Fergie stepping down at united.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just found it funny that people were so quick to state as fact that SAF would never ever move upstairs and have a manager work under him.

And now he has.
yeah well, as hell is about to freeze over because we agree on something. I felt duty bound to extract some amusement from the situation.

If Moyes does get the job it proves how fucking stupid some of our fans are to turn their noses up at him. I think he'll do well at United if they appoint him. Mourinho is another obvious choice but how long until he has a row with someone at the club or decides to up sticks and move to another club before the ship sinks?

Isn't that the equivalent of suggesting we were silly to miss out on Bebe and Djemba-Djemba?

Utd make their own decisions / have a completely unique long-term outlook regarding their football as well as club management. Direct comparison to us is impossible and largely unfair

If Moyes does get the job it proves how fucking stupid some of our fans are to turn their noses up at him. I think he'll do well at United if they appoint him. Mourinho is another obvious choice but how long until he has a row with someone at the club or decides to up sticks and move to another club before the ship sinks?

I was anti Moyes, and this changes nothing for me. I hope it is him, not to see Utd fail or anything (as like you, I think it will work out for them) but to see if the argument about Moyes and his shoe string was true after all.

Moyes took in MILLIONS from the sales of Rooney and Lescott among others, and had masses of talent at that club, and I honestly think he was awful in the transfer market and have Everton playing like a rugby team.

If that changes dramatically, as I suspect it will at Utd, it wont be because he has a bigger budget, but because he has Fergie as a mentor.

Isn't that the equivalent of suggesting we were silly to miss out on Bebe and Djemba-Djemba?

Utd make their own decisions / have a completely unique long-term outlook regarding their football as well as club management. Direct comparison to us is impossible and largely unfair
Not at all. Many fans were saying that we were too good for Moyes and that he'd simply waste the transfer money given to him. If Man United appoint him then it's an obvious recommendation by Sir Alex Ferguson who is the greatest manager of the modern era. He knows a lot more than our fans.

I have no problems with people not wanting Moyes at the club because some of the other names were more glamorous etc. But some were suggesting that Martinez were ahead of him in the pecking order when he has much less experience and a poorer CV than Moyes!

Anyway, I was fully 'for' Moyes coming here - I would have been over the moon with either him or AVB. We've made a great appointment by bringing the young man him and I hope he stays with us for years to come.

I was anti Moyes, and this changes nothing for me. I hope it is him, not to see Utd fail or anything (as like you, I think it will work out for them) but to see if the argument about Moyes and his shoe string was true after all.

Moyes took in MILLIONS from the sales of Rooney and Lescott among others, and had masses of talent at that club, and I honestly think he was awful in the transfer market and have Everton playing like a rugby team.

If that changes dramatically, as I suspect it will at Utd, it wont be because he has a bigger budget, but because he has Fergie as a mentor.
why have you put millions in capitals? especially as the first word in that sentence is wrong, it was Everton, unless you are suggesting there is an account in Monaco somewhere called 'ginger jock enterprises 2004'

Not at all. Many fans were saying that we were too good for Moyes and that he'd simply waste the transfer money given to him.

Actually, I remember many fans saying they didn't enjoy Moyes' football in particular and that he hadn't exactly set the transfer market alight over the last decade - all valid concerns, imv

If Man United appoint him then it's an obvious recommendation by Sir Alex Ferguson who is the greatest manager of the modern era. He knows a lot more than our fans.

If Man Utd appoint him - that is their decision and one in line with their (long-term) objectives - much like signing a specific player who fits within a carefully moulded setup. And because he might be successful there (potentially) does not mean he would have been able to replicate it over here - and vice versa of course

My reluctance with Moyes was because he hadn't won anything and his CV was poorer than Arry's in that regard. At least with AVB, there was the experience of winning a treble and working with Mourinho etc.

Obviously all of their situations were a bit different, but when Sir Alex came to United he was already proven as a European winning manager in Scotland.

My fave is 'Fergie is all I've ever known' Is there a Surrey Supporter over the age of 30? If there is, I liken that to an adult dressing Full Kit Wanker stylee, you should know better by now.

There is one in my office who is a Sussex Supporter. God that's even worse isn't it? His whole family is Spurs as well (as in proper Season Ticket style Spurs) and he delights in telling everyone how he rebelled :goonermong: (He actually looks a bit like that)

Moyes would've been a poor fit for us as would've been Rodgers. IMHO we'd be a lot worse off if either of those took the reigns. Problem with Moyes at Man U is that he is a bit of an unknown entity when it comes to what he does when he is given 80 mill to spend.A punt on a diamond in a rough is a lovely little find for Everton but what about the next Rooney/RVP/Giggs etc that are expected to come in guns a'blazing. I kind of liken it all to a low budget film maker, can make cracking little films with no money but what would happen if you chucked them into the next LOTR movie to make? Obviously Red Nose would be over seeing to probably avoid such an argument tbh.

The Mourinho thing I'm not sure about either. He'll deff bring them success, but look at his record, he doesn't hang about once he gets bored. Are Man U really going to go for him as a long term replacement and he buggers off after 2 years.

I think the fact of the matter is that there aren't many managers about anymore that are not ever going to be that long term again, not even close.

Don't get why people think Moyes has done badly in the transfer market.

Anyone can convince a player to join United (champions and former CL champions, massive brand, big money) or City (big money to make up for lack of class) or even Chavs (see City but add, in London not some northern hellhole).

But to convince any player to join a team regarded as second fiddle in the same city as Liverpool FC, without the 'brand appeal' of their neighbour, when they won't be on much money, and will more than likely burn half that cash on new car wheels and muggings every other week, and have to live near liverpool.

The man's a fucking genius frankly.

why have you put millions in capitals? especially as the first word in that sentence is wrong, it was Everton, unless you are suggesting there is an account in Monaco somewhere called 'ginger jock enterprises 2004'

Why do you break down everything I say so much. Ok So Arry never spent? It was Spurs?

King Kenny never spent? It was Liverpool?

Come on man, play the game. And I put MILLIONS because people always act as though Moyes only ever had a few pork scratchings to trade with come the summer and January, yet when you consider he (or if you prefer, Everton) had 55M from the sale of only Lescott and Rooney, I dont see the argument.

Wheres the 24M from Arteta and Rodwell?

Don't get why people think Moyes has done badly in the transfer market.

Anyone can convince a player to join United (champions and former CL champions, massive brand, big money) or City (big money to make up for lack of class) or even Chavs (see City but add, in London not some northern hellhole).

But to convince any player to join a team regarded as second fiddle in the same city as Liverpool FC, without the 'brand appeal' of their neighbour, when they won't be on much money, and will more than likely burn half that cash on new car wheels and muggings every other week, and have to live near liverpool.

The man's a fucking genius frankly.

I think he's done an excellent job at Everton with the money he's had available. You can list all the players who are now established in the Prem as good players, who he signed for not much at all, but I'd say there aren't many strikers in that list. When he's been given a bit more money than usual, he's usually tried to buy a striker with it and I'd say his forward purchases are a real mixed bag.

Because he sold key players for about 70M, and spent about 2M in about 4yrs.

What? That makes absolutely no sense. So AVB should be blamed for us selling VDV and Modric?

Everton have to sell players on a consistent basis to remain financially solvent it seems. The fact that Moyes keeps them as a top 8 team despite losing £70m worth of talent as you say (most of which he bought for a fraction of that price I might add) and not being given the money to replace them shows that he's an excellent manager.

Back
Top Bottom