Europa Conference - Mura (A) 25th November 17:45KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing is they didn't give a shit about the EL last season either... They're above it, but the Chavs, Arse & United (who have all reached the final in recent seasons) apparently weren't above it.

For the life of me; I don't know where this shitty attitude comes from..... Does this all trickle back to Poch's "only the biggest prizes matter" mantra?
Happens when your owner is Levy

That 1 point was a safety net. A draw was still a bad result, but with that point, qualification was in our hands with a win over Rennes... Now, we have to win over Rennes and hope that Vitesse don't smash Mura to overtake us on goal difference. We really don't need that. We have fumbled a decent group in a competition we should be going all out for!

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Rennes have already qualified in first place. (despite my earlier complaint that they'll treat this like a cup-final, quite honestly I doubt they will be 100% commited).
2. We're at home.
3. We only lost because we played an hour with 10 men.
4. Vitesse willl have to win 4-0 to beat us to second if we win 1-0.
5. Sess can't play in the next match.

Just a thought but against teams like NS do we really need to play 3 CBs in a back 5? It’s not as if we have any decent CB who can bring the ball out or decent WBs. Would t a back 4 be sufficient with an extra body in midfield suffice? It would certainly give us a bit more control in the middle of the field. I think conte may be ought to look at that and be a little more flexible.
Also in most of the games so far I don’t see any sign of playing on the front foot. Which is what everyone wanted. If he has hadn’t time to implant a tactical footprint then we should at least try to take the gane to the opposition playing a bit more higher up on the front foot. The Leeds first half was like today where we let the opposition have the ball and dominate. Didn’t we all want a manager to come in to release the handbrake and play with some pace, fight and intensity. Don’t think I’ve seen any of that yet. We are still way too slow and lack any movement just relying on the CBS to hit the ball.
Looks like manure are getting Rangnick. Why didn’t we get him instead the Don who so far has been next to useless. He certainly doesn’t have the football knowledge of Rangnick in terms of coaching, vision, , tactics or probably players. This Don guy only knows players through his agent.
I think this is a good post.

I'm not seeing much difference to how we were playing before apart from when conte has a go at the players and they run around with a bit more intensity.

I certainly don't think we have the ability to play with wing backs. The quality isn't there. I said after the first game Conte managed, the first priority in January should be to buy quality wing backs. I think Conte needs to show a bit more flexibility in the setup. We are still playing too narrow and this is really damaging our ability to create anything. I've not followed Conte's career long enough but know he prefers the wing back system. I remember fogueres fogueres saying one of his limitations is tactical inflexibility, so given we don't have good wing backs I don't see much changing.

Kane is playing a lot with his back to goal and being surrounded by 2/3 defenders. Lucas and Son just don't have the space to operate playing in the inside channels.

We respect the opposition far too much. I think 5 defenders and 2 holding players is overkill.

I'm also seeing square pegs in round holes still. Sanchez is dodgy at RCB at the best of times. So why play him at LCB. He got done twice because of it. Dier is used to playing LCB so why not just swap them. He should have kept Rodon on instead of Sanchez.

This doesn't absolve any blame from some of the performances by the players.

I really don't buy this. I don't believe the players don't give a shit about this or didn't give a shit about the Europa. We have been a deteriorating team for 3-4 years, that deterioration has seen us perform badly in the league, which has seen us drop from CL to Europa, worse in league to Europa Conf, hardly surprising we are performing badly in those tournaments - especially when we are doing what most top6 teams do and rotating in the early stages.

Man for man we're fielding sides that should not struggle at the level they're playing at.....

Players like Ndombele, Lo Celso and previously Bale, Kane etc.

For the last 12 months, the common theme has been lackadaisical performances (and fatal errors) from players that believe they should be in the first team; yet time and time again we have to result to bringing the cavalry in the form of Son or whoever.

And I don't think this is a fair stick to beat Poch with. Poch pretty much just dealt with cups the way any coach of a top side deals with cups. We got to semis, two finals. We didn't win a cup because ultimately he and the team weren't good enough on the day(s).

