Future Captain?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With people returning to form and fitness, particularly in the defensive line it is only a matter of time before Dawson comes under pressure for his place in the team. With this in mind I am sure we are considering the future of the captain's armband. The 3 names that have been mentioned the most would appear to be Vertonghen, Kaboul & Lloris.

For me Kaboul is yet to prove his fitness and I believe is in the last year of his contract. Don't get me wrong he is a fantastic player but not the favourite for the armband in my opinion.

Of the other 2 I believe both could do an exceptional job. I would personally give it to Hugo, I believe he is the most respected player in our squad and a huge name internationally. Hopefully this would also give him the motivation to commit to us long term amid guaranteed interest from all the world's biggest clubs this summer.

So I would be looking at Lloris as captain with Vertonghen as vice captain and lets build our future around these two world class footballers. Thoughts?

CHRICHES??? He can be our Beckenbauer for years and years... 'cos the moment Vertonghen becomes Captain, you just know Barca/Real/Arab-Fund City Slickers will swoop!

I think being a guaranteed regular in the team is crucial and whilst Chiriches has made a great start with us he isn't there yet - definitely a potential future captain for me though!

captain means fuck all apart from calling the toss and picking which end we shoot, to that end, I don't care.
not sure i agree...to outsiders it may look like thats all they do but i bet behind closed doors and on the training paddock they have an much more expanded and important role...i.e. team spirit, helping new players etc etc... there also generally allowed to talk more shit to the refs during games (which can have an effect on the ref)

I really don't see Vertonghen as captain material. He's not a leader, and he looks like a bit of a whinger.

Hugo or Sandro for me.

not sure i agree...to outsiders it may look like thats all they do but i bet behind closed doors and on the training paddock they have an much more expanded and important role...i.e. team spirit, helping new players etc etc... there also generally allowed to talk more shit to the refs during games (which can have an effect on the ref)
Dawson would assume that role as club captain anyway. During games, it'll be as I stated above

no doubt it will be dawson.
the threads about who will take over AFTER dawson though.
vertonghen and lloris seem to be the consensus and pehaps maybe sandro.
My point was that I'm indifferent as all they'll do is call heads and tails, and pat our good players on the bum when they do something good.

I'll stop being an awkward cunt and submit my answers in order;

Kaboul
Vertonghen
Lloris

My point was that I'm indifferent as all they'll do is call heads and tails, and pat our good players on the bum when they do something good.

I'll stop being an awkward cunt and submit my answers in order;

Kaboul
Vertonghen
Lloris
dont think anybody would be complaining about your selections...
dont mind me anyway just being abit of a cunt, i can see your point about the captaincy not being that big a deal, especially in the modern game..
especially considering we were about to sell our captain to QPR..(must think really highly of him then ay?)

Should have retired the armband with this fella :ledley:

Oh and don't forget, captains also step in to talk refs out of booking teammates...like that ever works (unless it's Gerrard/Clattenburg).

I must admit I like having an outfield player as captain. Don't know why - maybe because they are more involved in play, able to communicate with the team easier, talk to the ref etc.

My vote goes to Vertonghen.

Interesting to see people feel being a captain suddenly increases bigger clubs' attraction in said player. I personally don't feel that makes a blind bit of difference.

You didnt see much of Jan during his captaincy at Ajax then.

Vertonghen is the outstanding candidate.

I didn't, no, but his attitude at Spurs is not what i'd want from a captain. Moaning at being played at left back and he's quite petulant on the pitch. I think he'd be more of a 'lead by example' type of captain whereas someone like Sandro/Dawson/Lloris would be a driving force behind the team.

Back
Top Bottom