FavoUrite XI

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty much the thread title, just interested to know what everyone's favorite spurs team over the years growing up have been. Doesn't have to be the best team, you'll most likely have some spurs players on your team that had an awful time at Tottenham, but because of one great moment they are.

So here's mine going back to the early 2000's.......

Paul Robinson.
Loved him in goal for us and that sense of pride that England's no.1 played for us. Then again the other choices was David James and Chris Kirkland. Still he was better then the 'great' Kasey Keller.

Stephen Carr.
Yes I've gone for Carr in his last few seasons at spurs but lets face it, it was during the time I started watching spurs when we had the likes of Noel Pamoarot, Stephen Kelly and Paul Ifill at right back. (remember him?)

Ledley King.
Enough said. *sobs*

Jonathan Woodgate.
How can you not like him.... unless you're Leeds fan. His brilliant timed face into the ball which won us the Carling Cup I will always remember. And yes he did mean it!

Benoit Assou- Ekotto. LOL.
It was a close one between him and Timothee Atouba but Benny just edged it with his hair. Seriously though its been a while since we had a decent left back. He may make mistakes lol, he maybe too honest at times lol but you can't help but lol when you see him lol.

Simon Davies.
This may come at a surprise to some of you I picked him over Aaron Lennon, but he's one of my favorite players for spurs at the time and not just for right wing. I played in the same position as him when I was a kid and instantly loved him for spurs. This maybe one of the reasons I never made it as a professional. He done his job and was great for us.

Gus Poyet.
I'm going to be honest it doesn't feel nice having an ex Chelsea player in my Fav XI, but lets face it he scored some great goals for us and got us out of the shit many times.

Rafael Van der Vaart.
Before you say it I know he didn't really play centre midfield for us but fuck it he played everywhere and I had to put him in. What a buy and what a player. He showed what it really meant playing for spurs. Passion! Oh and shhhhhing infront of the scum. Love it.

Gareth Bale.
Greatest player I've every seen play for us. 25 goals in all competitions for us this season, not bad for a left back eh. He literally has everything, he can be whatever he likes and I just hope he stays with us for a little longer.

Robbie Keane.
Without doubt my favorite striker for spurs. He gave everything for spurs and Wolves, Coventry, Leeds, Inter, Liverpool, West Ham, Celtic, Aston Villla and now finally his boyhood club LA Galaxy. If there ever was a player that was worth 75 million its Robbie Keane. You cannot say he wasn't great for spurs, double scoring figures in 6 consecutive seasons, over 100 goals for spurs and he organises great Christmas parties. Doesn't he Harry ;)

Dimitar Berbatov.
I can't help but put him in. Yes he left like a cunt, but what I'll do to have a player like him for us upfront now. He made us look good.

I24I

etc, etc

1.Jennings

2.Kinnear 5.King 6. Mabbutt 3. Knowles

8. Gascoigne 4. McKay 10.Hoddle 11. Bale

7. Berbatov 9. Greaves

12. Clemence

13. Carr

14. Gough

15. Mullery

16. Lineker

17. Klinsmann

18. Ginola

if you can only nominate players you have actually seen play, then it just shows how many "old timers" don't bother voting in these polls. The best ever 11 should include at least the nucleus of the Double Team - Mackay, Blanchflower, Jones, White, Smith - at the very minimum.

Stevie Carr? Bloody Carr?

Don't you remember he left us for and I quote "A bigger club"
How'd that one work out for you Stephen? He can fuck off if he thinks he is getting in my favourite XI.

-------------------Robinson------------
Taricco-------King--------Dawson----Edman
--------------------Freund------------------
Lennon--------Zokora-----Sandro------Bale
------------------Sheringham-------------

Im going by pure likeability.

Honorable mentions to VDV, Gomes, and Poyet.
one beat his wife, the other defends a racist.

