European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Doing the rounds I see a lot of fans of other clubs scratching their heads at our inclusion in this list.

But the more I think about it the more I get the feeling that Levy is a major player in this.

When you think about the ENIC model over the past 10-15 years, the upgrades to the training ground, the stadium. I don't think it was a question of Levy worming us into this thing, I actually think he's been at the heart of this thing from the 1st minute.

The players have had no say in this. Surely you can't ban them internationally for something the club ownership have done?

If all the players said no to this then i don’t see how it could go ahead. There must be some of them with some backbone- I mean they can hardly be desperate for the money

Please for the love of God let this pile of steaming turd collapse. We will forever be known as one of the traitor clubs, whatever happens.

The Sky Is Falling Reaction GIF

Sadly this is true - we are mostly old men on here shouting about something changing

Ultimately the sport has to adapt to thrive and needs the interest of young people
That has nothing to do with young people. Football is the most popular sport in Europe and also the most popular for the youth. The new fans are those you are not european.

Sadly this is true - we are mostly old men on here shouting about something changing

Ultimately the sport has to adapt to thrive and needs the interest of young people

Are you serious? The sport is financially thriving like crazy. The economy of the elite clubs has been booming has been booming for decades. This is as much needed as Trumps tax cuts for the American economy.

A lot of things about this are true...

1. The new ESL is absolutely worse than the current setup in terms of sport and the spirit of competition

2. It's a bit rich of UEFA/the EPL/etc. to be clamoring on about how pious they have been when they've been continually trying to milk the competitions for even more and more money

3. The sport is already, de-facto, in a super league. Just about all of the clubs invited (bar the likes of us and the scum) already use the immense wealth to dominate their domestic leagues and the Champions League. It's a bit funny to me the likes of Man United talking about how pure and fair the competition has been UNTIL NOW. This is even more so the case with the likes of Barca and Real Madrid where their league split of TV revenue is heavily skewed to them.

4. If it is happening, it is surely better for us to be in it than out.

All that said, it absolutely fucking sucks. It's not the first step to the game being gone, but it's kind of like the 7th step and the last big one that brings it over the line. It's certainly good for "Spurs" to be in it but I'm not really sure what "Spurs" even means anymore and if it's something I want to support.

This is what happens when you let capital dictate everything about your society.

Doing the rounds I see a lot of fans of other clubs scratching their heads at our inclusion in this list.

But the more I think about it the more I get the feeling that Levy is a major player in this.

When you think about the ENIC model over the past 10-15 years, the upgrades to the training ground, the stadium. I don't think it was a question of Levy worming us into this thing, I actually think he's been at the heart of this thing from the 1st minute.

We have just as much right to be in as Woolwich, we have won 3 European throphies they have won 1. We have also been in it a lot more of late. But neither really deserve it. It’s all about money, we are by assets top 20 club globally and our owner will sell his granny for cash.

Leeds vs Liverpool tonight - will be interesting to see the coverage surrounding that game.

Wonder if bookies are taking bets on whether an anti ESL banner will be flown over the stadium

I'd bet my teeny tiny bollocks that we're bought out by a US entity within two or three years.

The Tottenham Hotspurs Amazon bowl.

So ESL live on Fox Sports, followed by The Brown Town Nugget Farmers vs the Tennessee Chowder Raiders in the Friday night NFL duke off.

Every player will want to be in the ESL make no mistake.

The prestige and money will see to that. It is the top table of football.

Winning a league with Everton is not an achievement when your rival is Burnley. A Champions League final of Zagreb vs Villareal will not have anyone's attention.

I think the international football aspect is a complete bluff. There is no World Cup without the best players in the world.
What prestige? It's got zero history, the clubs will lose their link to their community. It will be a sanitised, americanised franchise form of football and will be all the more ephemeral for it. When attendances for Woolwich dwindle to the point it makes economic sense to up sticks to China, what's to stop them? If nobody is relegated, where's the peril? It just becomes a fight for the title, and a fight that, with all due respect, the true behemoths will win 99 times out of 100.

Re: the money. The money is only there while the audience is, and that audience will sharp get bored because those once special nights where the best of England face the best of Italy are now so commonplace they're tedious. The people who 'support' an elite Spanish team but don't watch them play against Cadiz, are the same people who'd 'support' an ESL team but not watch them play against Woolwich.

If 6 owners are so greedy that all the wealth from the PL, and CL aren't enough for them, then they're missing the point of football completely. there has to be a link to the fans, or it's nothing. Winning the ESL would be no different to winning the Emirates cup. It means nothing, regardless of which teams take part. Fans don't want it, players don't want it, managers don't want it, even some broadcasters are against it.

Back
Top Bottom