It was a question rather than me beating anyone with a stick....... Yes, we got to certain finals, but he would commonly talked down on those comps; "cups are for egos" etc. and put emphasis on fighting for "big" things. I'm questioning whether or not this rubbed off.

As far as tonight's game goes, we started badly,

Sure did.

but as soon as they scored and kicked us up the arse you couldn't say we didn't try hard,

A wake up call..... One that shouldn't have been necessary given how the rest of this comp. has gone for us thus far..... This was the business end of the group stages.... A game that could have saved us further unwanted games. A focussed proffesional start would set a completely different tone... No panic; maybe Sess doesn't get sent off.

even with ten men we pretty much dominated the game, we're just not very good.

Well that's where the quality and the ambition of the oppo comes into play.

Then again we pretty much had our best 10 on the pitch by then.

our players shouldn't be above winning any trophy, deluded pricks
Same can be said for the fans.

How anyone can say they think this competition is shit and a waste of time, beggars belief.

We don't have the right to say that when we are struggling to get out the group.

We have no right to write off this competition and say concentrate on the league to get EL or CL. We aren't good enough for that.

Our supposed best team got mullered 0-3 to a shit united team that lost 4-1 to Watford. We made heavy weather of a reserve Leeds side. Added to today's defeat.

Get off your high horse...

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Rennes have already qualified in first place. (despite my earlier complaint that they'll treat this like a cup-final, quite honestly I doubt they will be 100% commited).
2. We're at home.
3. We only lost because we played an hour with 10 men.
4. Vitesse willl have to win 4-0 to beat us to second if we win 1-0.
5. Sess can't play in the next match.
Let’s get the f**k out of this shite toilet stupid third rate ‘make money for shite tv channels competition’ ASAP - and allow Antonio Conte and his top top Italian colleagues to get the current Spurs squad loving and enjoying playing football again PLEASE

This post however is a big shout out to the 200 odd nutters that travelled to support the team in the arse end of nowhere.

Fair play. I'm glad Conte mentioned them in the post match interview.

The performance from some players doesn't deserve the loyalty that the fans show.

I wonder if those fans have permission to boo that performance. Or is it still too early???

Watch the first goal. I don't know what he's doing, he just backs himself into the middle of nowhere, he's not backing up Sanchez or marking anyone, not reading what can happen next, just finds himself in a position of complete pointlessness.

To be fair, I've seen Dier do this his whole career too.

Given what actually led to the goal and where the subsequent shot came from..... Isn't that all a bit "what if in an alt. universe" as a basis for one saying they want him gone?

For the last 12 months, the common theme has been lackadaisical performances (and fatal errors) from players that believe they should be in the first team; yet time and time again we have to result to bringing the cavalry in the form of Son or whoever.

But it's been the same story in the league by the first teasers too, that's why we've dropped from CL to Europa Conference. And not all the European shit shows have involved the "non Cavalry".

I didn't really see anything worth a wank from the cavalry tonight either.

It was a question rather than me beating anyone with a stick....... Yes, we got to certain finals, but he would commonly talked down on those comps; "cups are for egos" etc. and put emphasis on fighting for "big" things. I'm questioning whether or not this rubbed off.

He was just realistic about them. If you are rotating (rightly) you can hardly come out and say "of course we are treating the 3rd round of the FA Cup like we do the PL or CL.

Only disingenuous dickheads don't acknowledge this is a reality of the position we are in.

A coach has to manage his squad, rest and rotate, the only chance to do this is against "weaker" opposition.

A wake up call..... One that shouldn't have been necessary given how the rest of this comp. has gone for us thus far.....

Agreed, but this is what happens to bad and/or badly coached teams, and that's what we've been for a long while - it can happen to good teams, it happened to us occasionally when we were - but not as often as it's happening to us the last two/three years- we are not a good team and have not been well coached for a long time.

Loading to the lowest ranked team in all of European football competitions this season is a poor reflection of all involved…
Of course it’s not life and death this tournament , but still, it’s the principle….

But it's been the same story in the league by the first teasers too, that's why we've dropped from CL to Europa Conference. And not all the European shit shows have involved the "non Cavalry".

Indeed not.

