Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vfl Wolfsburg - a successful German Bundesliga team. sponsored by VW.

RZ Pellets WAC (Wolfsberger) - a mid-table Austrian outfit who have been drawn against us in the Europa Round of 32. Their wood pellets are very good and may even be the high-quality cat litter pellets my cats* shit into.

Just for clarity.

*and me
That's closer to the truth now isn't it?

:vdvcry:

Last edited:
My complaint is that it looks like we may not have the chance to beat Woolwich ourselves.

:moursad:

Overall great draw. Beside us getting a lesser opponent and avoiding long travel, some of the tougher opposition having to eliminate each other in this round. The stars are aligning.

:mourthumb:

Last edited:
They are 7th in a 12 team league with a -3 GD. :saha:

For comparison, LASK is in 2nd and only two points off Salzburg with a +14 GD.

wolfsberg-lavanttal-arena-aerial.jpg

Capacity 7300.
Surely you just took a picture of an American high school sports field and posted it on here.

Didn't realise they did Wednesday ties in the EL.... Is that a new thing for this year?

I thought the whole point of Thursday games is that there was no overlap with the CL......
I just looked it up.

So it's not a new thing. My interpretation is that endorsement for the near future EL champions.

:moursmall:

This is the kind of game where you leave the entire first 11 home for away leg. No Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lloris travelling. This is a chance to rest and recouperate.

Even if we lose it would be a 1-0 at worst. Then come to the home leg and just smash them. Easy.

A big advantage for our league campaign.

This is the kind of game where you leave the entire first 11 home for away leg. No Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lloris travelling. This is a chance to rest and recouperate.

Even if we lose it would be a 1-0 at worst. Then come to the home leg and just smash them. Easy.

A big advantage for our league campaign.
I think it's the opposite. Going hard on the away games, trying to win and win with a big margin. They want to impress their home fans, so they would play positive. We just take advantage and kill them. We don't want not getting any away goal from this by playing unmotivated B team players.

Then with both away goal advantage, and home advantage for the return leg, we can rotate for the home game, where even fringe players can be motivated by the home fans' support, to see out the ties professionally.

I think it's the opposite. Going hard on the away games, trying to win and win with a big margin. They want to impress their home fans, so they would play positive. We just take advantage and kill them. We don't want not getting any away goal from this by playing unmotivated B team players.

Then with both away goal advantage, and home advantage for the return leg, we can rotate for the home game, where even fringe players can be motivated by the home fans' support, to see out the ties professionally.
Of course they want to go hard, but they're fucking shit. We can beat them with our B team quite comfotably, but we can also afford to leave with a 1-1 or 0-0, because whatever happens there we can just bring out Son and Kane at home to smash them.

Arse and Chelsea did exactly this in their EL campaigns when they both reached the final. They'd often go the far corners of Europe without Hazard, Aubameyang and others. Chelsea went unbeaten the entire campaign. Woolwich often got embarassed away from home with a 1-0 loss or something, but then smashed the same side at home.

Most importantly, they saved the massive fatigue accumilation of all those flights on their biggest stars.

Of course they want to go hard, but they're fucking shit. We can beat them with our B team quite comfotably, but we can also afford to leave with a 1-1 or 0-0, because whatever happens there we can just bring out Son and Kane at home to smash them.

Arse and Chelsea did exactly this in their EL campaigns when they both reached the final. They'd often go the far corners of Europe without Hazard, Aubameyang and others. Chelsea went unbeaten the entire campaign. Woolwich often got embarassed away from home with a 1-0 loss or something, but then smashed the same side at home.

Most importantly, they saved the massive fatigue accumilation of all those flights on their biggest stars.
I believe you got few things mixed up.

Hazard, Aubameyang and keys players all travelled during the KO phase of that season. Hazard didn't travel for the first group stage away game due to his usual new season fitness issue. Only Hazard was afforded not to start in an away game until the Europa League final.

They might not always start these games, but nevertheless all expected there to play a part and they had to in a few occasions. Both teams had to field decent lines up with a mix of starter and back up to get the result. Even with all those reservation, both team form in the league was bad.

Sarri was lucky to win it with both draw of luck, and having the experienced team to carry him. They got brought to a penalty shoot out against Frankfurt to decide the semi final tie. Frankfurt IMO played better, and unlucky to be eliminated. It's not the good example to learn from.

I believe you got few things mixed up.

Hazard, Aubameyang and keys players all travelled during the KO phase of that season. Hazard didn't travel for the first group stage away game due to his usual new season fitness issue. Only Hazard was afforded not to start in an away game until the Europa League final.

They might not always start these games, but nevertheless all expected there to play a part and they had to in a few occasions. Both teams had to field decent lines up with a mix of starter and back up to get the result. Even with all those reservation, both team form in the league was bad.

Sarri was lucky to win it with both draw of luck, and having the experienced team to carry him. They got brought to a penalty shoot out against Frankfurt to decide the semi final tie. Frankfurt IMO played better, and unlucky to be eliminated. It's not the good example to learn from.
My recollection of it is different, maybe cos Woolwich kept losing/drawing those away games. Still, we should be able to beat Wolfsberger AC without having to take Kane and Son in the travelling squad.

Back
Top Bottom