For all of you, Poch needs time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needs time to bed in the new signings, no doubt.

He shouldn’t need any time to understand that Wanyama, as good as he once was, is now a washed up player who has no business being on the pitch. His last appearance of note was Ajax away where he was dragged off at HT after letting them rip us to shreds in the middle, why is he still involved in the match day squads, never mind being our first choice sub for a big away game?

Why are we still playing the midfield diamond despite it being blindingly obvious that our ageing defense and limited midfielders cannot manage games in that system? If you want to score a goal all you have to do is walk past our midfield.

Why are Lucas, Dier and Davies being completely ignored while the people taking their minutes are playing like shit? Why is Eriksen still trusted to produce magic in these circumstances? Why aren’t Skipp, Parrott and Tanganga getting involved if he doesn’t trust the seniors on the bench?

Some of these things don’t need time to change, they need to change right now. He keeps going on about this being a weak squad and in need of a rebuild but he’s wheeling out Wanyama and Eriksen? Just stop playing them. He is being so stubborn that it can only end in disaster. Where is the Poch who so coolly threw Kaboul, Adebayor, Capoue, etc out of the first team? He’s either gone soft and isn’t willing to be brutal with his own players (as opposed to AVBs leftovers) or he is not actually looking at the reality of our performances. Time isn’t going to change who he is. If he can’t whip the team into shape in a moment like this then he never will. He has to deliver big changes immediately before the season gets away from us.
3rd and 4th paragraph are spot on.

Palacios was one thing we had needed for ten years. Harry said he couldn’t understand why spurs hasn’t signed a CM for so long.

He was never going to be 64M player though

Palacios in today's market would be a 50 mill plus player. I'm not saying he would be worth that amount but the current market dictates such a valuation.

Just heard an interesting discussion of Spurs on Sirius radio on the football channel. The commentators position was that Poch and Spurs have done well under the circumstances. No spending during previous windows, and very limited play by the 3 we got this past window . They said that time was still needed.

I can’t blame Poch for the state of our squad to be honest. We’ve had 2 years of underinvestment and we all know who controls that.

We have spent about 60m MORE than Man City in the last 2 years. In that time City have only added 1 player to the starting 11 (Rodri) and 2 squad players (Mahrez and Cancello). Of Citys 320m spend the year previous; only Walker, Ederson and Bernado feature as starters in the team.

Meanwhile we have added Sanchez, Moura, Aurier, Llorente (now gone, but did contribute), N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Sessingon, Foyth, Gazzaniga.

How many of our signings over the last 2 years feature in the starting 11......NONE. Even Moura; who outscored Son last season and won us our spot in the ECL final can't get a look in.

So, is it poor signings or, a poor coaching staff?

Palacios in today's market would be a 50 mill plus player. I'm not saying he would be worth that amount but the current market dictates such a valuation.

The fact there is even a justifiable comparison to the Redknapp era speaks volumes.

Ten years on, we are still trophy less and 4th, and now regressing in terms of style of play, results and commitment from key members of the squad. There is a rather embarrassing mantra popping up that Arry had a similar quality squad and equal investment.

There are a lot of people who a few weeks ago denied there any problem with our start to the season. Some have come around and said we are poor, but tried to pin that on the one summer window in 6 we didn’t sign anyone.

The one summer window prior to the season they are hailing as a massive achievement for the manager and club.
The they look at Liverpool who didn’t sign anyone and wonder how such a “neglected” team can be playing so well....maybe Liverpool will be shit next season because of this seasons summer transfer window. According to the theory.

The rest are just nowhere to be seen.
Beat Colchester and they’ll be out here telling everyone how Poch should be knighted.

Last edited:
You asked who I would replace him with, I don't have that power you tit.

To remind you...

:kanehand:
Did you spend long at charm school or are you just a natural?
If you are going to be deliberately hostile and obtuse then there is little point in continuing is there?
You know exactly I was asking

We have spent about 60m MORE than Man City in the last 2 years. In that time City have only added 1 player to the starting 11 (Rodri) and 2 squad players (Mahrez and Cancello). Of Citys 320m spend the year previous; only Walker, Ederson and Bernado feature as starters in the team.

Meanwhile we have added Sanchez, Moura, Aurier, Llorente (now gone, but did contribute), N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Sessingon, Foyth, Gazzaniga.

How many of our signings over the last 2 years feature in the starting 11......NONE. Even Moura; who outscored Son last season and won us our spot in the ECL final can't get a look in.

So, is it poor signings or, a poor coaching staff?
They are obviously poor- because the the club was so much better before their arrival, we were battering everything in our path.

They are obviously poor- because the the club was so much better before their arrival, we were battering everything in our path.

But the point is that we got found out. Playing pretty much the same starting 11 and tactics for 4 seasons has left us rather predictable; and this is compounded with Kane's lack of pace. We are unable to take defenses by surprise and we are unable to provide service to Kane when he does finally make it into the box.

Of course, dropping Kane is not the answer.

We need to learn how to defend, lure teams into attacking and then smash them on the counter whilst they struggle to adopt their defensive formation.

Unless Alli and Eriksen hit a run of form, we simply are not good enough to open up well organised defenses on a regular basis. We cannot rely every game on Son / Moura or Kane to dribble round 2 players and pull off a 30 yard strike to save the day. I want to see some simple tap-ins created by clever passing.

But the point is that we got found out. Playing pretty much the same starting 11 and tactics for 4 seasons has left us rather predictable; and this is compounded with Kane's lack of pace. We are unable to take defenses by surprise and we are unable to provide service to Kane when he does finally make it into the box.

Of course, dropping Kane is not the answer.

We need to learn how to defend, lure teams into attacking and then smash them on the counter whilst they struggle to adopt their defensive formation.

Unless Alli and Eriksen hit a run of form, we simply are not good enough to open up well organised defenses on a regular basis. We cannot rely every game on Son / Moura or Kane to dribble round 2 players and pull off a 30 yard strike to save the day. I want to see some simple tap-ins created by clever passing.
so why does everyone think that sacking the best manager we have had in years is the solution to a player problem?

so why does everyone think that sacking the best manager we have had in years is the solution to a player problem?

Because he is not the same.
And we are not the same.

Poch up to middle of 2017/18 was our best manager. Now we don't play the same and are only taking step after step after step backwards. I don't like the trend, others don't like the trend. Sorry, but you seem to live in the glory-times that have passed. Out of our last 25 games we have won less then a third. We are currently not a top team anymore. I am just afraid that if this continues, everything will collapse.

I cannot share this article enough.
Some people here pretend like we are talking only about this season, while this is simply not true. If we wait until Christmas, we have been extremely patient because by then we have endured 2 years of poor football and declining form, that was masked by one (admittedly super-awesome) cup run.

I totally wish he could turn things around again and make us play attractive, high tempo, successful football again. I do! But I do not believe into this anymore. Poch does not seem to take steps to right direction. I don't understand that while in prior to this summer we had one DCM totally cooked (Wanyama) and other had lost his form (Dier), but he did not identify this as a problem. Right now we play without support to our defense and we leak absurd amount of shots on goal against every opposition
Villa - 4
Man City- 7
Newcastle - 3
Woolwich - 8
Palace - 8
Olympiacos - 5
Leicester - 7
We have managed ONE clean sheet in this season, and conceded 10 goals in 7 games. Previous clean sheet we kept was against Brighton on 23.04. Since then we have played 13 games. Yes - 13 games and 1 clean sheet. We are absolutely all over the place and this is not good enough.

We have spent about 60m MORE than Man City in the last 2 years.

Please break this down.

We spent about 120m this summer?
Obviously more if you factor in what we will spend next summer when we have to pay for Lo Celso. Currently he’s on loan.

Zero last summer - literally zero.

City spent £120m on Rodri and Mahrez alone before you even factor the others in.

How do you make that £60 million more??

Go back to the 2017 summer and 2018 jan windows and City went nuts on their spending. Spent £275m. We spent £120m.

So do let me know where your £60m is coming from.

Because he is not the same.
And we are not the same.

Poch up to middle of 2017/18 was our best manager. Now we don't play the same and are only taking step after step after step backwards. I don't like the trend, others don't like the trend. Sorry, but you seem to live in the glory-times that have passed. Out of our last 25 games we have won less then a third. We are currently not a top team anymore. I am just afraid that if this continues, everything will collapse.

I cannot share this article enough.
Some people here pretend like we are talking only about this season, while this is simply not true. If we wait until Christmas, we have been extremely patient because by then we have endured 2 years of poor football and declining form, that was masked by one (admittedly super-awesome) cup run.

I totally wish he could turn things around again and make us play attractive, high tempo, successful football again. I do! But I do not believe into this anymore. Poch does not seem to take steps to right direction. I don't understand that while in prior to this summer we had one DCM totally cooked (Wanyama) and other had lost his form (Dier), but he did not identify this as a problem. Right now we play without support to our defense and we leak absurd amount of shots on goal against every opposition
Villa - 4
Man City- 7
Newcastle - 3
Woolwich - 8
Palace - 8
Olympiacos - 5
Leicester - 7
We have managed ONE clean sheet in this season, and conceded 10 goals in 7 games. Previous clean sheet we kept was against Brighton on 23.04. Since then we have played 13 games. Yes - 13 games and 1 clean sheet. We are absolutely all over the place and this is not good enough.
They won't listen mate everything thing is alright it's just a click of a button away how no-one can not see it is beyond me.

Did you spend long at charm school or are you just a natural?
If you are going to be deliberately hostile and obtuse then there is little point in continuing is there?
You know exactly I was asking
images

Back
Top Bottom