Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Here's another thing, I was never entirely comfortable with the "You play Thursdays coz you're fucking shite" jibes.

Historically, we're a UEFA Cup team. One that punched way above it's weight and luckily got to a European Cup final, but a UEFA Cup team nonetheless.

I would give my right nut to win our trophy back
The original UEFA Cup team even.

Yay Thursday night pointless matches..cannot wait.
Just think if we had actually pulled our finger out slightly earlier in this fucked up season we could f somehow got into the champions league like united have...just shows how poor in quality this league has become, shit season and shit football all around.
Thank god its over, just a shame that its coming back so soon tbh.
I used to love looking forwards to a new season but I no longer have any excitement or anticipation, as i already know we will show no ambition and will not sign anyone worth having..thanks levy for destroying my enjoyment of this once great game..

Oh fuck off forever you worthless worm

11th consecutive season in Europe - and we found more than one season in Europe difficult to come by 20 years ago.

Really not sure why anyone turns their noses up at EL - its a trophy

Hard work though I know

But if we were out of europe, we would certainly complain
Exactly this. We had far too many years of not even getting close to qualifying for it, maybe a few people too young to remember when we were really shit! Jose will be going all out to win it and hopefully will have the boys actually believing that we can. Still a cup I’d like to see us lift ( still the UEFA in my mind)! COYS!

One additional point to consider for those who might not be aware: the TV money/prize funds for the Europa League have increased significantly since the last time we were in it. Not as much as the CL, but it'll still make a big difference for transfer funds etc.

It's not glamorous, but fuck it... I had some unbelievable trips in the Europa years back, going to countries you don't see in the CL. Now looking forward to getting a good group draw with a decent away.

Can’t wait for everyone to tell us it is a pointless cup when we win it next season , I don’t give a fuck though European champions here we come!

Toughest possible opponent by far in the qualifiers is AC Milan, who could be an unseeded team in the playoff round. Other than that we should be favourites, normally very heavy favourites, against whoever we draw if we do have to play them.

One additional point to consider for those who might not be aware: the TV money/prize funds for the Europa League have increased significantly since the last time we were in it. Not as much as the CL, but it'll still make a big difference for transfer funds etc.

We’re hopefully looking at a decent slab when it comes to it, which will no doubt please the board, the manager and help with match day revenue lost with the extra games.

Most importantly however, we go into a competition where we will be one of the favourites, and a competition that if you win gets you Champions League football which significantly gives us a greater chance of reaching that level again come 10-11 months time. All in all it’s good we qualified, let’s hope we don’t need to faff around with the qualifier in September.

We’re hopefully looking at a decent slab when it comes to it, which will no doubt please the board, the manager and help with match day revenue lost with the extra games.

Most importantly however, we go into a competition where we will be one of the favourites, and a competition that if you win gets you Champions League football which significantly gives us a greater chance of reaching that level again come 10-11 months time. All in all it’s good we qualified, let’s hope we don’t need to faff around with the qualifier in September.
All valid points. Additionally, I want to see a winning mentality instilled into this team. There's a reason that, even in their worse years, you see Chelsea going deep into these cups and/or winning them. The Europa League can be a rung on the ladder to do that as well as being rather fun in the knockout part.

Toughest possible opponent by far in the qualifiers is AC Milan, who could be an unseeded team in the playoff round. Other than that we should be favourites, normally very heavy favourites, against whoever we draw if we do have to play them.
You had to say it...

b20f113d5b59c8ec026d2b3556f2cdd3.gif

It's ok if we cover positions in the squad in the window.

Also, flogging Harry again will only lead to another injury.

And judging by Son's form, we might not be able to rely on him coming in for Kane and producing like he did for some of Kane's past injuries.

Viable cover for Kane is critical imo.

If I were JM I'd try to ration Kane's game time in 20/21, so limit him to maybe 45 starts in the season, so no EL before Group stages (except maybe off bench) etc.

But I actually think we are better off than we were this time last season to cover a short term injury to Kane, if we assume Son plays there we still have Bergwijn, Moura, Lamela, Dele and Sessegnon to play in the AM role with maybe Parrott on the bench. And maybe Lo Celso if Ndombele plays in CM.

Not saying that a viable cover for Kane isn't on my shortlist just after a RB and DM.

But we need more of our AM's to step up with goals and assists - we used to have Kane/Son/Dele/Eriksen getting 20+ goals and assists combined for about 4 seasons in a row, but currently only have 2 of them doing that, so two of the others need to step up..

Yay Thursday night pointless matches..cannot wait.
Just think if we had actually pulled our finger out slightly earlier in this fucked up season we could f somehow got into the champions league like united have...just shows how poor in quality this league has become, shit season and shit football all around.
Thank god its over, just a shame that its coming back so soon tbh.
I used to love looking forwards to a new season but I no longer have any excitement or anticipation, as i already know we will show no ambition and will not sign anyone worth having..thanks levy for destroying my enjoyment of this once great game..

On a league table since Mourinho took over, we were 4th in the table, 5 points more than Chavs. Too much time wasted in sacking Pochettino. He should have gone after Bayern Munich. He lasted 5 more league matches, of which we won 0, drew 3 lost 2, 12 points dropped there, including a hammering at Brighton, Home draw to bottom of the table Watford, conceding a 96th minute equaliser at Everton and a home draw to Sheffield United.

It's not glamorous, but fuck it... I had some unbelievable trips in the Europa years back, going to countries you don't see in the CL. Now looking forward to getting a good group draw with a decent away.
That's the difference I think. Champions league you get to go to beautiful cities and then spend a fucking fortune for your beer and food. Europa league you visit strange places where it's 3p for a sirloin steak, 2 pints of lager and a taxi home. Also you can take luxuries with you like AA batteries, 5 and 13 amp fuses, mars bars, Johnson cotton buds and disposable lighters and make a fortune selling them to rival fans.
Bring it on i say :thumbup:

Not the same as CL, but the Europa isn't that bad. Potential for some glory nights. My only bug bear is the bullshit of CL dropouts turning up in the knockouts.

Anyone know if we go straight to the group stage with 6th?

Back
Top Bottom