... I’m in agreement with you. I think it’s a decent position to take by taking Gedson Fernandes on loan - to - buy

The point I am making is that it’s not the obvious steal some seem to believe it is and that the selling club have taken quite a healthy position with either outcome of the deal

they either receive the 40m conversion which they’ve placed as their ‘futures’ position

or a more mature premier league developed player plus 4m smackers

On the slight tangent of market value with the China cap and no new big players entering since the oil money influx unless the new tv deals outstrip the previous or a media player enters I can’t see the market reaching previous highs any time soon

and a few clubs have imo got burnt on these Chunky 100m plus deals

there appears to have formed a fairly defined 40-60m trend for decent players lately

again just my observation

Back
Top Bottom