Europa League 2012-13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious said:
henryp0p said:
Thelonious said:
if Redknapp doesn't take it seriously and only plays the kids then it's hard for the fans to take it seriously.

There's no reason why we can't win the EL and finish in the top 4 anyway.

Realistically there is. We don't have the money to build a large enough squad that is capable of seriously battling on both those fronts. When you get into the later stages of the EL the matches aren't easy. Playing your first team midweek and then on a Sunday would have a big effect on the hopes of a top 4 finish. That said, i'd still like us to take it semi-seriously.
What's the difference between Wednesday and Saturday, and Thursday to Sunday? I hate that excuse.

There's the same amount of games in the EL (I think), so there's no reason why we can't make a decent fist of the EL.

There is no difference, but the point is the same. When have you ever seen a team go far in the Champions League and still do very well in the Premier League? Obviously there are a few freaks and anomalies but generally speaking you don't see it. Look at Chelsea this year, 6th in the league because they put so many of their resources and energy into the Champions League.

It's a shit excuse yeah, but it does hold up. If it was as easy as you make it out to be then why did Harry decide to play the kids last year in the competition?

You'll have to ask Redknapp that, I really don't think we have to always go for one or the other. Chelsea finishing 6th is unrelated to the CL imo.

Every team in the CL wants to try and win it, if it goes tits up then fair enough. I don't buy into the assertion that we have to go for one or the other.

kushty said:
Winning the Europa all day long. The game is about glory!!!

Who will be remembered in 30 years time? The team of 12/13 who finished 4th or the team who one the Europa league?

Anyway I can’t deny that going to places such as Milan, Madrid and even Bremen weren't amazing but personally I had much more fun away in the Europe with places like Prague, Braga and Anderlecht.

The Europa league still carries a fair bit of weight on the continent it just seems here in England we write it off. It's still a major European competition which we should be proud to be in.

I think you're spot on with that. I'm still a european away match virgin :crouch: and I hope to change that this season.

henryp0p said:
When have you ever seen a team go far in the Champions League and still do very well in the Premier League? Obviously there are a few freaks and anomalies but generally speaking you don't see it. Look at Chelsea this year, 6th in the league because they put so many of their resources and energy into the Champions League.

It's a shit excuse yeah, but it does hold up. If it was as easy as you make it out to be then why did Harry decide to play the kids last year in the competition?
Not convinced by this. Man U won the treble and double when winning the CL. Liverpool were a top four side when getting to the final for a second time. Woolwich have been to a final and semis and still mounted title challenges and finished in the top four. Chelsea were 2nd in the table in 2008 when the got to the CL final.

It's simply not true that you can't fight on both fronts. You just need players with mental stamina, good management and decent rotation.

Yeah but in those seasons we all know that the competition in the PL was a hell of a lot worse than it is today. The top 4 were nailed on at the beginning of each season ffs..

With the exception of Chelsea this year most teams over the last 5 years who have won the CL have been there or thereabouts to winning their own domestic leagues so the whole Thursday, Sunday argument is bollocks. It’s more of a pain in the arse for supporters than the players.

henryp0p said:
Yeah but in those seasons we all know that the competition in the PL was a hell of a lot worse than it is today. The top 4 were nailed on at the beginning of each season ffs..
That makes no sense at all. If the top four were so nailed on, why have Chelsea and especially Liverpool sunk out of it in recent years?

Smoked Salmon said:
henryp0p said:
That makes no sense at all. If the top four were so nailed on, why have Chelsea and especially Liverpool sunk out of it in recent years?

Because of the rise of Spurs and Manchester City.. In past years there literally was no-one threatening them at all.

henryp0p said:
Smoked Salmon said:
henryp0p said:

Because of the rise of Spurs and Manchester City.. In past years there literally was no-one threatening them at all.
Again, still not convinced. It at least half of the end of season tables for the past decade or so the 5th placed time was only one victory away from 4th. Surely that can't be said to be "no-one threatening them at all".

At the end of the day football is not based on formulas or anything like that. Some say it's money, but then we don't have the money other teams have. Hell, Man U are even poor men compared to Chelsea and City, yet Chelsea are 6th and Man U second. Some say it's stadium size, yet we have a smalled stadium than the likes of Newcastle or Liverpool but managed a title challenge for a while. Some say it's lack of rotation. You seem to be saying it's because of heavy European fixtures, yet when we ourselves got to the CL Qtr Finals we finsihed in the league only one win away from getting back in.

So I don't really think these things happen for "X" reason. I think it's more a case of it being like a food recipe. Get everything right in the correct measures and it comes out nicely. Make mistakes and it ends up in the bin. Anyone can do well in both if the football and full squad is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom