Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FFP was brought in to stop clubs spending irresponsibly and “doing a Leeds”.

If owners have the money and want to pump it into their club to win, what’s problem of they are loaded enough to cover the losses?

Because it's unfair for the vast majority of football teams and kills sporting integrity?

What's the point of having a sport where teams play fair on the pitch but play unfair off it?

Might be wrong, but I'd expect that % to have decreased over the last 2 seasons considering our increased spending in recent years......

Also: Lets say that 14% of what we are currently spending roughly equates to 20m quid p/a..... If that 20m quid is still going towards projects that are increasing our spendable revenue (eg stadium repayments, go carts and other crap) then it's a circularly funding scenario.

Yeah I think it will have gone down too. I was being facetious.

Because it's unfair for the vast majority of football teams and kills sporting integrity?

What's the point of having a sport where teams play fair on the pitch but play unfair off it?
The commercial revenue of PSG is greater than the other 19 teams in Ligue 1. It’s the only L1 side in the most populous city in France so an advantage would be expected but, with the doping, PSG will dominate domestic competition to the point that it’s unlikely that they’ll lose a domestic tournament—unless managed by Poch. Does anyone really want to watch a league that the same team wins 12 times in a row usually by a comfortable margin? And, if they’re beaten, then they just buy the best players of the team that beat them?

The revenue inequality, driven by (but not entirely down to) nation states and oligarchs, just pushes us further and further towards a closed shop super league.
If the two options are domestic leagues that serve no purpose because they’re always won by the same team or a closed shop super league then I’m going to give up on top tier football.

1. They don’t play fair on the pitch. They constantly look to cheat officials and bend the rules. Then there is the doping question which is very much an open question.

The commercial revenue of PSG is greater than the other 19 teams in Ligue 1. It’s the only L1 side in the most populous city in France so an advantage would be expected but, with the doping, PSG will dominate domestic competition to the point that it’s unlikely that they’ll lose a domestic tournament—unless managed by Poch. Does anyone really want to watch a league that the same team wins 12 times in a row usually by a comfortable margin? And, if they’re beaten, then they just buy the best players of the team that beat them?

The revenue inequality, driven by (but not entirely down to) nation states and oligarchs, just pushes us further and further towards a closed shop super league.
If the two options are domestic leagues that serve no purpose because they’re always won by the same team or a closed shop super league then I’m going to give up on top tier football.
Current FFP regulations weren’t brought in to stop this. And tbh we had the sky 4 dominance through financial advantages for years before City came along.

I’m supportive of pushing to make winning more equal opportunity but there is just as much chance these regulations all but guarantee the same clubs winning all the time. Even more so than before.

How the fuck is anyone supposed to keep track of who is going down or staying up?
Can’t see this season’s relegation being solved outside of litigation.
if Leicester are also in breach of financial regulations then I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s additional issues with the promotion spots also.
This can’t be an arbitrary process as in the EPL can deduct 10 plus/minus 4 or 6 plus/minus 2 for good behavior when a single point can be the difference between EPL and EFL football.

If owners have the money and want to pump it into their club to win, what’s problem of they are loaded enough to cover the losses?
Because it’s unsustainable. Everton and Forest are close to going out of business on paper - at some point their mad owners will stop spending and they will go pop

Because those situations can change rapidly, like Usmanov at Everton.

Something could easily happen in the wider world that meant the middle eastern owners all disappeared quickly as well.

I thought fifa prohibited government interference in a country’s football affairs?

Surely they won’t be happy at this, although I’ve no idea if similar is set up in other countries. Anyway, I wouldn’t want any government near controlling anything in football. It won’t do it well.
Political interference Vs government interference,it is different.

If Germany can insist on 50+1 pretty sure government can be involved

Back
Top Bottom