I'm a younger fan than all of you for me it's got to be..
Robinson
Assou Ekotto King Dawson LYP
Lennon Sandro Zakora Bale
Pavlyuchenko Defoe

(Pavlyuchenko - haters gonna hate)

Bloody hell. All of them engineered a move elsewhere to join a "bigger club" yet they are in your favourite XI?
Each to their own, I suppose.
There is no loyalty in modern football, imv - unless this is about some moral righteous circle jerk of who is least likely to put in a transfer request

They are great players and brought some fantastic moments to Spurs

this is hard, but will give it a go, going to only include players that I have seen live and that I really l loved (so no space for anyone who did the dirty on us). By the way, I don't know my left from right so may get the full backs/wingers a bit mixed up :confused:
Pat Jennings (best keeper I have ever seen)
Stevie P (just because I love him ... have I mentioned that before?)
Ledley King (best defender I have seen, bar none)
Gary Mabbutt (versatile to boot)
Cyril Knowles (sheer entertainment value)
Daveed Ginola (sex on legs and not a bad footballer either)
Glen Hoddle (how you can have a best Spurs XI without him is beyond me)
Gazza ( he nearly won the FA Cup on his own in '91 and for that goal against Le Scum at Wembley)
Gareth Bale (not sure where he's going to fit in but how can I leave him out?)
Jimmy Greaves (a scoring machine - how we could do with him now!)
Martin Chivers (another great goal scorer)
Bench: Eric the Viking, Ossie, Ricky Villa, Nayim (for THAT goal, even if he wasn't playing for us at the time), Alan Gilzean, Jan, Jan, Super Jan

Now how about the Worst Spurs X1?????????????

Saw my first Spurs game way back in 1969, so a fair few favourites to choose from. Definitely not the team I would have picked if it had been the best XI.

Paul Robinson - Haven't seen a keeper with a better rapport with, and appreciation of Spurs fans.
Steve Perryman (capt) - My favourite Spurs player of all time and a gentleman with it.
Graham Roberts - Would run through brick walls for Spurs. And he tackled Charlie Nicholas so hard once, that Nicholas ended up in the crowd.
Ledley King - Enough said.
Chris Hughton - Classy player, classy bloke.
David Ginola - Great player, gave us so much joy in that era of pain.
Sandro - 100% Spurs machine.
Alfie Conn - Just for his hair and moustache. And the slogan of the wall outside the East Stand "Alfie Conn is God" painted in white paint. It was there for years.
Gareth Bale - For the pleasure and hope he has given us.
Chris Jones - Average striker who didn't score many goals, but he always gave 100%. And just when he got a run in the side & scored a few goals, he would get injured and have to battle his way back again.
Jurgen Klinsmann - The best striker I have seen at Spurs (although Greaves was still there when I first started going, he was past his best).

Subs
Erik Thorsvedt - I caught one of his gloves that he threw into the crowd once. And somebody behind me snatched it out of my hand.
Benoit Assou-Ekotto - For the LOLs.
Gary Mabbutt - 100% Spurs and for being such a great bloke. And playing at the level he did despite his diabetes.
Glenn Hoddle - A thing of beauty.
Paul Gascoigne - For the laughter, the skill and the memory of getting us to the FA Cup final almost single handedly in '91. I remember seeing him score a back-heeled volley from about 30 yards in a pre-match warm up vs Wimbledon. The crowd in the stadium at the time, just a few thousand gave him a standing ovation for it.
Tony Galvin - Lovely left winger and a real sly, dirty bastard too.
Dimitar Berbatov - There, I've said it.

Charles Ambler​
Tom Collins Ted Hughes Danny Steel Jack Jull​
Jimmy Dimmock Bert Smith Steffen Freund Fanny Walden​
John Cameron Sandy Brown​

Favourites:

Lloris
Carr - Ledley - Doherty - Edman/BAE
Ginola - Sandro - Van der Vaart - Bale
Iversen - Soldado​

Edman purely for that goal against the Scousers. Soldado hasn't done anything for us yet but I loved him from his Valencia days so I shall stick by him! Every time I scored when I was younger people called me Iversen (I think it's the blonde hair) so he was always a favourite. Doherty just for being utter shit, I mean he realy really is awful. The rest are fairly sel-explanatory!

