FIFA testing changes to the offside rule

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shit at spotting rather than unaware, I bet they thought it was his shoulder but were wrong.
What's your name? Vincent Andrew Ridiculous? I can still see the still frame in my head now. Kane was clearly and obviously onside and they clearly and obviously used his elbow as the point from which to adjudge him offside. Cheating, incompetent bastards.

VAR will cost us a Champions League spot.

Rant over.

What's your name? Vincent Andrew Ridiculous? I can still see the still frame in my head now. Kane was clearly and obviously onside and they clearly and obviously used his elbow as the point from which to adjudge him offside. Cheating, incompetent bastards.

VAR will cost us a Champions League spot.

Rant over.
Incompetent not cheating, just shit and thought they saw something not there.

VAR is shit and helps nothing, causes more issues than it resolves.

Incompetent not cheating, just shit and thought they saw something not there.

VAR is shit and helps nothing, causes more issues than it resolves.
'Incompetence' is your opinion. I can't go along with the idea that they don't know their own rules, so I'll continue to believe it was 'cheating'.

'Incompetence' is your opinion. I can't go along with the idea that they don't know their own rules, so I'll continue to believe it was 'cheating'.
I think they knew their rules but thought a part of his body he could score with was off. Ineptitude over corruption for me

And then there's Antonio's forearm smash into the face of Eric Dier. Did they do anything about that? Of course not, the corrupt bastards.

...but, but, but they connected their vertical line to his elbow ffs.
There is obviously cases when it’s clear that the 4th official get stuff wrong due to ineptitude but that particular case was clearly showing his elbow as the offending body part . It was as if they were looking for justification not to give the goal . These are representatives of the law & it’s clear that it’s made up as they go along .

At the end of the day , VAR & changes to rules haven’t really changed mistakes or interpretation of laws .

This ticks all of the boxes that combat the current VAR farcical VAR offside review.

Obviously needs to be work in practice for it to be given a thumbs up from me but at least this appears a positive thing to address the lie of VAR.

This ticks all of the boxes that combat the current VAR farcical VAR offside review.

Obviously needs to be work in practice for it to be given a thumbs up from me but at least this appears a positive thing to address the lie of VAR.

I'm conflicted. Part of me thinks it's totally ridiculous to have this level of tech to implement the offside rule and part of me welcomes the idea that mistakes should (?) be a thing of the past.

A large part of me would like to get rid of all tech, except the 'is it a goal or not?' stuff. We tried the other ideas (VAR etc) and they turned out to be crap. I'd accept a return to the old 'blind ref and 2 corrupt linesmen' system that's served us well since before time began.

Even tried & tested electronic systems aren't as good as they're made out to be. I've been watching Wimbledon and you can tell that several players have been convinced that Hawkeye is delivering incorrect judgements.

I'm conflicted. Part of me thinks it's totally ridiculous to have this level of tech to implement the offside rule and part of me welcomes the idea that mistakes should (?) be a thing of the past.

A large part of me would like to get rid of all tech, except the 'is it a goal or not?' stuff. We tried the other ideas (VAR etc) and they turned out to be crap. I'd accept a return to the old 'blind ref and 2 corrupt linesmen' system that's served us well since before time began.

Even tried & tested electronic systems aren't as good as they're made out to be. I've been watching Wimbledon and you can tell that several players have been convinced that Hawkeye is delivering incorrect judgements.

I would rather trust technology than referees for decisions that are binary.

Offside and whether the ball goes over the line shouldn't be open to interpretation.

I would rather trust technology than referees for decisions that are binary.

Offside and whether the ball goes over the line shouldn't be open to interpretation.
The only thing that still remains open to interpretation is when a defender is the last person to touch the ball that ends up with a player (attacking side) standing in an offside position - did they deliberately intend to play the ball or was it deflected (as was the case in CL Final).

But without seeing this in practice it's removes (hopefully) any doubt that exists if the player is offside. With VAR reviews so far, it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately assign if a player was offside because there isn't any time spent on measuring the point of contact on the actual football when played and doesn't take into account the frame rate of the cameras used to review an offside.

If also, this new piece of automation speeds up the review time then great.

But in all honestly, I still wish there was no VAR, no review, no stoppage. The problem still remains now that the game is paused, as it measures something so fine that none of the players involved (attacker & defender) can do anything about regarding their own timing, as the margins to be measured now rely solely on whether the player(s) got lucky or not.

The only thing that still remains open to interpretation is when a defender is the last person to touch the ball that ends up with a player (attacking side) standing in an offside position - did they deliberately intend to play the ball or was it deflected (as was the case in CL Final).

But without seeing this in practice it's removes (hopefully) any doubt that exists if the player is offside. With VAR reviews so far, it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately assign if a player was offside because there isn't any time spent on measuring the point of contact on the actual football when played and doesn't take into account the frame rate of the cameras used to review an offside.

If also, this new piece of automation speeds up the review time then great.

But in all honestly, I still wish there was no VAR, no review, no stoppage. The problem still remains now that the game is paused, as it measures something so fine that none of the players involved (attacker & defender) can do anything about regarding their own timing, as the margins to be measured now rely solely on whether the player(s) got lucky or not.

Don't agree with the last part.... They just have to adapt their runs to whatever the new criteria is.....

STs survived the original advent of the off-side rule.... They'll be fine.

Don't agree with the last part.... They just have to adapt their runs to whatever the new criteria is.....

STs survived the original advent of the off-side rule.... They'll be fine.
The part about the accuracy? If so, how can they (defender or attacker) time their runs to know that their t-shirt arm length is offside by half a cm against the other player's kneecap whilst running at 20mph tracking the flight of a football? (in some cases they run in opposite directions to each other whilst a defender steps up). It's totally and utterly impossible, it's down to luck whether the player is or isn't offside when measuring these margins.

The part about the accuracy? If so, how can they (defender or attacker) time their runs to know that their t-shirt arm length is offside by half a cm against the other player's kneecap whilst running at 20mph tracking the flight of a football? (in some cases they run in opposite directions to each other whilst a defender steps up). It's totally and utterly impossible, it's down to luck whether the player is or isn't offside when measuring these margins.
The rule really should be that if any part of your body is in line with the opposite defender, its not offside. Instead of the edge of attackers body is 1 cm further than the edge of the defenders body. Thats going to be luck.

Capture1.PNG

As can be clearly seen the player about to receive the ball is going to be offside but what if the player who is going to make the pass, slices his pass, and it goes in the (invisible) goal. Is that goal going to be deemed to be offside?

Back
Top Bottom