However there are still games in the league when we've played well or at least upped our game..... Compare City (H) vs Pacos (A) FFS.... Just in terms of focus, application etc. Both x.early in the season..... New gaffa to impress.

I didn't really see anything worth a wank from the cavalry tonight either.

Oh come on; the 2nd half was a vast improvement.

...That's not to say in such instances we haven't let an inferior team already get a foothold in the game; thus making it harder than it needs to be for anyone called upon to play the cavalry role in said instance.

He was just realistic about them. If you are rotating (rightly) you can hardly come out and say "of course we are treating the 3rd round of the FA Cup like we do the PL or CL.

Only disingenuous dickheads don't acknowledge this is a reality of the position we are in.

A coach has to manage his squad, rest and rotate, the only chance to do this is against "weaker" opposition.

Oh course rotation is a necessity of the course of a long season........ I'm not questioning that for a moment.

Agreed, but this is what happens to bad and/or badly coached teams, and that's what we've been for a long while - it can happen to good teams, it happened to us occasionally when we were - but not as often as it's happening to us the last two/three years- we are not a good team and have not been well coached for a long time.

Every B-team away fixture? Like i said; because of both occasion and new manager ism they should have been focussed and ready......

Of course coaching is important, but it's not some all encompassing magic spell... Players have to bring part to the table and as we both know there's more than just technical ability at play..... It's not like we were tactically undone or technically outmatched......

Again, we were just caught sleeping by a team that quite clearly wanted it more.

I wonder whether these fringe players are that thick? They don't realize that if we're out of this competition early, we don't need a big squad. Then we wouldn't care about all the club trained, associate trained quota, so that they're gonna either be left out for the second half of the season, or even being shown the door in January. There is no way they would get game time in the league, after they just further confirmed to Conte as unreliable. Baffling.

:contehandshead:

Last edited:
Indeed not.

However there are still games in the league when we've played well or at least upped our game..... Compare City (H) vs Pacos (A) FFS.... Just in terms of focus, application etc. Both x.early in the season..... New gaffa to impress.

Oh come on; the 2nd half was a vast improvement.

...That's not to say in such instances we haven't let an inferior team already get a foothold in the game; thus making it harder than it needs to be for anyone called upon to play the cavalry role in said instance.

Oh course rotation is a necessity of the course of a long season........ I'm not questioning that for a moment.

Every B-team away fixture? Like i said; because of both occasion and new manager ism they should have been focussed and ready......

Of course coaching is important, but it's not some all encompassing magic spell... Players have to bring part to the table and as we both know there's more than just technical ability at play..... It's not like we were tactically undone or technically outmatched......

Again, we were just caught sleeping by a team that quite clearly wanted it more.

Even going back to our CL final run, we were shite in quite a few of those games that year. We didn’t turn up for the first half against Ajax at home in our then biggest ever CL game.

That wasn’t because we didn’t give a shit.

I don’t think our European performances are because we (players/coach) don’t give a shit. That’s kind of part of the reason for rotating, those players rotated in definitely give a shit, it’s often their chance to play.

We are just a pretty poor group of footballers, with a couple of exceptions, who’s deficiencies have been made even worse by some poor coaching since about 2017 onwards.

Even going back to our CL final run, we were shite in quite a few of those games that year. We didn’t turn up for the first half against Ajax at home in our then biggest ever CL game.

That wasn’t because we didn’t give a shit.

That wasn't because were were playing a rotation/B-team selection either though.

I don’t think our European performances are because we (players/coach) don’t give a shit. That’s kind of part of the reason for rotating, those players rotated in definitely give a shit, it’s often their chance to play.

We are just a pretty poor group of footballers, with a couple of exceptions, who’s deficiencies have been made even worse by some poor coaching since about 2017 onwards.

That's not definite though... That's very much what I and a large amount of people here finding themselves repeatedly questioning. Where's the hunger from these rotation options to seize that opportunity? ....To stake a claim for a start the following weekend? ...Why are they repeatedly being outfought? ....Why must it so often require a wake-up call like tonight?

(Rhetorical questions at this point, cos we've kinda come full circle.... Seems that you're taking their commitment [insert prefered word] for granted; I'm questioning it.)

Back
Top Bottom