Everton - Spurs - Feb 3rd - 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Teams are playing a high press and we’re not prepared.
We put ourselves under pressure by passing it round our box til it's too late, like muppets.

Not easy anyway when in front of you there's Hoj, who moves with the speed of a blind one-legged sloth and who can't pass for shit...and Bentancur, who's been playing like the kid they hated at Juventus. Even Mads was off it in the first half.

Earlier in the season we had a mentality of killing teams off when we were up and we have lost that in recent months I feel.

The biggest thing that needs working on for the remainder of the season and before next season is Ange really drilling in the mentality of fighting to the final whistle in every single game and being brave enough to try and kill the game when you are on top.

Aside from a few exceptions; we haven't truly combined dominant performances with 3 points all season....

I just don't think we're that team yet. Especially in attacking terms.

Could do with being able to play a settled MF again too...... Which hasn't been the case since Biss's card at Luton.

Last edited:
Genuinely think we need to bring in a new first team coach to sort our defence out.

We've got excellent players, but are all over the fucking place at times.
Over the first 10 league games, we conceded 9, less than 1 a game.

Starting with the Chavs implosion, we’ve conceded 26 goals in 13 games, exactly 2 a game. If you’re leaking goals at that rate, you’re going to concede injury time equalisers like we did today at Everton, or 2 in injury times at Wolves. There’s been plenty of games where we rode our luck as well, to hang on, Everton at home in particular springing to mind.

Our defending really needs to smarten up.

Gil in particular.

Nothing personal but it’s genuinely like playing with 10 at times when he’s on.
Tarkowski crunched him at one point and gave him a little patronising pat on the back after as if he had tackled a child plucked from the crowd.

It’s ridiculous we’re still giving him minutes.

Regardless of his future here he did nothing wrong today.... And certainly had nothing to do with the late equaliser.

People calling him out today are just 'punching down'.

Just watch the Villa game before Marty cash took him out , wait till we see him fitter and next to BISS Or Sarr

He was quality against Man U too (who are pretty soft in MF).

Just wonder if a little 'fear' has crept into his game as a result of the double injury..... Is he perhaps shrinking a bit when the oppo are putting themselves about like Everton & Brentford did....?

Last edited:
Regardless of his future here he did nothing wrong today.... And certainly had nothing to do with the late equaliser.

People calling him out today are just 'punching down'.
He didn’t do anything though. He never does.

What is the point in bringing on a player in his position that we know is going to have absolutely zero effect on the football match?

From an emotional standpoint I can understand the frustration of not winning. But from a realistic point of view. A draw away at Goodison really isn't the end of the world.

Most of you have said it. We didn't deserve to win. So therefore to not lose isn't a bad result. Would your opinion on a draw have been any different if it was us equalising in the 94th minute instead after that performance?

We weren't good enough today. But we move on and thank fucking God we don't have to come up against a team like Everton again. They'll cause Liverpool just as many problems when they rock up to Goodison in a month or so time.

Three home games on the bounce coming up. Win those. Get 9 points and we see where we are.

Being a bit realistic I said I'd have taken 13 points from 15 from Brentford, Everton, Brighton, Wolves and Palace. Still on course for it.

Could have been alot worse today.

Even if we'd won that was absolutely shit - again - and conceding late on just confirms that.

Sorry lads but not liking this at the moment, last couple of months performances have been patchy at best and I haven't really enjoyed them. People can make excuses about the players we've had missing but before Xmas we might have been losing games like Villa and West Ham but we were completely dominating and knocking the ball around nicely and playing some really sharp stuff.

Everton x 2, Bournemouth, Brentford the other day, and others in recent weeks we only do stuff in moments, possession play has got really shoddy, we struggle to control and keep the game played in the opponents half and it gets end to end and we're wide open and look really vulnerable. Some days we get away with it, today we didn't.

They've got to knock their heads together and get performances back up to what they were earlier in the season.
Ariana Grande Applause GIF by The Voice

I’m not sure where this set piece anxiety came from because I seem to remember most of the year we have been incredible on both sides of set pieces.

I believe we were the last team to concede from a corner in the league. It’s come out of no where that we look like conceding on every dead ball.
Its not come out of nowhere. I've noticed the signs from the start. We got away with it because we started the season defending set pieces with a ridiculously high line. Combined with some poor finishing from the opposition and luck we managed to escape at the start of the season.

But since, we have dropped our line deeper, and luck has run out a little.

Teams have had plenty of chances to score against us from set pieces throughout the whole season.

We also concede more fouls in our own half now because we haven't been able to keep possession of the ball in the opposition half. Our midfield hasn't been great as a unit for while, we play patches of the game well but not dominate long stretches. This has coincided with Bissouma losing form, and constant rotation needed of Sarr, Skipp, PEH, Bentancur and Maddison. There's no consistency in the middle there.

Losing the midfield is also a big deal because we can't use our wingers. We leave Werner and Johnson up, if the midfield can't get the ball to them quick enough it's the same as playing with 9 men. Werner and Johnson don't track back so they are anonymous in the game.
When you can get them 2 going forward like Brentford we look dangerous as a team, but the midfield have to win that battle first.

Back
Top Bottom