Probably already covered off, but Carr left us for Newcastle following his long injury crisis and having looked a shadow of his former self in that season. We got the best out of him before those injuries when he was without a doubt the most dangerous and exciting fullback in the league. When I used to write articles for Spurs Update (before it turned into Glory Glory) there was a seperate award given out for MOTMWISC (Man of the Match who isn't Stephen Carr) each week... that's how good he was.

Anyways, I know this thread is about likability not ability exactly, but the most likeable thing about Carr was his attacking game before his injury. There wasn't a great deal to like about Carr's game by the time we sold him to Newcastle.

Thorstvedt

Carr
King
Mabbutt
BAE

Waddle
Gazza
Freund
Ginola

Lineker
Sheringham

Bench:
Robinson
Jose Dominguez
Sandro
Bale
VDV
Klinsmann

Berba, while great to watch (for half a season when he felt like playing) was always a miserable git. Robbie Keane also seemed to moan a lot as well. I liked Bale's workrate and attitude but Ginola had the edge in personality on and off the pitch. Thorstvedt just over Robbo but you have to love the way Robinson engaged with the fans, especially the Park Lane.

Last edited:
-----------------------Lloris---------------------
Corluka------Woodgate-----King-----BAE
Anderton-----Modric----Sandro-------Bale
-------------------Gascoigne------------------
----------------Van Der Vaart-----------------
----------------------Kane-----------------------

fuck you
I sense this post is;

463.jpg

GK-Robinson - seemed a decent bloke, solid keeper although a bit suspect with long range efforts
RB- Anderton - fuck off he played wing back in the World Cup so I'm sneaking him in as right back. A legend, great passer and was absolute dynamite in his debut season.
LB- Zeige - was a bit past it and riddled when he arrived with us but his class was still there. Glided across the grass and had a wand of left peg. is free kick against the scum was sentational as was his goal in the 3-5 calamity against utd.
CB- King - trememndous ability and pace, fucked by injury and heavy drinking.
CB -Mabbutt - total good guy and 100% spurs. Had his moments but totally committed and made ammends for fucking up in 87 by lifting the cup in 91.
CM - Gascoigne - genius, worked hard and inspired team mates. A total nutcase - I've not seen a more ludicrous 15 minutes than his cup final - totally pumped.
CM - Hoddle - awesome skill and passing, and years ahead of the game. Scorer of great goals. Total Legend.
AM - Waddle - his season in 88-89 was unbelievable, incredible goals, and classic Spurs we sold him at his peak.
AM - Ginola - remarkable balance, two footed strong and fucking sexy. Makes Chadli look like susan boyle
CF Clive Allen - a machine, two footed, huge head, strong and quick. His season was incredible, so clinical and scored from nothing chances.
CF Klinsmann - the best (maybe 2nd to Clive, sorry Gary) striker I've seen at the lane. Did everything in the game and his enthusiasm was a joy to see. Sugar was out of order to him and he still came back. Great player.
subs
Thorstvedt
Gough
Sedgely
Nayim
Modric
Bale
Sheringham
Lineker

Jennings
D.Thomas - Roberts - King - Hughton
Perryman(c)
Gascoigne - Hoddle - Waddle
Lineker - Archibald

Subs : Thorstevdt, Mabbutt, Howells, Ardiles, Ginola, Sheringham, Klinsmann.

OR

Jennings
Perryman(c) - King - Mabbutt - Hughton
Roberts
Gascoigne - Hoddle - Waddle
Sheringham
Lineker

Subs : Clemence, Woodgate, D.Thomas, Ardiles, Ginola, Archibald, Klinsmann.

Back
Top Bottom