Europa League 2012-13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

mad said:
and i wonder why Anderlecht

Belgium are the lowest ranked country (15th, I think) that get an automatic place in the group stages. As there is only a finite amount of automatic qualifiers, somebody had to lose out to accommodate the chavs.

brighty said:
mad said:
and i wonder why Anderlecht

Belgium are the lowest ranked country (15th, I think) that get an automatic place in the group stages. As there is only a finite amount of automatic qualifiers, somebody had to lose out to accommodate the chavs.

In a way it is bad for my country because we are struggling to get our coëfficient high enough to get a automatic qualifier and the money and experience that comes from playing in the CL could help our league raise the current level of play (its pretty bad really). But Anderlecht are the biggest and by far richest club in my country and they always act like they have the right to buy however they want from the smaller clubs and have very questionable morals (as do most people in football). They are the first to condemn clubs and if the same kind of situation happens to them they seem to suffer from alzheimer all of a sudden. So fuck em.

Belgian Spur said:
In a way it is bad for my country because we are struggling to get our coëfficient high enough to get a automatic qualifier and the money and experience that comes from playing in the CL could help our league raise the current level of play (its pretty bad really). But Anderlecht are the biggest and by far richest club in my country and they always act like they have the right to buy however they want from the smaller clubs and have very questionable morals (as do most people in football). They are the first to condemn clubs and if the same kind of situation happens to them they seem to suffer from alzheimer all of a sudden. So fuck em.

On the plus side though, they are my feeder club in Footie Manager and have helped me bring a great many South Americans and Africans to these shores.
:baletroll:

On a serious note, they will probably end up first seeds though, so will get an easier playoff draw so will no doubt make the groups anyway.

pedrivo said:
Here's the solution: the EL's winners must qualify for the UCL

or make it so every domestic leagues season ends with certainty over what their final place means - the integrity of the 'best' leagues is a joke with the current rules

sammyspurs said:
Fuck everyone else, why cant we have a laugh, and enjoy the games, and get pissed and go nuts?
No alcohol on European nights :baletroll:

Also I read (possibly on here?) that prices have to be fixed from the start of the season, so we couldn't just let people in for £5 each for the group games then smack it up to £50 for the semi-final if we got that far.

I'd like to take it seriously but know it isn't going to happen, we'll go out in the groups again (seriously, stick money on it, the odds will be great). If we do ignore it though, we should seriously be looking at a title shot. I'm not deluded, we've proved we can be up there after 25 games this season, if we ignore 'the blip' we wouldn't be that far behind.

Abbey Yid said:
sammyspurs said:
I'd like to take it seriously but know it isn't going to happen, we'll go out in the groups again (seriously, stick money on it, the odds will be great). If we do ignore it though, we should seriously be looking at a title shot. I'm not deluded, we've proved we can be up there after 25 games this season, if we ignore 'the blip' we wouldn't be that far behind.

...yeah, and if you 'ignore' RvP & 90th minute goals, ArseAnal would've been relegated!!

Unfortunately, things like RvP, last-minute goals and a 10-point/9-game fuck-up of monumental proportions are IMPOSSIBLE to ignore... they happened!

1882 said:
Abbey Yid said:
sammyspurs said:

...yeah, and if you 'ignore' RvP & 90th minute goals, ArseAnal would've been relegated!!

Unfortunately, things like RvP, last-minute goals and a 10-point/9-game fuck-up of monumental proportions are IMPOSSIBLE to ignore... they happened!

Thats not my quote you posted.......quote properly Ant (or Dec)

sammyspurs said:
1882 said:
[b:283tkud4]Abbey Yid[/b] NOT Sammyspur said:

Thats not my quote you posted.......quote properly Ant (or Dec)

he-he-he!!

Shit, sorry dude, got confused as to who said what... I think it's amended-a-roony now!!!

Dunno about anyone else... and I know it was a VERY different competition back then, but some of these images are (FA Cups aside) amongst my fondest EVER supporting Spurs... you can't just sweep that under the carpet by feigning disdain for a competition that have brought us so many wonderful memories...?

url

url
url

url

1882 said:

Oh I know these things happened and will probably continue to happen, my point was that our early season form was incredible and proved that really we're not that far behind the Mancs when we put our minds to it.

Abbey Yid said:
Also I read (possibly on here?) that prices have to be fixed from the start of the season, so we couldn't just let people in for £5 each for the group games then smack it up to £50 for the semi-final if we got that far.

Correct.

You have to tell Uefa from the start what your ticket prices will be - in fairness it protects our away fans as much as anything else as other teams know will be well supported and without this rule we'd get screwed over on ticket prices everywhere.....

Blanchflower said:
Abbey Yid said:

Correct.

You have to tell Uefa from the start what your ticket prices will be - in fairness it protects our away fans as much as anything else as other teams know will be well supported and without this rule we'd get screwed over on ticket prices everywhere.....
Is that a new rule for this year then?

elfutbolnoessexotelefon.jpg

I remember this from earlier in the season, German fans protesting at Bilbao's €90 entry fees. Surely Bilbao can't have set that price from the very start of the competition?

1882 said:
Dunno about anyone else... and I know it was a VERY different competition back then, but some of these images are (FA Cups aside) amongst my fondest EVER supporting Spurs... you can't just sweep that under the carpet by feigning disdain for a competition that have brought us so many wonderful memories...?

[ Image ]
[ Image ][ Image ]
[ Image ]

Bang Fucking On!

Fuck the Champions League - its the cancer of football (with the current champions being a prime example..). Of all my european trips the UEFA cup games were the best, who can forget the tits in Prague (in and out of the ground), mounds of cocaine in Spain, coppers getting thrown off top tiers, brothers getting caught wanking by hotel maids, 10 hour train journeys on the piss through random countries, Joe getting dildo'ed by a stripper, Ricky sleeping in cars, dodgy hotels (sleeping ten to a room), turning up somewhere and the place is full of Spurs two days before the game, the train journey back to Amsterdam after the PSV loss, the beers in Cologne .....cant fucking wait for the roller coaster to start again. Prague III brothers, its on.

To build on football's being as expensive as phone sex,

Manchester United are to speak with UEFA in an attempt to force Athletic Bilbao to reduce their prices for next month's Europa League tie.

United should get about 2,000 tickets for the last-16 second leg contest at the San Mames Stadium on March 15.

However, they have been stunned to discover Athletic intend to charge £77.50 for the tickets, a massive hike on their previous round triumph over Lokomotiv Moscow
Hence, at least one of the following is true:

1. UEFA events can have different prices depending on some variable (round, opponent, whatever)

2. UEFA event prices are not all set at the same time.

If only 1. is true, then Spurs can charge sfa for the group stages and ramp up the price for the later rounds. If only 2. is true, then they can do the same thing. If both are true, then they can do the same thing.

So it surely doesn't seem to be UEFA regulations forcing Spurs into charging for EL group stages matches as though they were PL matches.

What if they set price bands at the beginning of the year and Bilbao just set some crazy bands so that if they played a huge team they could throw it in that band?

But that's what I mean. As far as I understood it, the complaint was that Spurs charge first team prices for U21 matches (group stages of the EL). One response for that was since the prices have to be fixed in advance. The Bilbao example shows that, even if it may be the case that prices have to be fixed in advance, it does not follow from that that all matches must cost the same. If Bilbao can charge £77.50 when Man U comes to town, then Spurs can charge £5 when whatever-minnow-we-arrogantly-make-fun-of-until-their-bare-chested-traveling-fans-outsing-us-and-players-outplay-us shows up at WHL.

Back
Top Bottom