Fighting back against the Spurs haters in the media

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Greetings brethren.

I have come here from the JA606 Spurs group.
We are sick of all the bile being written about the Bale saga.
Because the fact from fiction is so hard to refute when the
club is so tight-lipped, I have suggested the following :

If Bale remains at Spurs come Sept 1, and the truth of the
saga comes out, that all the Spurs faithful on that day should
swamp the Talksports, SSN, Daily Fail etc to take them down
for a while.

Twitter, bulletin boards, phone ins. The lot.
To say nothing more than to specific 'journalists' than what a
bunch of lying amateur morons they truly are.

I suspect that of all the tribe scattered around the world, the
1882 crew would be quite vocal in numbers and support ... ;)

"If people stop reading crap, the papers would stop writing crap."

Problem is, sometimes the truth is sitting there in that huge pile of crap.

A big part of the problem is that it's only what they want us to hear - as in the agents, the players, the football clubs in question. We only ever hear a small portion of what's going on and the media extrapolate from that whatever their agenda is.

And regardless of a concerted effort or not - I doubt that there'll be much of a backlash from us. Because we know that next summer, he will go for sure.

The media have hated us for years, overall. I stopped buying papers a long time ago, because all of them, yep all of them were prepared to write nasty, bile-spewing stuff about us when it suited them.

Let's please not start becoming a London version of Life's Little Victims FC. Bale is supposedly the world's third best footballer and as such he fills column inches and sells papers. It is only natural that once the Madrid media machine starts turning, everyone jumps on the band wagon. If they were targeting Suarez, the papers would do the same. If they were going for RVP they would be doing the same.

I'll not support anything that bleats about us being victimised as it simply isn't true and makes us look like idiots.... Last I heard Liverpool held that mantle and long may it continue.

PS: this is unashamed tapping up by Real and that is where I vent my spleen, that they can hide behind Marca and behave like this with impunity is a joke quite frankly.

I often wonder why the media seem to hate Spurs so much. In the case of Sky it's obviously because we have upset their "Big 4 = Big bucks" paradygm. How can we have the nerve to have the best player in the League, and him being a BT TV ambassador to boot.

For the gutter press I reckon it's simply this: When they turn up at places like Woolwich and Chelsea for a press conference they are given a nice spread. Vol-au-vents, amuse-bouche, quality salads, sparkling wine, ferrero rocher. At Spurs they must get jack...
:levyeyes:

Let's please not start becoming a London version of Life's Little Victims FC. Bale is supposedly the world's third best footballer and as such he fills column inches and sells papers. It is only natural that once the Madrid media machine starts turning, everyone jumps on the band wagon. If they were targeting Suarez, the papers would do the same. If they were going for RVP they would be doing the same.

I'll not support anything that bleats about us being victimised as it simply isn't true and makes us look like idiots.... Last I heard Liverpool held that mantle and long may it continue.

PS: this is unashamed tapping up by Real and that is where I vent my spleen, that they can hide behind Marca and behave like this with impunity is a joke quite frankly.
tumblr_lx562b4bjB1r48wqh.gif

100%

All this everyone hates us is beyond a joke.
We are victims of nothing more than being a successful club with good players that make for good stories.

WookieD is spot on, the problem with railing against the media is that you create a new bubble and every bit of news you see is a conspiracy against us. We're not victims and if Spurs should bank £90m on Gareth Bale not many independent people will see it that way either.

I kinda agree with the OP. I do think that Sky have had a dislike of us since we broke the established top 4 (note that there have been no "Grand Slam Sunday" since Liverpool were dumped out of the top 4.
But I do agree with wookie as well. If we start bleating about to everyone else (among ourselves is a different situation), then we start turning into the Liverpool supporters club. and I would never want to be seen in the same light as those fuckers

The media have hated us for years, overall. I stopped buying papers a long time ago, because all of them, yep all of them were prepared to write nasty, bile-spewing stuff about us when it suited them.

Get over it. It's the same for all big football clubs.

Newcastle and Everton fans etc. often refers to us as "media darlings". They are not right, and you are not right. The reasons why the media writes about Spurs, is that people want to read about Spurs, both negative and positive things.

The media don't "hate" anyone. There is a fallacy abound that the media are there as a public service to bring news to the masses. Arguably that hasn't been the case for at least a century now, aside from perhaps the BBC, Instead they are there for only two purposes, firstly to make a profit, and secondly to advance situations and policies (be it politics, sport or whatever else) to maximum benefit of the owner. There really is no more to it than that.

These kinds of stories are designed to whip up a furore, which in turn will generate more stories and shift more copies. That's all there is to it. Go onto any forum of any of the big teams out there and you will find exactly the same "they hate us" complaining. The reality is though that because football is tribal and emotions run high, any article perceived as negative is interpreted as a hate campaign, when, in fact, it's nothing of the kind, It's interpreted like that simply because the fan doesn't want to see negative shit written about the club they love. If people put their thinking caps on for a minute and set aside their emotions they'd realise this.

Get over it. It's the same for all big football clubs.

Newcastle and Everton fans etc. often refers to us as "media darlings". They are not right, and you are not right. The reasons why the media writes about Spurs, is that people want to read about Spurs, both negative and positive things.
A good point you raise, namely that it is not just Spurs fans who buy newspapers, but also those who hate us and love nothing more than to read about how everything at WHL is in turmoil.

If you're a fan of any team, there are only two complaints made - the press either hate you or ignore you. There is rarely a sustained period of positive press for any team or regime.

Back
Top Bottom