England vs Spain (Euro Under 21 Final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I feel like this has been a consistent theme with this u21 side, and one of the reasons I don't have much faith in some of the forwards to make it to the top. Fair enough they all played really well in terms of build up, but none of them seem to have the killer instinct that makes you think they're a young Mbappe, Kane, Son etc.

Madueke in particular seems to tear apart his defender before acting like a complete clown to ruin the chance.

True. I think Archer will generally take most of his chances but Carsley did something different and when you win a tournament you can't argue with it really. I think we were wasteful throughout the tournament as we finished with 11 goals in total but could have had double that if players had shown a bit more composure in front of goal. We missed a number of what you would consider sitters or very close to. But most of them will go on to improve that side of their game.

France and England will probably be the best two teams in the world for the next 8 years.

s reactions know GIF

LeParisien LeParisien

Let’s hope DD goes the same way soon.
DD has reached 3 finals, been knocked out on penalties twice, and been knocked out by the eventual winners 1-0. That is an astonishingly good record. I think he can play better football but I don’t see any international teams over the past decade play great football. It’s about control and différence makers.

Happy SR has gone.

DD has reached 3 finals, been knocked out on penalties twice, and been knocked out by the eventual winners 1-0. That is an astonishingly good record. I think he can play better football but I don’t see any international teams over the past decade play great football. It’s about control and différence makers.

Happy SR has gone.

I think if he didn’t have such an outstanding squad that would be acceptable, but he does and it’s a bit like saying a PSG manager is doing well for one championship win and two runners ups and finished in the Europa places on gd a couple of times.

It sounds good without context. And the football has been unbelievably reactive/negative at times.

And the guy that appointed him and kept him in a job was a twat who’s now been sacked.

I think if he didn’t have such an outstanding squad that would be acceptable, but he does and it’s a bit like saying a PSG manager is doing well for one championship win and two runners ups and finished in the Europa places on gd a couple of times.

It sounds good without context. And the football has been unbelievably reactive/negative at times.

And the guy that appointed him and kept him in a job was a twat who’s now been sacked.

Bit of a poor comparison. France have the best/deepest squad in international football but not by some insane gap like PSG have in Ligue 1.

International tournaments are incredibly hard to win - very little prep time, every two years, they've had injuries to key players etc.

The style related criticisms are fair but I struggle to think of any NT who plays really good football at tournaments. Players are incredibly nervous, quite often tired, extreme heat is often a factor & there is very little in the way of chemistry.

And even if you get rid, the elite coaches who have a really progressive style in mind generally don't want to coach international football. You'll likely end up with a Zidane who will do the same - make them solid and reliant on the incredible individual talent.

Bit of a poor comparison. France have the best/deepest squad in international football but not by some insane gap like PSG have in Ligue 1.

International tournaments are incredibly hard to win - very little prep time, every two years, they've had injuries to key players etc.

The style related criticisms are fair but I struggle to think of any NT who plays really good football at tournaments. Players are incredibly nervous, quite often tired, extreme heat is often a factor & there is very little in the way of chemistry.

And even if you get rid, the elite coaches who have a really progressive style in mind generally don't want to coach international football. You'll likely end up with a Zidane who will do the same - make them solid and reliant on the incredible individual talent.
Can’t put it better

I take the point about international managers, who are invariably guys who for one reason or another can’t get a top club job, but it’s not impossible to get a half decent one who can only play reactive bus park football.

The last two major tournaments have been won by an aggressive, proactive Argentina (Scaloni) and Italy (Mancini). Germany (Low & Flick) and Spain (Del Bosque & Enrique) both tried to play proactive football with Germany and Spain both winning trophies while doing so. Croatia have been incredibly successful playing mostly decent football.

France could easily find a coach who could be much more proactive. And maybe they’d have actually won more than one trophy (which even in that game they were outplayed for large chunks).

I disagree about how far ahead the quality of their squad is, or at least has been for the last few years. They could have won a tournament with their reserve 11.

None of the traditional big nations have been strong for 4-6 years.

I take the point about international managers, who are invariably guys who for one reason or another can’t get a top club job, but it’s not impossible to get a half decent one who can only play reactive bus park football.

The last two major tournaments have been won by an aggressive, proactive Argentina (Scaloni) and Italy (Mancini). Germany (Low & Flick) and Spain (Del Bosque & Enrique) both tried to play proactive football with Germany and Spain both winning trophies while doing so. Croatia have been incredibly successful playing mostly decent football.

France could easily find a coach who could be much more proactive. And maybe they’d have actually won more than one trophy (which even in that game they were outplayed for large chunks).

I disagree about how far ahead the quality of their squad is, or at least has been for the last few years. They could have won a tournament with their reserve 11.

None of the traditional big nations have been strong for 4-6 years.

I honestly thought Argentina were mostly a lot of busy work and get the ball to Messi. And loads of penalties. Maybe I need to rewatch them a bit. Italy won a tournament on penalties but then have fallen off a cliff since so they’re a mixed bag.

I also found Spain in their prime incredibly boring to watch. I know we have disagreed on this before, but they had the biggest talent gap I’ve seen and won games 1-0 more than any team I have ever seen. Germany under Low were definitely good to watch, but bar a couple of games demonstrably more so than France? Not sure, I’d have to go back and watch.

Flick’s been a disaster as Germany coach so far. Croatia are a good point but feels like they too have had a lot of games where nerve and grit have got them through boring games, but the expectations are lower.

France could probably find a coach who would play nicer football. Whether in a tournament environment it would be any more successful is debatable imo. I think these tournaments are much more skewed towards ‘get the basics right’ coaches, whether that’s a result of those being the only managers who are interested or the nature of the competitions I couldn’t say for sure.

We disagree on how far ahead France are so won’t get in to it as don’t feel like it goes anywhere, ‘‘tis just an agree to disagree point. I certainly would agree they’ve had the best team in the world for a while but then two cup finals and a WC in that period is good going. Two of those tournaments lost by a total fluke wonder goal by fucking Eder and penalties. Fine ass margins.

Back
Top Bottom