Gareth Needs Our Help

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fox Soccer (US)..despite being on its deathbed...walking into the light as we speak... is doing a "March Madness" type event and Gareth is currently matched up against that twit known as Wilshire...I recently voted. I never pay attention to useless things on facebook but this time is different because Gareth is losing and that (to me) is unacceptable.

Please save me from seeing Wilshire winning this trash...its not what I want to see when I wake up and turn on fox soccer news.

Vote here: https://www.facebook.com/foxsoccer

Wiki on march madness and bracketology:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Championship#March_Madness)

Well I posted my thoughts on there for the record...

It's maddening now that I appreciate football to learn that so many americans have taken the easy path and just claim to be fans of the big clubs. ManU and Woolwich seem to be the clubs of choice from the Prem. It'd be like if a brit decided to follow baseball and said they were a fan of the Yankees. Fuck all that bandwagon crap.

It's maddening now that I appreciate football to learn that so many americans have taken the easy path and just claim to be fans of the big clubs. ManU and Woolwich seem to be the clubs of choice from the Prem. It'd be like if a brit decided to follow baseball and said they were a fan of the Yankees. Fuck all that bandwagon crap.
Oh come on. Spurs aren't a trendy team right now?

I don't get why you yanks even support an English team.

Don't get me wrong, I watch American sport but unless I have a bet on, I don't support anyone.

I've got back into the NBA recently but I don't even recognise half the teams. When I stopped watching lat time the Timberwolves had only just started.

I liked the pistons when Isiah Thomas played for them, the of course the great Bulls team of the 90s...

But that was when I was a kid, I have no affiliation with any of them now....

Should like The Spurs I guess but I gather they ain't that Spursy

Yeah, man, you show them by supporting the team in 3rd with possibly the best player in the league. Stay strong in your true support of a real club and all that.

Don't get me wrong, I watch American sport but unless I have a bet on, I don't support anyone.

I've got back into the NBA recently but I don't even recognise half the teams. When I stopped watching lat time the Timberwolves had only just started.

I liked the pistons when Isiah Thomas played for them, the of course the great Bulls team of the 90s...

Maybe American's support English clubs because 1) its currently the best league 2) language 3) air time 4) its not La Liga (which is fucking garbage).

Guess I brought a little of that on. And yeah, I'm at a loss to say exactly why I feel the way I do about a team half way around the world.

But for the record I began supporting Spurs "pre Bale" 7 or 8 years ago and no, I don't feel like Spurs have become a "trendy" team.

Ah hell, you got me NotInSDAnymoreYiddo - who shall we glom onto next?

Maybe American's support English clubs because 1) its currently the best league 2) language 3) air time 4) its not La Liga (which is fucking garbage).

Sums it up. I had no affiliation with Spurs prior to two seasons ago. I'm very interested in soccer, (football) but due to family, soccer was never on the television. I wanted to get in so: A) i wanted to speak the same language as many of the players, and B) the games be on at similar times to my life, C) Wasn't United, or Chelsea, or Woolwich, or City. United was always the winners team, Chelsea and City was always the money team and Woolwich was the crap team. D) Wasn't Crap. Spurs were very good and I saw Spurs play and loved their style. I played a similar style to Modric and watching him play attracted me to the team.

Would you rather me not support Spurs? One of the goals of a professional team is to become global, are you against this? What you said is nonsense. The EPL is the best iconic and relevant league ever. A person from a different country following a team in the EPL seems to be pretty common. Unlike you, when I watch, I want to root for a team, i want to win, i want to have glory. I can't see winning or glory having any meaning without one team as "yours."

I'll celebrate the day real madrid or barcelona dont make the champions league.

As for the poll- who gives a fuck? Foxsoccer is the american version of talksport- enjoyed best with your own music playing louder.

Completely disagree, I've been a 49ers fan since I was a kid. The last decade up until the last season or so, with 49ers being the whipping boys of the NFL, held no interest for me as I didn't have a team to look out for. So I'd watch the odd super bowl but couldn't get into it.

It's different with NBA as the individual flare sets the game alight, and hockey is just a ROFLfest but sports like baseball and "football" don't hold any interest to me unless I actively root for someone (I'm a Phillies fan by association). Same as cricket, I can't watch county cricket as I couldn't give a fuck about a single team. It's only rooting for England that makes cricket enjoyable for me.

To be fair, the barrier to entry of American Football is much, much, much more imposing.

Football/Soccer is an exercise in simplicity by comparison. It's easy to pick up the basics -- and even the not so basic --, whereas I've been watching American Football my entire life and I barely know shit about it.

One of the reasons why I'm not drawn to it. The rule book is a fucking mess.
Case in point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tackle-eligible_play
Let's wrap our heads around this one. It's a play whose legality varies across all levels of football, allowing offensive tackles that are INELIGIBLE receivers to line up as an extra receiver, but -- in most cases -- ONLY if you tell the referee what you're doing ahead of time. Whenever this shit happens there's always a dumb pause for a moment, with everyone wondering "Wait, what the fuck just happened?"

As for the legitimacy of Americans following foreign sports clubs, I really don't give a shit about justifying my passion for Spurs. I consider it my first and only real sports obsession, and if that isn't good enough... well, you can fuck off.

I actually think it's pretty reasonable.
I wouldn't expect you to value my opinion on American Football the same as someone who has been following it all their lives.

Soo... Do you value Brad Friedel's opinion on football? He's American. How About Dempsey? He's Also American. But wait, in America, American Football is played, so does that mean Dempsey's or Friedel's opinion means nothing because a different sport is played in their homeland? What you just said is nonsense.

Soo... Do you value Brad Friedel's opinion on football? He's American. How About Dempsey? He's Also American. But wait, in America, American Football is played, so does that mean Dempsey's or Friedel's opinion means nothing because a different sport is played in their homeland? What you just said is nonsense.

Well when you twist what I say around then sure it sounds like nonsense. Brad and Clint have been involved with football all their lives, they are professional footballers and they know infinitely more about the sport than I will ever know. For the record there are Americans who opinions on football I respect, but for the majority, from my experience I find talk total bollox or just word for word what they hear pundits say on the television.

Also I think you missed my point about the American football completely. For example, I like to follow American football both the NFL and College football, I invest a lot of time into watching it, and would consider myself fairly knowledgeable compared to the average person over here. But at the same time I would in no way be offended if an American didn't really value my opinion on the matter because, why should he, I've only been interested in it for the past couple years where as they on the other hand are brought up with it in their culture.

I really don't give a shit about justifying my passion for Spurs. I consider it my first and only real sports obsession, and if that isn't good enough... well, you can fuck off.

If that's aimed at me, I never once said you had to justify yourself to me or anyone.

fucking garbage?

:defoe: :avbfacepalm: :harryfacepalm:

Above is a reason I find it increasingly difficult to respect an Americans opinion on football.

yea, with the exception of 2 and a half teams, its a bad league. Atl. Madrid will be trash the second Falcao leaves...and if its a swap for Torres then they will be trash for sure.

Having two good teams does not float a league.

yea, with the exception of 2 and a half teams, its a bad league. Atl. Madrid will be trash the second Falcao leaves...and if its a swap for Torres then they will be trash for sure.

Having two good teams does not float a league.

How often do you actually watch La Liga, rather than buy into this 2 team league bullshit.
Interesting how 1 Spanish club has been knocked out of the CL as opposed to all 4 English clubs.

They must really be thrash.

Edit: Just done some research there, in the last 18 years there have been 4 different winners in the Premier League. In the same time span there have been 5 different winners in La Liga.

Back
Top Bottom